Baby beds????????? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 01-11-2006, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone thinking about this yet? We were crib people with ds #1, but I can't help but think that MAYBE he would have slept better (or slept at all!) with one of these contraptions....anyone know/heard anything?

http://www.naturebaby.co.nz/organic_..._hammocks.html

http://www.smilechild.co.uk/product_...roduct_id=1314

http://www.ambybaby.com/

robyn
#2 of 45 Old 01-11-2006, 11:58 PM

Huh. My babies have always just slept in bed with me, but those look pretty dang cool. Especially for naps. My youngest would only nap in the sling, and that didn't always work out so well! Especially while chasing after 2 other ones, one of which was also nursing.

I might just have to look into one of those. Way better than a stupid swing for sure.
#3 of 45 Old 01-12-2006, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

"amen" to the stupid swing comment...my son sat in his for approximately 30 seconds, screamed the whole time, and that was the end of that! It collected dust for the next 8 months until we finally moved and boxed it back up. What a waste of $$.
#4 of 45 Old 01-12-2006, 02:13 AM

We will be cosleeping.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#5 of 45 Old 01-12-2006, 09:58 AM

We have friends whose son just graduated from an Ambybed and they loved it. I prefer to just have baby in bed with me for the first 6 months, then transition them to a port-a-crib next to our bed, then around a year into a room with the boys. We don't have a lot of room, so it' going to be tricky! We have a swing and love it. It lives in the bathroom, so that baby can swing while I'm in the shower and we can see each other. We also have another port-a-crib downstairs for naps, a moses basket, 2 slings, a Baby Bjorn, and a bouncy seat that my first son LOVED and my second son HATED (but then again he cried NO MATTER WHAT for the first 2 months). Crossing my fingers for an easy-going baby!!

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#6 of 45 Old 01-12-2006, 10:11 AM

I've been thinking about the Amby too...I've even been tossing around the idea of borrowing a crib (never had one with my first two) simply because this baby might prefer a quiet, dim place to snooze at night or by day (I babysit for millions of kids and our house is always hopping).

I am not as comfortable as I once was leaving the baby to sleep in the middle of my bed... with all the kids and blankets and pets and with my mind and attention being so easily distracted, I just worry about a suffocation or something. I am getting old, jeesh.
#7 of 45 Old 01-12-2006, 10:39 AM

We will probably get a co-sleeper to attach to our bed. The baby may end up in our bed anyway, but I really like to stretch out and this seems like a good compromise.

I've seen those ambybeds, and I have heard good things about them. They are a little too expensive for us though. Over $200 if I recall correctly.
#8 of 45 Old 01-12-2006, 10:58 AM

We plan on co-sleeping(ahhh, I can actually say that here without getting bombarded with accusations that I am going to smother my baby). I have heard a lot of people rave about the Amby.

~Robyn mama to
James, Sean, Christopher, and Michael~

#9 of 45 Old 01-12-2006, 11:30 AM

Have also heard that other people liked the Amby. We got the Arm's Reach co-sleeper though for #1, and assume we will use it again this time. It was a nice way to "partially" co-sleep while the baby was so small that I was very paranoid about him. We transitioned to full co-sleeping when he grew out of the co-sleeper at about 6 months. We also have a crib in the nursery, and he sleeps there when we aren't in bed with him, for safety (daytime naps and during the early part of the night).
#10 of 45 Old 01-12-2006, 12:28 PM

We don't have a big bed, and we stretch out, so I'm going to put a pack n play next to the bed. I really would like the co sleeper, but I can't justify that kind of money. If I find it at a consignment shop or something I may go for it though. DH is thinking maybe he'll side car the crib for us after the baby is too big for the bassinet insert of the pack n play. We'll have the crib for naps...I hope I use it, but if babe ends up sleeping in the sling I'll pass it on to my sister. I freak out at the idea of putting babe in the middle of my bed for naps...we have dogs (who don't get on the bed, but I don't put anything past them) and heavy down bedding. And my bed is pretty high off the ground! And the dogs also mean the floor is out of the question for naps. So a crib is pretty much a given for me.

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!
#11 of 45 Old 01-12-2006, 12:56 PM

We did a partial crib/co-sleep thing for the first few months with ds and he wasn't a good sleeper so I'm really thinking hard about the Amby. I'd heard about it too late for ds - but I know it would have definitely helped with his sleep since he really just wanted to bounce the entire time he was sleeping. Stop bouncing....start crying.............oh, not ready to think about those nights again

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#12 of 45 Old 01-12-2006, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peilover010202
We did a partial crib/co-sleep thing for the first few months with ds and he wasn't a good sleeper so I'm really thinking hard about the Amby. I'd heard about it too late for ds - but I know it would have definitely helped with his sleep since he really just wanted to bounce the entire time he was sleeping. Stop bouncing....start crying.............oh, not ready to think about those nights again

I think we have the same son.....
#13 of 45 Old 01-12-2006, 01:48 PM

This is such a great thread! I'm pg w/ my first & definitely don't want to do the crib in the nursery thing, but my hubby is 6' 4" & we only have a queen bed (which is brand new- doh!)... so we just want to think about all of our options. We're keeping an open mind, who knows, me may really like all snuggling up in our queen or something else may work better for us.

It's so helpful to hear what's worked for you all! Thanks everyone!

Jen
#14 of 45 Old 01-12-2006, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMidwife
This is such a great thread! I'm pg w/ my first & definitely don't want to do the crib in the nursery thing, but my hubby is 6' 4" & we only have a queen bed (which is brand new- doh!)... so we just want to think about all of our options. We're keeping an open mind, who knows, me may really like all snuggling up in our queen or something else may work better for us.

It's so helpful to hear what's worked for you all! Thanks everyone!

Jen
We just bought our queen cushy pillowtop last year too. I am not planning on co-sleeping (at least when they are babies), since I am a full contact sleeper (poking DH in the ribs when he hogs the bed, for example). I do plan on having the crib in our bedroom, or buying a co-sleeper.

You know whats great? Not having to worry about decorating a nursery!
#15 of 45 Old 01-12-2006, 01:57 PM

I loooove the natures sway hammock. I have been looking at getting one for this babe just for daytimes as we don't have much space.

We used to live in Mexico on the coast and we never had a bed. The boys took all their daytime naps in hammocks with the edges pulled up and knotted so they couldn't climb out. The only hammock I have is enormous and we don't have strong enough walls to drilll into and hold us all up as we would all be fighting over who would get to be in it.

The nz dollar is very cheap too so when converting to £ it wouold be a good-ish price.
#16 of 45 Old 01-12-2006, 02:08 PM

I heard about the Amby too late for DD but bought one at a garage sale this summer when I knew we were trying to conceive... I am currently loaning it to a friend who loves it for her sweet baby girl, they co-sleep too but it's nice for when she isn't quite ready to go to bed or wants a little space in bed. We had bought a pack n'play when ava was born thinking she would use the bassinet part, haha we have only used it for guests and their kids who actually sleep in cribs

Although I don't know if the Amby is going to be practical with the twins, I was okay co-cribbing or bassinetting and of course co-sleeping with them but I wonder if them both in the hammock will work, hmm?
#17 of 45 Old 01-12-2006, 03:35 PM

Lurking in from the Sept DDC :

I've been looking at hammocks and am wanting to get either the Natures Sway one or the Happy Hangup .

We mostly co-sleep for the first year or two, but it's nice to be able to put the baby down somewhere close by for the first part of the night (especially as our Queen seems to be shrinking rapidly! ).

I used a bassinette for DD and DS but these hammocks just seem like they would be so much better; not to mention taking up less floor space!

/delurk
#18 of 45 Old 01-12-2006, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnMama
Lurking in from the Sept DDC :

I've been looking at hammocks and am wanting to get either the Natures Sway one or the Happy Hangup .

/delurk
Hey! I've never seen the HappyHangup before. If I understand it correctly you can put up a few different hooks throughout the house, and then just move the bed around to wherever you want it. I like that!
#19 of 45 Old 01-12-2006, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenore80

You know whats great? Not having to worry about decorating a nursery!
...the baby will still have his/her own room, but I'm not decorating it! I figure the baby won't care what color it is until s/he is older, and then they can pick out the colors themselves! Right now it is a terracotta color that I love, and I'm going to put up off white curtains, and that's it! But my bedroom is small, so this way I'll have somewhere for the baby's dresser and changing table (and stash o dipes! I've held off so far, but my willpower is almost gone!), and maybe the crib if I end up getting the co sleeper instead of side-carring the crib. And my nice rocking chair so I can nurse in there where it is peaceful if I feel like it! Sometimes my living room is just crazy--messy and full of people. I like the idea of a separate nursing space.

#20 of 45 Old 01-12-2006, 08:36 PM

Oh my Gosh I totally want a baby hammock!!! I will NEVER be able to convince anyone on my list of gift givers that it's safe though!!! If anyone knows anyone with one that I could buy secondhand . . .

Wishful thinking?
#21 of 45 Old 01-13-2006, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahx
If anyone knows anyone with one that I could buy secondhand . . .

Wishful thinking?
just one word.......EBAY!
#22 of 45 Old 01-13-2006, 12:29 AM

We will do a crib-as-side-car arrangement on our bed.

We may also do an Amby if this baby has the afore-mentioned sleep-while-bouncing problem that our first had.
#23 of 45 Old 01-13-2006, 01:42 AM

Ohhh, those hammocks look wonderful!! We cosleep, have since my daughter was about a week old (for the first week she was in the cosleeper...then it became a cat bed) and I'm imagining sleeping with a newborn, toddler, 2 adults and umpteen cats is going to get a little crowded. I like the idea of the hammock for naps/early evening. Definitely something to look into, thanks for the links!
#24 of 45 Old 01-13-2006, 07:17 PM

The Amby looks great & I saw it while pg with #2. I would love it but would probably still co-sleep at night.

With #1, my bro gave us a crib. We didn't use it until after 6 weeks and then not much at all. She was about 3/4 in our bed. We had a full size then.

With #2, we got a king while pg with her. We gave the crib to the bro who gave it to us, which flipped everyone out of course. DD#1 & DD#2 slept with us all the time until DD#2 was 4 months old and DD#1 was sick with the flu. We put her not-very-much-used toddler bed in our room and she slept there for 8 months.

When we moved, she didn't want to sleep in it any more so at 1 & 3, they were both back in our bed. We moved them to their own room about 3 months ago in a full-size bed on the floor and we have the monitor on. They are 2 & 4 since last August. If one of them wakes, one of us gets up to comfort them, but they are right across the hall from us so we are there in an instant.

This one will be in bed with us again. I'd do a co-sleeper, but they were both 25Lbs by the time they were 4 months old, so they didn't fit into much. Luckily, the weight stopped for both... the 2 year old is only 28Lbs right now. Either way, no cribs for us any more!
#25 of 45 Old 01-14-2006, 12:17 AM

This baby will be in the Mini Arms Reach co-sleeper (loaned to me by a friend) for quite awhile I'm, sure! We also have a crib that will eventually be set up in dd's room when we're ready for transitioning him/her and possibly for naps.
#26 of 45 Old 01-14-2006, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffinsMom
We will do a crib-as-side-car arrangement on our bed.

We may also do an Amby if this baby has the afore-mentioned sleep-while-bouncing problem that our first had.
We went through this too!!!!!!!! I am definately considering an Amby if this baby needs to bounce!

As for beds, I have loved our family bed and wouldn't dream of not keeping my baby close. Ds is 2.5 and still in our bed, sorta, he has a twin shoved beside our queen with his favourite fire fighter sheets on it. I know he'll leave when he's ready and I'll miss him. I get in all the snuggles I can now!

Jessica wool.gif  DS 7  DD 4 homeschool.gif
#27 of 45 Old 01-17-2006, 09:37 PM

You guys have GOT to check this out, I found it on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Cotton...QQcmdZViewItem

I bid on it for awhile but when it went over $60 I decided I am going to make one for my baby before she is born
#28 of 45 Old 01-18-2006, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

WOW! THat's super cool !! My FIL is pretty crafty, I bet he could rig one up for us. I'm confused though....in some of the pics, it looks like the baby is way down low in the thing, and then in other pics, the baby looks higher up. How do you think they did that?
#29 of 45 Old 01-18-2006, 09:07 AM

hmmmmmmm. I didn't notice that but you are right.

I think they are two different cradles -- you can see one has blue striping and the other is a different color.

I think once you make the dowels and rope, you could have a newborn cradle and a toddler cradle and have them be interchangable. That material can't be that expensive.

Maybe its the same cradle but they have different size mattresses (pillows) in there and it makes it drop lower....but I think they are two different ones.

I can't wait to get started on mine. I am going material shopping as soon as I can. I have wanted to make something special for this baby
#30 of 45 Old 01-18-2006, 11:28 AM

dinahx, do you have a Once Upon a Child in your area? I was shocked to see the arms reach co sleeper at *both* of the ones I've hit for maternity clothes this week--and I'm in a totally mainstream area. I can't believe very many people co sleep here, so I was pretty impressed! One was selling for $40 but it didn't have the mattress (how would you use it at that point?), and the other was selling for $80.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page