How are you sleeping with co-sleeping? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-21-2006, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dh and I did not plan on co-sleeping before Andrew was born. It just kind of happened. I love waking up to see his smiling face in the morning as well as placing him in the middle of the bed, only to find him snuggled up next to me in the middle of the night. The only problem is that I don't feel like anyone is getting any sleep. Dh and I can't sleep because we wake up to every noise he makes as well as we feel like he is waking up everytime we move. He used to only wake up once a night when he was in the basinet and now it is several times. I tried placing him back in the bassinet, but he just wakes up right away. Any advice? Anyone else experienceing this?

Tricia, married to DH. 2MC's & 4 yrs ttc...finally mom to Andrew6/06 and Benjamin 10/09. Adopted bro & sis 2002. My 2 fav. words: Spay and Neuter! I'm an Ultimate Viewer, 2010!

#2 of 12 Old 08-21-2006, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm sleeping a lot better than I did in the 3rd trimester! DD is a noisy sleeper, but so was DS so I'm used to it.

No advice for you on getting your DS into his bassinet. DS always screamed his head off when I would try to put him down in his crib so I gave up trying. (He coslept until 16 months.) Where does your DS nap during the day?

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#3 of 12 Old 08-21-2006, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Not sure I want to have DS in his basinet, but I do need him to sleep longer and better. I can handle not getting a lot of sleep, but I worry about DH and DS.

DS sleeps in our bed most of the time for naps. Lately, I have been able to convince him to sleep in his crib a couple of times.

Tricia, married to DH. 2MC's & 4 yrs ttc...finally mom to Andrew6/06 and Benjamin 10/09. Adopted bro & sis 2002. My 2 fav. words: Spay and Neuter! I'm an Ultimate Viewer, 2010!

#4 of 12 Old 08-22-2006, 10:02 AM

We were like that with DS1. He ALWAYS slept better alone, but we did not have a choice. We had no crib or bassinet and no money to buy one.
Now with DS2 - I sleep with him and DH sleep with DS1 on other room. I am now used to the little noises he makes and I sleep through most of them. And he unlike DS1 sleeps REALLY good next to me.
#5 of 12 Old 08-22-2006, 11:32 AM

Honestly, not too good. We co-slept with DD1 out of desperation for rest since she'd wake right up whenever sje was put down alone and we planned it for DD2 but she is NOISY. Grunts, moans, squeaks, farts, wiggling, kicking... and that's when she's sleeping! Lately I feel like I never get more than 90 uninterrupted minutes of sleep.

DD1 was pretty noisy too so I think some of this will resolve itself with time, especially after the digestive system newness wears off. Just letting you know you're not alone... if you want you might trysidecarring the crib or a co-sleeper and moving him when he's very deeply asleep...
#6 of 12 Old 08-22-2006, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire
Honestly, not too good. We co-slept with DD1 out of desperation for rest since she'd wake right up whenever sje was put down alone and we planned it for DD2 but she is NOISY. Grunts, moans, squeaks, farts, wiggling, kicking... and that's when she's sleeping! Lately I feel like I never get more than 90 uninterrupted minutes of sleep.

DD1 was pretty noisy too so I think some of this will resolve itself with time, especially after the digestive system newness wears off. Just letting you know you're not alone... if you want you might trysidecarring the crib or a co-sleeper and moving him when he's very deeply asleep...
:

We have a lovely, full-sized co-sleeper attached to our bed that has been used almost entirely for naps and changing diapers! The boys are SOOOOO noisy, I simply cannot get a minute's sleep with them right next to me, so we have another bed set up for them in the bathroom attached to our room (they co-sleep swaddled with one another). In fact, even as they are napping now, I keep running into the room because they are both making so much noise in their sleep, I keep thinking they are waking up. I do remember the noise settling down with my daughter after a couple of months, so we hope to actually move them back into our room when that happens. For now, they are close enough for us to hear when the groans/burps/farts/stretches/squeaks/etc. reach a crescendo that indicates they *may* actually be waking up!

Cindi, mama to Hannah (7/04) :, Eli & Sam (6/06) :
#7 of 12 Old 08-22-2006, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yin Yang
Now with DS2 - I sleep with him and DH sleep with DS1 on other room.
I'm glad its not just me that has this 'unusual' sleeping arangement. My friends are always asking when i'll get to sleep in the same bed as my husband - i say i prefer to sleep with the baby because he doesn't snore and hog the bed.

I think having more space is the key for successful co-sleeping - in dh/ds1 room we have a double & single mattress on the floor and i have a double for me and the babe in my room. The little snuffles don't wake me up i wait until its the full on i'm hungry noises. Could you send your dh to sleep in another room for a couple of nights and see how that works?

vikki

Mummy to T 06/04, L 08/06, R 08/09
:
#8 of 12 Old 08-22-2006, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleduck
I'm glad its not just me that has this 'unusual' sleeping arangement. My friends are always asking when i'll get to sleep in the same bed as my husband - i say i prefer to sleep with the baby because he doesn't snore and hog the bed.

I think having more space is the key for successful co-sleeping - in dh/ds1 room we have a double & single mattress on the floor and i have a double for me and the babe in my room. The little snuffles don't wake me up i wait until its the full on i'm hungry noises. Could you send your dh to sleep in another room for a couple of nights and see how that works?

vikki
See, that's another issue - snoring husband!! After our kids sleep on their own I am not sure what I will do about my DH!! There's no way I can sleep in one room with him.
WE have a kind size bed, but as I said we don't all sleep in it because of my DH's snoring....
#9 of 12 Old 08-22-2006, 04:16 PM

One of my friends sleeps with her 4.5 month old DD and the DH sleeps with their almost 3 yo DD in another room. Whatever works for you guys!!
#10 of 12 Old 08-22-2006, 11:00 PM

Sabbath - this is our arrangement. We all do much better this way. I imagine we'll all be back together sometime within the next 9-12 months.
#11 of 12 Old 08-23-2006, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PancakeGoddess
Sabbath - this is our arrangement. We all do much better this way. I imagine we'll all be back together sometime within the next 9-12 months.
Sweet! I think that my friend rather prefers it this way. But, her husband snores like a buzz saw. I actually think it's rather adorable the way that my DD takes up half the bed. I love that she scoots right up to me during the night. And I am so thankful that DH is there to help me at 2 am get her on her 'side' again!!

And you have 4 boys, right? Man! Does he sleep with the next youngest then?
#12 of 12 Old 08-23-2006, 08:53 AM

Yes, we have a major snoring factor, too.

The big boys, 9 and 11, sleep in their room (although we have an extra twin bed in the family bedroom for visitors). DP sleeps with the toddler.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page