On Bedrest - Mothering Forums

#1 of 16 Old 02-18-2006, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I knew it could happen at some point but it came about 2 months earlier than I thought it would.

I had the stitch put in my cervix about 3 weeks ago and then a week later I could feel the stitch on the outside, meaning my cervix was super low and way out of place. So I went to my Dr and was told I have a prolapsed uterus. The Dr showed me how I can push it back up externally but I have to stay down until the baby is big enough to help keep it up, about 24 weeks. I'm 16 weeks now and finally got a laptop so I can keep up with the outside world! Yay! I'm allowed to take baths and use the bathroom and thats all. Everything else has to be done on my back or side.

Am I too late for the swap?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 02-19-2006, 10:54 AM

oh mama, that stinks! Take it easy! I guess now is a good time to catch up on all your movies or shows you are behind on! You are not too late for the swap, no worries!

I hope it's a peaceful time for you!
Jenn
#3 of 16 Old 02-19-2006, 11:18 AM

What a bummer. Well, at least it's for a good cause!

~Robyn mama to
James, Sean, Christopher, and Michael~

#4 of 16 Old 02-19-2006, 11:50 AM

Oh nfb you poor thing! 8 weeks of bedrest, yikes!! But it's great that despite complications baby's still okay! Yeah!
#5 of 16 Old 02-19-2006, 12:08 PM

I hope it isn't too rough for you

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#6 of 16 Old 02-19-2006, 01:02 PM

Ditto what everyone else has said Thank goodness for laptops & wireless internet! Here's hoping it's a quick 8 weeks
#7 of 16 Old 02-19-2006, 01:39 PM

Oh that's got to be soo hard! I'm sorry you have to go through this so early. Keep us posted!!
Definitely post what you're ISO in the swap thread. I'm sure you'd love anything that will help keep you busy!

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#8 of 16 Old 02-20-2006, 03:01 PM

Wow. That sounds difficult . . . 8 weeks. But at the same time, it's ONLY 8 weeks, and you'll be up and about after that.

Do you knit or crochet or like to read? Maybe we could all give you titles of our favorite books and movies?

Good luck! Hope the time goes quickly for you.

Jen, mom of R (9), T (7), C (5), and E (2) ... my stillheart.gifs

#9 of 16 Old 02-20-2006, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

I knit, crochet and read. I would love some good suggestions where I can order patterns and yarn online. I'm also out of books. I was thinking of getting some palm books from online. Any good suggestions?
#10 of 16 Old 02-21-2006, 01:37 PM

I've ordered yarn and patterns from patternworks.com, herrschners.com and marymaxim.com. Also, if you're looking for a specific pattern, do an online search for free patterns, like "free knit sweater patterns" or something like that. You can find quite a few free patterns online. Also, check out the WAHM Well here for some knitting/yarn sites of moms.

I know nothing about palm books online . . . don't know if you can get anything that's in print. However, I will tell you my favorite books:
-"Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole--one of the funniest books and so well written.
-"Cordelia Underwood" by Van Reid--another really well-written book and funny, unexpected happenings. He has a whole series, and this is the first one. I think there are 5 in all at the moment. Other titles are "Daniel Plainway," "Mrs. Roberto," "Mollie Peer," and I can't remember the last one.
-"Pillars of the Earth" by Follet--great story, with characters all intertwining, overall story about building a cathedral . . . hard to put down.

Also, in keeping with why we're all in this particular forum, if you haven't read it, get your hands on "Your Amazing Newborn" by Klaus. It tells all the things your newborn can do and learn from the first moments after birth. It's amazing! Gives you real respect and appreciation for a newborn's capabilities as well as instincts. And it has great photos, too.

#11 of 16 Old 02-21-2006, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

jenmk, I have another question for you. When I go into the store I never look at brand names and weights and stuff. I just know what kind of yarn I'm looking for and get it. Now I'm having to choose from different weights and brands. All I want is nice soft baby yarn. Can you tell me what to look for?
#12 of 16 Old 02-21-2006, 04:23 PM

Yikes. Sorry to hear about the bedrest. If you haven't read The da Vinci Code - I'd recommend it. I thought it was great. Also, I'd recommend The Time Traveler's Wife. It was kind of weird and took a while to get into, but once I was into it - I didn't want to put it down. I was totally hooked by the end and didn't want it to end!
#13 of 16 Old 02-21-2006, 06:41 PM

NFB mom!

Wahhh... I had to do two months of strict bedrest (I was able to get up to shower/use bathroom/make a sandwich) last pregnancy. It is harder than you think... I did the same, took up knitting, got Books On Tape and watched a lot of TV. I am normally a very big reader (probaby read 2-3 books a week) but I was not interested in reading. Nor did I listen to BOT. All I did (aside from knit and talk on the phone) was watch TV. Which was incredibly odd because I normally HATE TV. We don't even have one, but I went down to my mom's in NYC for the bedrest (my house was too active!) and she's got cable.

It's scary, I know, too. You feel at times that you're fighting for the life of your child. My issue was preterm labor around week 20 on. Lots of contrax in the cervix and opening. Gradually, as I went on bedrest, the contrax did finally stop. In other words, it was the right thing to do.

All best wishes, keep in touch with us!

Liz

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#14 of 16 Old 02-21-2006, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Take it easy momma! I was on bed rest the last weeks of my pg with dd. I read whatever books anyone would bring me which led to some interesting books. One that I chose was Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. It was a fun read. At least you have a definite time period and can check off the days on the calendar.

Take care of yourself and let others help you too!
Jen
#15 of 16 Old 02-22-2006, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfbmom
jenmk, I have another question for you. When I go into the store I never look at brand names and weights and stuff. I just know what kind of yarn I'm looking for and get it. Now I'm having to choose from different weights and brands. All I want is nice soft baby yarn. Can you tell me what to look for?
If you're using a pattern, it should tell you what weight yarn you need for the gauge. Then you can find some baby yarn that fits that category. Also, the MaryMaxim site has a category of baby yarns on their scroll menu on the left side of the page, it's down the list a bit. And you can do a search for "baby yarn" at Herrschners that will give you many different choices of baby yarns in different weights.

If you're not working with a pattern, I'd suggest looking at your yarn stash or leftovers to find the weight of yarn you want to use. Then look in those categories online for your choices.

It's hard to not be able to go to the store and touch all the yarns yourself! You may be able to call the online stores and get someone's help in choosing a nice soft yarn . . . I don't know if MaryMaxim and Herrschners are set up to do that, they may be, but I think Patternworks is. They're really helpful and nice there.

Does that answer your question? Let me know if I can help more.

#16 of 16 Old 02-23-2006, 05:11 PM

nfbmom-
I love love LOVE books by Phillippa Gregory. It's all historical fiction. The Other Boelyn Girl is my favorite, but they are all wonderful. Maybe you could study up on baby sign language while you are resting too. I really want to do that but doubt I'll ever have the time. Or learn a foriegn language. Actually, bedrest sounds like fun right now... no school... no work.... making time for the little things you want to do. It almost sounds like a mini-vaca. Maybe I should have a bedrest! J/k.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page