Mothering Forum banner

For the babes who HATE diaper changes...

799 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  mum2tori 
#1 ·
Get a wipe warmer.
DS went from hating diaper changing time to being able to sleep through it. I used to think it was a silly invention until I realized that DS was fine with a diaper change until the wiping part. I am now sold on them ... it will be one thing we pack when traveling! BTW, they work with cloth wipes too (that's what we use).

See less See more
#3 ·
If you can't get a wipe warmer, then this works pretty well, too. Take two wipes and ball them up in your hand while you prep the clean diaper and the baby. By the time you open the diaper the wipes are a bit less cold and not as shocking to the little one who just came out of a 98.6 degree womb.

#5 ·
My Fritz doesn't like diaper changes but he couldn't care less if the water on the wipe is warm or cold. It's the whole having his parts uncovered that he doesn't like. It's near impossible to give this kid diaperless time. I have a 6 and 4 year old who prefer to be naked all the time and here my infant is modest.

#6 ·
lol - i think i got ours when my 1st ds was two years old? i love it. i keep considering the one that runs off the car charger ... but i also have one where you heat up this mini bucky and put it in with the wipes and keeps them warm on the road. i have to go look for it. (all cloth wipes here, too - they fit just fine.)

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckymama
but i also have one where you heat up this mini bucky and put it in with the wipes and keeps them warm on the road. i have to go look for it. (all cloth wipes here, too - they fit just fine.)
Where can I find one for the road? That sounds GREAT!

#8 ·
I have one that I use with my cloth wipes and Lochlan loves it. He calms down when I put the warm wipe on him. The only problem is that its a lot of upkeep becasue they start to smell a little musty if I don't put fresh ones in everyday. I'm just using water right now but I'd like to get some kind of solution going soon. We still are using sposie wipes along with the cloth for those really big messy poops.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lotus.blossom
The only problem is that its a lot of upkeep becasue they start to smell a little musty if I don't put fresh ones in everyday. I'm just using water right now but I'd like to get some kind of solution going soon.
I add a few drops of tea tree oil to the water and that seems to help with the mustiness. I use them up about every 2-3 days.

#10 ·
Aaah yes, the greatest invention... the wipes warmer. We've had one since DD#1 was a few weeks old. I seem to have to buy a new one with each child though. First I needed a second one when DS#1 was born because we had two seperate changing areas for DD and DS#1. Then with DS#2 the warmer that was DD's... the lid broke.
: Now I need to replace the one that is currently DD#2's because the lid on it broke!
:
: Guess they only *last* about 2 years.

The running water in the sink doesn't work for us because it takes like 5 minutes for the water to get hot enough and I hate to 1. wait that long and 2. waste that much water.

Secret to keeping the water/solution from getting musty... either use distilled water (if you buy it) or boiled water (microwave on high for about 10 minutes, I do 2 quarts at a time). You can't use just tap water without boiling it first. You need to kill the little things living in the water. The heat of the warmer makes them grow too much.

A little Tea Tree Oil also helps.

I make up solution by the gallon. Its just easier for me that way. I microwave 2 quarts at time and pour them into a gallon jug (leftover from buying a gallon of distilled water). I add about 20+ drops of Lavender EOil, 15+ drops of Tea Tree Oil, 10+ drops of Sweet Orange EOil, a tsp of Burt's Bee's Apricot Oil, 1 tsp of Weleda's Calendula Oil and a squirt of Baby shampoo (whatever brand we happen to have at the time). Instant wipes solution.

We only use cloth diapers and cloth wipes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.