NIP, yet? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 07-28-2006, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok ladies...let's share our NIP locations so far...
for us, not very exciting but... pediatrician's office, panera bread, hospital lab, parking lot of bbq stand, our back yard in the swing...

Kelly, :Mama to Kevin, 10/1/05 & Seth, 7/7/06. ::
#2 of 35 Old 07-28-2006, 06:17 PM

everywhere I go, mall, target, walmart, grocery store, chiro, ped, my front yard (in my very small-minded neighborhood), resturants, parks! Though I have to (shamefully) that I have nursed more in my car now than I did the entire time I nursed DS. Why? Because I can have the temp what I want, DS can be nicely strapped into his carseat with snack or toy and not running wild! Plus the rear seat of my van is SOOO comfy! Add to it that dd cannot stand the car seat and I placate her by nursing after she is in the seat.

Mama crochetsmilie.gifto Max blahblah.gif9, Neva hearts.gif 7, & Esme fairy.gif4 and Julius guitar.gif 2.

#3 of 35 Old 07-28-2006, 06:26 PM

noplace yet unkess you count my own family room in front of the cable guy.
#4 of 35 Old 07-28-2006, 06:34 PM

oh dear - lemme think! 2 birthday parties - 1 in a park, one in a residence with lots of strangers (so i count it as "IP") ... the beach, the grocery store, trader joe's, my ds' preschool parking lot, the container store, every restaurant i've been to in the last month, doc's office waiting room and the farmers' market. that's all i can think of right now.
#5 of 35 Old 07-28-2006, 07:16 PM

Practically everywhere we've been in the last month ... mall, grocery store, wal-mart, target, panera, blockbuster, pediatrition's office, midwife's office, at the massage therapist's, and tonight when we go to dinner at steak and shake I'll probably nurse there too. I'm just waiting for someone to tell me I can't nurse in public so I can give them my .02!

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
#6 of 35 Old 07-28-2006, 07:42 PM

Oh so many places. It's my third kid. I'm very used to NIP. Let me see what I can think of... IHOP, walking through Target, KFC, my favorite quilt store, church, my apartment as half a dozen men from church walked in and out helping us move our furniture out, a few other places I can't think of at the moment... not bad for having an only 17 day old baby (but he really, really likes to nurse... a lot).
#7 of 35 Old 07-28-2006, 08:04 PM

Pretty much everywhere we've ventured out. The coolest place by far was the library the other day...I was one of 3 nursing mamas!!

I was a renegade public nurser w/ my other 3. I'm a little more tame this time. Not sure why.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#8 of 35 Old 07-28-2006, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yep! Hiking at Mt Rainier when DD was 6 days old. DH took the picture, behind him is the trail where all the other hikers are.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#9 of 35 Old 07-28-2006, 10:34 PM

Heh, no, but I've pumped in public...how's that! Had the pump plugged into the car charger when we were shuttling between the hospital and home and I kept it going while he filled the car up w/gas. Wonder if that construction worker even noticed? =)

Cindi, mama to Hannah (7/04) :, Eli & Sam (6/06) :
#10 of 35 Old 07-28-2006, 11:05 PM

We've only been out once, but I did it in the restaurant and in the car on the way home (hubby was getting ice cream, and we hadn't intended on stopping for more than a minute, so I didn't want to drag Adia out too.)
#11 of 35 Old 07-28-2006, 11:53 PM

EVERYWHERE. And let me tell you - Singapore has some serious bf hangups. Even though most times I bf babe in the sling (so you can't see a darn thing) while walking around the mall/stores, the fact that you can *tell* I'm nursing makes them nervous. I've actually had two different stores offer to show me where the "mother's" room was (don't get me wrong - - they offered *very* nicely, not snippety, or snidely, etc.) They were soooo nervous, having me bf in their store. Of course, both times I politely declined.....and continued to browse their store for another 30 minutes.
#12 of 35 Old 07-29-2006, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBug & BabyBug
Yep! Hiking at Mt Rainier when DD was 6 days old. DH took the picture, behind him is the trail where all the other hikers are.
so beautiful!!
#13 of 35 Old 07-29-2006, 03:37 PM

Quote:
That is such a gorgeous photograph!

I haven't been out much, so my only NIP experiences include the childrens' section of the library, the parking lot of the hardware store (DH was just running in and out to grab a hose for our washing machine), and my living room as DH's band members and manager walked around, being hilariously careful not to look directly at me.

Anna , partner to Chad geek.gif , mommy to Aidan (10/12/04) and Nate (07/18/06) fencing.gif , and Violet fairy.gif(10/23/07) .

#14 of 35 Old 07-29-2006, 08:11 PM

mostly walmart. also shopko (my job), the dr's office...umm...I haven't been anywhere else. oh yeah the diner where we go to have breakfast on sunday mornings.

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#15 of 35 Old 07-29-2006, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Beautiful pic, but good lord, you were hiking at 6 days PP? You are a woman of steel!

We haven't really been anyplace until today. I took DD to the doc for her checkup and she was fussy so I started nursing her when I got there - then we got called. Doh! So I walked across the waiting room, bare midriff and obviously breastfeeding.

Today we went to a carnival and the pool. I was fully prepared with snappy comebacks fr both situations, but DD slept the whole damn time!
#16 of 35 Old 07-29-2006, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire
Beautiful pic, but good lord, you were hiking at 6 days PP? You are a woman of steel!
We only hiked for a few miles. It was a cooler there with a nice breeze and at home (about 2.5 hours away) it was in the mid-90's with no AC. I was happy to be outside!

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#17 of 35 Old 07-29-2006, 09:32 PM

Yeah, we've nursed just about every place we've been to as well: storytime at the library (while my toddler dd was running around stealing other kids' nametags...lovely), in the lobby at the hospital, at the clinic before his one week well baby check, in the car several times...wow...I guess we haven't been to many places.
#18 of 35 Old 07-30-2006, 01:14 AM

Luckily I'm an old hand at NIP since this is my fourth.

Started off this time with NIP in the wheelchair as I was being released from the hospital LOL through the hallway, down the elevator, through the lobby and out to the car. Went pass a ton of people in the lobby.

Then its been... the Pedi's office (was lots of funny watching the med student try to act all nonchalant : ), Walmart, Cheddar's (restaurant), playgroup, parking lot in front of Luby's, the park (several times), Barton Springs (local water hole), HEB & Central Market (grocery stores), Whole Foods (grocery store), Hancock's, Half-Price Books and Target.

Not too bad since we haven't left the house too many times in the past 3+ weeks. Basically every place I've been with her...
#19 of 35 Old 07-30-2006, 07:59 PM

with this baby, I've only been out a few times and the one time I did nurse it was in the courtroom on the 15th for my custody hearing.
#20 of 35 Old 07-30-2006, 11:06 PM

I wish! I mostly nurse in my car. Nursing is still a big production for us at home with pillows. We also do the football hold so far and that is not even remotely discreet...

P.S. Hope everything went well in court Mary!
#21 of 35 Old 08-01-2006, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Oh I am so jealous!! I have been wanting to get to Rainier, and we just haven't had the chance to yet. I am probably closer to it then you are, so I have no excuse (you are up in Bremerton area aren't you?). By the way - you look great in that picture!!

Okay - so NIP ....

Target, Ikea (several times) (I shamelessly love that place SO MUCH!!), Macy's, Nordstrom, backseat of my car several times, my place of work, and taco bell (I know, but when you want a taco...).

We just haven't left the house that much. And that's okay with me. Well, NOW it's not okay with me, it was okay with me at the time. I am starting to get SERIOUSLY stir crazy. Unfortunately, my best friend, who is newly pregnant herself, suddenly stopped calling me or stopping over. I haven't seen her for more than two hours TOTAL since this baby has been born. I feel like I just lost my Best Friend, and unfortunately, I never really made any other friends when I moved down here. So I feel tremendously alone, and I don't have anyone else to hang out with. It's a real bummer. But, hey, I digress.
#22 of 35 Old 08-01-2006, 08:27 PM
~pi

I haven't been out of the house much, so aside from the hospital, the midwives' clinic, and my grandmother's nursing home on her 90th birthday, I haven't nursed in public at all. I've nursed in front of a bunch of people at my house, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire
:

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#23 of 35 Old 08-30-2006, 10:25 PM

nak

I had to look up this old thread... I was not going to nip...I have nursed all of my children, but have always found a dressing room or other private plase as needed... Yesterday I had Kasen in the Moby and had to nurse him at Freddys so I went to the dressing room for 20 minutes before resuming my shopping. Today I was in Wal-Mart and just didn't have time to stop...so I nursed him in the sling as I did my shopping. HOW awesome!!! (My dh would have died...he covers me up when older ds comes in the room! While the sling covered everything, he still would have been mortified!)

Mrs. S - Crunchy child of The King, Wife to my best friend, and Mama to my many blessings.

#24 of 35 Old 08-30-2006, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSurplus
nak

I had to look up this old thread... I was not going to nip...I have nursed all of my children, but have always found a dressing room or other private plase as needed... Yesterday I had Kasen in the Moby and had to nurse him at Freddys so I went to the dressing room for 20 minutes before resuming my shopping. Today I was in Wal-Mart and just didn't have time to stop...so I nursed him in the sling as I did my shopping. HOW awesome!!! (My dh would have died...he covers me up when older ds comes in the room! While the sling covered everything, he still would have been mortified!)
Congratulations! Isn't it liberating?? I love it.

I have nursed just about every single place we have ever gone since this baby was born. I couldn't even begin to give you a list. And I have totally stopped caring who see's my boob too. Even though that is the case, I still have this wild hair up my butt to knit a really pretty nursing blanket for coverup purposes. I do coverup still in high traffic areas. It is for everyone else though, not for me!!
#25 of 35 Old 08-31-2006, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I haven't had to yet, but with my middle dc I nursed while shopping in walmart many times. It was like we had a little secret from the entire store. I'm sure I had a pretty smug look on my face, LOL!

So far we've NIPd at the pediatrician's office, restaurants, my ds's school (dd was his first show and tell, so I nursed her beforehand so she'd be calm), but so far she's slept most places we've gone as she's not quite three weeks yet. We went to church for the first time last weekend and she slept the entire time! Oh, well, there will be PLENTY of time for NIP as she grows. There's no laws on the books in my state so I double-dog-dare someone to say something to me just so I can raise a big fuss about it and get some legislation going.
#26 of 35 Old 08-31-2006, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanyas
There's no laws on the books in my state so I double-dog-dare someone to say something to me just so I can raise a big fuss about it and get some legislation going.
LOL! Kasen has yet to sleep through church. When I was pregnant with him he would always kick when we were singing - so I thought he must love singing (like the rest of us). He HATES it!! LOL...if I try to sing to him he cries!! And, on Wednesday evening and Sunday morning during Bible class, there's a class in the nursery - so I can't go in there to nurse him. LOL. We might be NIPing in the auditorium soon! (While he sleeps GREAT at night, he nurses nearly hourly during the day.)

Sabbath - "liberating"! That's the word. It was GREAT!

Mrs. S - Crunchy child of The King, Wife to my best friend, and Mama to my many blessings.

#27 of 35 Old 08-31-2006, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, my best friend, who is newly pregnant herself, suddenly stopped calling me or stopping over. I haven't seen her for more than two hours TOTAL since this baby has been born. I feel like I just lost my Best Friend, and unfortunately, I never really made any other friends when I moved down here. So I feel tremendously alone, and I don't have anyone else to hang out with.

I never saw this when originally posted. Are things better now? Have you heard from her?

As for nip, I haven't done much...mostly in the car. Nursing is still a big production for us and ds sometimes takes a while to latch on. I also can only do the football hold and have to hold my floppy breast with my other hand or it doesn't work (even with a rolled up cloth). I would love to be able to do other holds but no luck so far! Maybe someday...
#28 of 35 Old 09-01-2006, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapdiva
I never saw this when originally posted. Are things better now? Have you heard from her?
Nope! I haven't. But thankfully, I became good friends with my doula, and have been hanging out with her quite a bit. I have joined up with some Mom Playgroups, been going to a lot of la leche league meetings/events, and joined up with a new mom-centric knitting group. All in all, I guess I don't need her anymore. It's a shame. She lives RIGHT next door to me (literally, we share a duplex) and I haven't so much as seen her more than those two hours since the baby was born. And she is pregnant her self. So, it's probably gonna come as a great shock to her when she comes pounding on my door at 2 am with a screaming newborn, and I don't run to bat for her. She has never even changed so much as a diaper. I don't think she is going to make an easy transition to motherhood. I think she will figure it out, and now I have to decide if I want to be the 'bigger person' and help her out when I know she will need it. I also worry that she won't stick with breastfeeding (total wuss), and that she will end up with a birth that she hates (husband said she wasn't allowed to have a waterbirth). I guess we shall see....
#29 of 35 Old 09-01-2006, 10:16 PM

Wow I can't believe she is that close and you don't see her. Especially being pg - you'd think she'd be over every day - i know i would've been! Glad you're finding other friends!
#30 of 35 Old 09-01-2006, 11:06 PM

I have nursed at church, the mall, around family, at work (he comes with), in the car...booo, I will be nursing during a play on Monday, docs office (my two neighbors with 3 and 4 wk olds are so concerned with timing it around feeding, and bringing a bottle: ), I think that may be all.

Busy wife to dh for 5 years and mama to ds1 (11.09.04), ds2 (7.17.06) and ds3 coming Aug 09. :::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page