Emotionally...How is everyone doing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-23-2006, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's been a little over a month since Andrew's birth and I am still finding that I am having a hard time emotionally. Just when I think I will be ok.... At first I thought it was just because I have had so many changes in my life.....move,job,baby, no friends etc.... But, now it has become clear that there is more emotionally going on. Things that used to make me happy, no longer do. So, how is everyone doing? Can anyone relate?

Tricia, married to DH. 2MC's & 4 yrs ttc...finally mom to Andrew6/06 and Benjamin 10/09. Adopted bro & sis 2002. My 2 fav. words: Spay and Neuter! I'm an Ultimate Viewer, 2010!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2006, 02:16 AM

I can totally relate, mama. I'm just thinking about it.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:34 AM

relating!!!

Kelly, :Mama to Kevin, 10/1/05 & Seth, 7/7/06. ::
Old 07-24-2006, 10:40 AM

Tricia. Do you have plenty of help at home? Time to take a break, etc? Stuff like being able to take a shower and eat a solid meal make me feel so much better. Is there a local new mom group you can join? With DD1 it was winter and no one was going out. It was very isolating to sit at home in front of the tv Getting out to the post partum exercise classes helped a lot.

Hope you feel better soon!
Old 07-24-2006, 11:36 AM

:

I agree, I think that many people go through the same thing! I know I am! Trying to come up with new ideas to get out of a rut really helps, though when you are in the rut it is REALLY hard to brainstorm new ideas. Do you have any parks close? I went to one the other day (I don't have any friends in the town where I live -yet-) and this woman struck up a conversation with me, cool right? Well, she actually lived about 4 hours away. Talk about a downer, but I thought, well, at least I got to talk to a new person Maybe that will make it easier for me to strike up new conversation.

Is there a breastfeeding group where you live? LLL? Mall? You could always start mall walking in the morning, manytimes you will find other moms that you could meet and that would help with the emotional stuff. Having someone to talk with even if it's about nothing.

Good luck!

Mama crochetsmilie.gifto Max blahblah.gif9, Neva hearts.gif 7, & Esme fairy.gif4 and Julius guitar.gif 2.

Old 07-24-2006, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thank-you to everyone! Everyday seems to get a little better, but still I know I am struggling. Sawe Andrew's doctor today and he told me his wife is going to give me a call about getting together with her and some of her SAHM. I also attended a breastfeeding support group last week. I really enjoyed meeting those women. One day at a time!

Tricia, married to DH. 2MC's & 4 yrs ttc...finally mom to Andrew6/06 and Benjamin 10/09. Adopted bro & sis 2002. My 2 fav. words: Spay and Neuter! I'm an Ultimate Viewer, 2010!

Old 07-24-2006, 10:45 PM

i';m really good but I really WASN"T with my first baby.... spent the first six weeks at least thinking in the back of my mind that I"d made a mistake having a baby and it was just all too hard..........

so hugs to all the new mamas, i promise it DOES get easier
Old 07-25-2006, 09:43 PM

I had a couple of days where I couldn't stop crying... generally for no reason, but once it was really bad when my in-laws just wouldn't leave our house! Luckily dh is super supportive and started kicking everyone out. It's been a lot better since then. I'd love to start getting out of the house more, but it's been way too hot here - I'm afraid if I put the baby in the car, she'll fry.
Good luck, hope you start feeling better soon.

Carrie, wife to dh Jesse, mommy to : dd 7/9/06.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:59 PM

It has been 6 days since I had my DD and I am starting to feel really sad. There really aren't any relatives close by who I would ever trust to watch her, and even though I am thinking waaay too far ahead, I just can't help but think that DF and I are never going to be able to go out or do anything together ever again. I know it is silly, but I am just being consumed with the thought that having a baby was a really bad idea. I love DD soooo much and can't picture life without her, but sometimes I just feel so alone, especially when DF goes out- even if it is just to the store. I can't help but wonder how I will manage once he goes back to work...

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
Old 07-26-2006, 10:45 AM

I'm sinking...... Seems like the adrenaline and the drugs have worn off and I'm having a hard time coping with my c-section recovery and a new baby all by myself. My husband didn't end up taking any time off work beyond my hospital stay so I'm doing it myself. Its a lot harder than I thought! I try to get a shower, get dressed and open the blinds everyday..... but beyond that I'm stuck.

s to you Tricia and everyone else who is struggling. I keep thinking there is a light at the end of this tunnel. When my baby starts to recognise me and settle into life on earth I know it will be easier. I just have to think about him before myself. He had a rough transition too.

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
Old 07-26-2006, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amila
I just can't help but think that DF and I are never going to be able to go out or do anything together ever again.
That's how I feel too! DS has been a wonderful addition to our lives (I wouldn't want to be without him), but I'm doing well if I make the bed, take a shower and eat. Everything seems to take 4 times as long to accomplish and in the evenings when DH is home it seems like there's hardly time for dinner before it's time to collapse in to bed and start over on a new day. I know the first few months are a hard transition, but it seems like life will never settle in to any sort of routine.

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
Old 07-26-2006, 03:08 PM

On the day number 2 I was talking to my DH about how different it is this time, how I am NOT emotional and feel great, and 2 hours later I could not stop crying!! I took Pulsatilla 30C and 5 minutes later I was normal again! I tell you I LOVE homeopathy! Took is couple more times after that and no crying since that.
I am also taking Thyroidum 200C (also homeopathci remedy) to support my thyroid and I am feeling really fantastci! My worst was always evenings when I was dreading the nights....I was really scared to be alone and UP with the baby and feeling really depressed. As sson as evening was aproaching I'd started to get really scared about spending the night alone, walking around the quite house........not anymore!

Hope you feel better realy soon!!
Old 07-26-2006, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewaneecook
Everything seems to take 4 times as long to accomplish and in the evenings when DH is home it seems like there's hardly time for dinner before it's time to collapse in to bed and start over on a new day.
Goodness it certainly does. Just self-care stuff like going to the bathroom and showering take ridiculous periods of time because of all these perineum rituals I am doing... hot rinse with peri bottle, change pad, wash, etc. Not to mention my geyser boobs which immediately spurt all over the place once I'm out of the shower. I'm going through towels like crazy because they all get soaked with breastmilk. And I'm never sure what's going to leak first - do I do the breast pads or the sanitary pad first? If the bleeding would just stop I could deal with the rest. :: sigh ::
Old 07-27-2006, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

sewaneecook: I too, often feel like I am just doing the same things day after day. I often have no idea what day it is. I knew that life was going to be different after DS was born, but I guess I underestimated how lost I would feel. If I didn't have DH I honestly don't know what I would do! I think it is important for me to just keep as positive as I can and know that in time, life will get easier and better.

Old 07-28-2006, 04:35 AM

Like Witt, I had a really, really hard time with my first--aggravated by nursing issues that led to PPD. This time around is so much easier emotionally, since I know from experience that it really, truly, does get better and rather quickly, too. You will be surprised how soon you are out the door with your partners and little ones and how soon they grow and change beyond the "maintenance" period of the newborn stage and give you that little somethin' of a smile around 4 months, or so. It also helps that those post-partum hormones settle down after a few weeks, too, and the weepiness subsides. If it doesn't, consider talking to your care provider about PPD and what to look for.

Cindi, mama to Hannah (7/04) :, Eli & Sam (6/06) :
Old 07-28-2006, 12:34 PM

i had a really really hard tiem with day to day stuff the first time around
this time i am struggling with being the mom to two girls.. dealing with toddler issues with a newborn and just the overwhelming need of these two little individuals
i am truly understanding the quote about walking around with your heart outside your body

User Tag List