How's your perineum? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-24-2006, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm thinking of starting all my conversations this way... imagine that! "How are you? And your perineum? The family?"

I know, twisted humor... it's hot, baby is sleeping and I'm bored...

Anyway, just wondering how everyone's recovery is going. I had a small tear which didn't hurt initially and then around day 4 it started to suck a lot. My midwife told me that's the peak perineum pain day for some reason. She took a look and told me it's healing fine, but to air it plenty. It seems a little better today. The duck walk is gone anyway. Things still feel weird there when I cough or sneeze though.

Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2006, 08:00 PM

I had just minor tearing too and a few stitches. I feel much better than I did even 6 weeks after dd was born. Goes to prove that natural tearing is much better than a routine episiotomy!: Anyway, as soon as the bleeding stops I think I'll be ready to DTD again- ifeel like I could now but it's only been 6 days since ds was born so I am waiting a little longer. Anyone else have a bad experience with perinieum pain the last time and a good (better) experience this time?

Me : DD 5/05: DS1 7/06 : DS2 11/07: DS3 3/10
Old 07-24-2006, 08:15 PM

Mine feels GREAT! I had no tears, just few scretches, that's all. I am not even bleeding any more!! It's only 3 day PP!!! Even survived my first bowel movement today!
But yes, I remember with DS #1 that it did hurt around day 4-5.
So I'll see tomorrow.

I am just so happy to have my body back again! I took a first shower yesterday, came out and told my DH: "I have a normal vagina again!!"
Old 07-24-2006, 08:27 PM

good topic

well with a 10 and a half pound baby, i did not tear! but, my butthole is puckered out a little and feels a little sore. MIL recommended sitting on ice. I sent dh to go get me a lax/stool softener. The thought of a bm right now kinda scares me. Everything else is great (I'm also 3 days pp) 'cept the afterbirth pains. they actually hurt this time around, but that is just proof that my uterus is returning to normal.

it's soooo nice to loose that belly! i feel free
Old 07-24-2006, 08:54 PM

itchy but no pain.

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
Old 07-25-2006, 03:08 AM

It feels awesome, thanks for asking!

I had a skid mark, nothing more this time. I feel SO much better than I did with my episiotomy!
Old 07-25-2006, 08:07 AM

I also just had a minor tear that required a stitch or two. And it's a HUGE difference pain/recovery-wise from when I birthed ds#1, and had an episiotomy. I definitely was not feeling myself for a really long time.

With that said....

I'm still afraid to look at it in a mirror - - I tried last week, and I nearly fainted. My stitch area isn't even what's bothering me. It's all the bony area down there that's freaking me out. It still feels like they haven't gone back together yet (bear with me, and my very technical descriptions ). And the bony areas ache quite a bit. And I swear, if I get up too quickly, it feels like my insides are gonna drop outta me...
Old 07-25-2006, 09:37 AM

pavlina, very cool about your bleeding. Mine was almost gone at day 5 and then picked up again a bit. Now it's slowed again (day 8). Hoping it quits soon!

Now for the amazing news - after three births and three tears (well, first was epis), I actually had my last babe with NO tears! It's so freaking awesome - I have zero pain one week after, no peeing stinging, etc. The totally crazy part is that this was *not* a slow gentle delivery - K had shoulder dystocia and definitely had to be maneuvered, I was changing positions with his head out, etc etc.... yikes, I was sure I'd be transferring to hospital for major repair, but nothing!

wahooo!
Old 07-25-2006, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Damn, congrats to all you intact mamas! I thought if I listened to my body I'd end up with NO tear... *sigh* My body was like "aauuuuuuuuugh just get ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" so perhaps I shouldn't have listened to that!

I asked DH to look and he did... the he made a face and said I don't know what I'm looking at. Hmm, like you haven't spent enough time down there to give me an idea of before and after? Sheesh. Anyway no stinging, just a slightly raised area which feels better every day...
Old 07-25-2006, 11:20 AM

well, all I can say is you just do your best and get what you get. like i said, this last birth was the one I'd consider least likely to leave me intact, but it did. Who knows...

The only difference I can point to is that I kept my own hand down there through the entire birth of the head. I'm not sure if that helped me control the speed or what.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
nak

dd was 10 lbs but i only had a small skid mark, much better than the tear i had with 8 lb ds. they both were born with a hand by their face and the damage was done when their elbows came out. i'm surprised it wasn't worse with her, i only pushed for 10 minutes and she came flying out.

everything feels great, though. yesterday, at 6 days pp, i hiked 3 miles at mt rainier.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 07-26-2006, 10:26 AM

Well I'm feeling good now - but it's been nearly three weeks! Much better than the first time though, couple of stitches (and some way up where I can't feel) and skid marks. The b/m thing was particularly hard : as I'm on iron tablets but I must say for anyone whose turned to this thread for support - freeze a sanitary pad and hold it there for dear life and you will survive the first one!! Also lots of baths with comfrey and yarrow...
Old 07-26-2006, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarenka
I must say for anyone whose turned to this thread for support - freeze a sanitary pad and hold it there for dear life and you will survive the first one!! Also lots of baths with comfrey and yarrow...
Great idea!!!
Old 07-26-2006, 02:16 PM

My perineum is just fine, thanks! I feel like I haven't even had a baby.

Oh, wait, that's because I'm still pregnant.

(sorry, couldn't help myself) :
Old 07-26-2006, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire
I'm thinking of starting all my conversations this way... imagine that! "How are you? And your perineum? The family?"
Mine is doing just fine. I'm 4 wks pp, so I should be! I didn't have any tears, but things sure swelled to an abnormal size the first few days. I'm wanting to try to venture in to DTD again, but every time we think about trying, DS has a really fussy night (I think he's trying to keep himself an only child!). Maybe someday we'll actually get our chance.

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
Old 07-26-2006, 02:31 PM

My little DD practically pushed herself out! She was two inches from being out when I started pushing, and I had two tiny tears, one requiring 3 stitches. Around day 3 or 4 I had some slight pain peeing, but am totally fine now! I have what looks like a bruise down there, sorta right inside- like bleeding under the skin, but everything feels great! Still bleeding though.

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
Old 07-26-2006, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstie
good topic

well with a 10 and a half pound baby, i did not tear! but, my butthole is puckered out a little and feels a little sore.
that was me too! everything feels fine now but for 2 weeks or so i could not fully contract my butthole (yea yea tmi i know!). we havent dtd yet, but i *think* i could do it. i tore with ds and sex hurt for months, so im kind of squeamish to start, even though i didnt tear. i love this picture of my birth, because you can see my perineum stretching:http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/homema...e2.jpg&.src=ph (warning, graphic!! )

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

Old 07-26-2006, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Juice

Hang in there, mama! It won't be long, now!!
Old 07-27-2006, 12:12 AM

Quote:

I was just thinking the same thing. Yet another plus to still being pregnant!
Old 07-27-2006, 03:28 AM
~pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire
Quote:

:

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

Old 07-27-2006, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemademomma
that was me too! everything feels fine now but for 2 weeks or so i could not fully contract my butthole (yea yea tmi i know!). we havent dtd yet, but i *think* i could do it. i tore with ds and sex hurt for months, so im kind of squeamish to start, even though i didnt tear. i love this picture of my birth, because you can see my perineum stretching:http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/homema...e2.jpg&.src=ph (warning, graphic!! )
cool picture!

mine is ok I think. At 3 weeks, (I was told my stitches would bedissolved by then) I embarked on an exercise program. dumb!! I think I pulled apart whatever my stitches had been holding together. It still hurts to sit and nurse sometimes.

User Tag List