Mothering Forum banner

Creative ways to induce labor (or how to horrify the neighbors)

10K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  gadivapeach72 
#1 ·
1. Get out on the hottest day at high noon and fire up the lawnmower. Proceed to cut the entire acre of lawn while hauling your 10-month-pregnant belly around and sweating profusely. When concerned neighbors show up asking if you need help, tell them cheerfully "I'm trying to get this baby out!"

** Added bonus: set up your DH on a lawnchair in the driveway with a frosty beer to watch you (note: my DH would not go for this
)

Ok, who's next?

See less See more
#2 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quagmire
** Added bonus: set up your DH on a lawnchair in the driveway with a frosty beer to watch you (note: my DH would not go for this
)
My DH would SO go for this. I may just try it this weekend. (plus it's thhe only way MY lawn is likely to get mown anyway...)

2. Walk a lot. It's hot out, so be sure to wear whatever is comfortable - swimsuit, pj's, everything is appropriate when you're 9 mos pg.

#5 ·
Quote:

1. Get out on the hottest day at high noon and fire up the lawnmower. Proceed to cut the entire acre of lawn while hauling your 10-month-pregnant belly around and sweating profusely. When concerned neighbors show up asking if you need help, tell them cheerfully "I'm trying to get this baby out!"

)

Ok, who's next?
This is halarious!! One problem - I think that would KILL me instead of getting the baby out!

#7 ·
Here's one that I actually tried last week. It completely exhausted me & made me ache like crazy, but still no baby:

Wait until it is at least 90 degrees outside. Pack up every piece of clothing, linens, blankets, comforters, anything washable that you can find, drag them down 3 flights of stairs (I live on 3rd flr), take them to the only laundromat in town that does not even have a fan & proceed to do all 10 loads of laundry that you brought with you. Make sure you spend lots of time sticking your head in those nice queen size dryers. Nothing makes you sweat quite so much. For about a minute I thought my water had broke, but nooooo, it was just sweat pouring down my leg
Oh & then when you are done, bring it all home & lug it back up 3 flights of stairs. Of course, it also helps that when you come home & all you want is a nice cold shower, you find out that the landlord is having some work done in the basement (the reason you couldn't use your own washer all week in the first place!) & they needed to turn off the water for a few hrs!!!!!!!

#8 ·
Wanna know how to get your groceries carried out at Wal-mart? Just fill up the buggy, check out with two children and make comments about not going back to exchange something that you didn't know had been opened before you put it in the buggy. She'll get someone to get one for you and was also sweet enough to get someone to push my buggy out. I had no idea what that guy was there for while we were checking out....but she had asked the manager to get someone to push my buggy out and load it all in the car for me. She must've felt REALLY sorry for me! But it was a pleasant surprise at Wal-mart, of all places.

#11 ·
Quote:

)

Ok, who's next?
My dh wouldn't go for it either. We actually had a neighbor in Florida who did this EVERY week. He sat in the shade drinking beer while his wife cut the grass. It really bothered dh, even though he joked a few times and asked, "What am I doing wrong?"

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kstsmith
Wanna know how to get your groceries carried out at Wal-mart? Just fill up the buggy, check out with two children and make comments about not going back to exchange something that you didn't know had been opened before you put it in the buggy. She'll get someone to get one for you and was also sweet enough to get someone to push my buggy out. I had no idea what that guy was there for while we were checking out....but she had asked the manager to get someone to push my buggy out and load it all in the car for me. She must've felt REALLY sorry for me! But it was a pleasant surprise at Wal-mart, of all places.
glad you got some help Mama!

love the lawnmower idea but I have NO idea how to cut the lawn and if you've seen any of my ranting posts, DH is a bit of a lawn FANATIC!! i'm sure i wouldn't do it "right"

tried yesterday to get this baby to move on out by grocery shopping. went to the grocery store to stock up and use up coupons.. i won't be hitting the grocery store for awhile, will make DH do it so i wanted to get some serious bargain shopping since no way will he do the comparison shopping i do!
ended up with a grocery cart full of great food and good bargains, saved a bunch of money and had at least 5 people ask me if they could help. kept refusing though, cause i parked right next to the cart return and i was hoping a little exertion in the heat would help move things along.
no such luck though... here i sit on my big pregnant butt eating up ice cream (that i got on sale, with a coupon for .75 a half gallon!!! regularly $4.79
)
can you say 10 half gallons in my freezer!!! ha!!

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ice_chick
For about a minute I thought my water had broke, but nooooo, it was just sweat pouring down my leg

I enjoyed going to the grocery store a few days before DD was born and when the cashier asked when my Due date was I told her "oh about a week ago..." (wasn't really only a couple of days passed at that point) but it was funny to see the sacker jump back about 3 feet. Like I was going to suddenly explode right there.
:

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ice_chick
Here's one that I actually tried last week. It completely exhausted me & made me ache like crazy, but still no baby:

Wait until it is at least 90 degrees outside. Pack up every piece of clothing, linens, blankets, comforters, anything washable that you can find, drag them down 3 flights of stairs (I live on 3rd flr), take them to the only laundromat in town that does not even have a fan & proceed to do all 10 loads of laundry that you brought with you. Make sure you spend lots of time sticking your head in those nice queen size dryers. Nothing makes you sweat quite so much. For about a minute I thought my water had broke, but nooooo, it was just sweat pouring down my leg
Oh & then when you are done, bring it all home & lug it back up 3 flights of stairs. Of course, it also helps that when you come home & all you want is a nice cold shower, you find out that the landlord is having some work done in the basement (the reason you couldn't use your own washer all week in the first place!) & they needed to turn off the water for a few hrs!!!!!!!
Oh my goodness! I don't know whether to
or

I think it's a little of both!

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by writermommy
My dh wouldn't go for it either. We actually had a neighbor in Florida who did this EVERY week. He sat in the shade drinking beer while his wife cut the grass. It really bothered dh, even though he joked a few times and asked, "What am I doing wrong?"

OMG that is too funny! I just loved the image... DH in one of those ribbed tank tops sitting out guzzling brew while his preggo wife sweats away. Anyway he was mortified enough that one of the neighbors actually came over and offered to cut the lawn! I told him that I explained what I was doing but he has a complex now.

And TeaghansMama, I hear you on the lawn. The outdoor work is "DH domain" so I am rarely allowed to touch anything except the garden!

#16 ·
From last pregnancy: go on a rugged hike with DH and friends. Haul your pregnant butt over hill and dale, up and down rock faces. Revel in the disbelieving looks of fellow hikers.

From this one: Become a Sherpa and carry your toddler everywhere. Purposely park at the very back of the parking lot at the grocery store, pop that 30 lb or more kid onto your hip, and make tracks. Your toddler's happy that you're giving out free rides, and you just hope you're making some progress down below.

#17 ·
i cut my yard all the time (2 acres) but the neighbors know to leave me alone. and it does not prompt labor...trust me. no matter how hot it is. my dh doesn't drink the beer outside, but does bring me water when he's home.

actually, i was planning on going out after the baby was born (a week) with my shirt stuffed with a basketball, cutting my grass, go inside for about an hour, and then come outside without the stuffing and go back to cutting. these are nosy, gossipy neighbors i'm trying to antagonize. that would get their tongues waging.
i don't really plan to tell the gossipers when my baby is born anyways.

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by YeeHa
It seems that just walking around in public gets people worried about me popping this baby out. I like to joke about my water breaking any minute-in the store, in a restaurant, etc...
i can believe it!

lately, store managers/workers seem to be afraid of me. while in sears recently, i asked an employee where was the restroom. she looked
and then asked "are you about to have the baby?" me--->
..i simply said I WANT TO USE THE RESTROOOM!
:

then earlier this week..while walking into the grocery store..the manager stops me and asked was i ok....me ---->
YES..im just fine..was coming for a few items..and then i looked at her and told her..DONT WORRY..i wont go into labor in here!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.