MIA, but I'm back...update - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-14-2006, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, my baby had a very long first week of life. When we brought him home from the hospital Sunday, he weighed 8lb 7oz & over the next 2 days he nursed nonstop, but was crying all the time (when he wasn't eating) & he had no wet or dirty diapers. Weds I took him to the doctor & he was down to 7 lb 5 oz & he was dehydrated so they immediately sent him to the hospital where he went through so many tests & I feel so guilty for putting him through all of it. His main problem turns out, he had some meconium blocked up in him & once they got that all out, he was a much happier baby. Don't know why he was dehydrated since he ate all the time, but they put him on IV fluids & he has been gaining weight. They had thought he had a UTI also & took some cultures & put him on antibiotics. They also did a spinal tap to test for meningitis & put him on antibiotics for that also. With a 5 day old baby they did not want to miss anything, but I think he was put through a lot of unnecessary tests & I feel really guilty. They never were sure about the UTi since they could not get a clean urine sample so they gave him the meds just in case. On Sun, he was up to 8lbs & well hydrated & a much happier baby so we finally got to go home. It was hard spending the first week in the hospital with him & I am so gald to be home. He is nursing constantly. They don't want him to go more than 2 hrs without feedings so sometimes I need to wake him up until we get the hang of this nursing thing so I won't be on here for a while, but hope to be back soon so I can read up on how everyone else is doing. He still doesn't have a name. His baby naming ceremony/circ. (religious) had to be pushed off since he was in the hospital, but on Sunday he will finally have a name!!
#2 of 6 Old 08-14-2006, 01:04 PM

I'm so sorry he had to go through that. But I am so glad he is home and healthy now!
#3 of 6 Old 08-14-2006, 01:12 PM

What an ordeal! I'm glad everything is okay now. You might want to start pounding some probiotics to ward off thrush from the antibiotics and also give some to ds on your finger tip....
#4 of 6 Old 08-14-2006, 02:09 PM

Poor little guy... spinal tap is not so comfortable Glad to hear everyone is ok now!
#5 of 6 Old 08-14-2006, 02:13 PM
~pi

I'm so sorry he (and you!) went through that. So glad to hear all is well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_chick
I feel so guilty for putting him through all of it.
Don't beat yourself up, mama. Something was clearly up and you addressed it as best as you could. Wouldn't it have been much more guilt-inducing if it had been something much more serious and you missed it?

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#6 of 6 Old 08-14-2006, 09:14 PM

I'm so sorry you've been going through such a rough and scary time. I'm glad to hear that your boy is doing better now!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page