swollen ankles already? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-28-2006, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since about 24 weeks, my ankles have been getting a bit swollen toward the end of the day. I know this is normal in pregnancy, but I didn't think it would happen this early (ACK!). Anyone else having this already?

Haven't checked my blood pressure (can't find my steth), but am seeing my midwives on Tuesday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2006, 03:32 PM

I've had a little swelling in my feet, usually toward the end of the day. I went ahead and upped my protein and started eating more asparagus (which is a natural diuretic.)And, I'm 25w along.

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:50 PM

My legs and ankles get a little puffy sometimes. The other day I was sitting for a while and my feet turned blue. What can ya do?
Old 04-29-2006, 10:11 AM

Certainly check it out. I know it's not uncommon in late pregnancy, but I've not heard of it so early.
Honestly, I've never had swollen ankles or swollen anything even when I was overdue. So I probably shouldn't be doling out any advice.
I hope everything's alright!

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 04-30-2006, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all! I'll let you know after my appt on Tues what my BP's like & if I have an protien in my urine. Man, I really hope I'm not headed down that track. All the protien powder in my smoothies!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf
I've never had swollen ankles or swollen anything even when I was overdue.
Lucky you, Krista!!!

Jen
Old 05-01-2006, 03:25 PM

I have been getting very mild swelling towards the end of the day-and usually my left is worse than my right. ??? If I put my feet up for a half hour or so, that usually does the trick.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Hey radio, my L is worse than my R too. I wonder what's up w/ that?

So the report from my prenatal is that my BP is still nice & low, no protien in my urine. My midwives are unconcerned since I'm totally back to normal in the morning when I wake up. They reminded me that your blood volume increases around 5 months & peaks @ 28 weeks, so swelling isn't unusual now.

They've recommened some herbs I can make in to a tea as well as asparagus, cucumber, watermelon & lemon in my water. I'm going to start doing water aerobics too... that should help w/ the circulation w/o putting pressure on my lower extremities like walking would.

So the news isn't bad, but I have to accept that there may be another 14 weeks of this
Old 05-04-2006, 07:57 PM

You know, my ankles weren't swelling until you asked this. Since you posted this thread *poof* every afternoon, there they go. :

I'm going to blame it all on you, Jen!
Old 05-04-2006, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC in KS
You know, my ankles weren't swelling until you asked this. Since you posted this thread *poof* every afternoon, there they go. :

I'm going to blame it all on you, Jen!
Hehehe, DOH!
Old 05-15-2006, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to update that things have been better over the past two weeks. I've discovered that the swelling seems to be made much worse by sitting down than standing up- physical activity makes it better. I was afraid that being on my feet would make it worse, but the positive effects of the physical activity are much greater than any negative effects of being on my feet.

I've just joined the Y & am planning on starting water aerobics &/or water walking.

My midwives have also recommended making tea w/ dandelion leaves (must get some from the Co-op) & also the Vitamin B-6 (that I have plenty leftover from morning sickness) are natural diurectics.

Hope that helps any of you who might experience this joy of pregnancy
Old 05-15-2006, 09:02 PM

I get swelling in my ankles anytime I stand/walk for more than 5 hrs a day. I was up to +2 edema on both sides when working at the hospital, even as early as 22 weeks. Now in week 26, still gaining weight, but on my first day as a SAH(almost)M, my swelling is gone, even with all the errands I ran today. My body must be saying something positive about my not working 60+ hours a week, don't you know
Old 05-17-2006, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Erin, that's great that the "lifestyle change" has helped so much! I just saw my midwives yesterday & we talking about how it's good to "know your edema" & know what helps & what doesn't for you.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:36 PM

Jen, I have tons of dandelions if you want to save some money I can just mail you all my weeds.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:27 PM

I have found that my swelling/edema has been getting worse in the last couple of weeks. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm quite active (out running around) or not (in the office most of the day). I, too, have some leftover B6 from my morning sickness. Has anyone tried this? Does it work? Do you take it in the morning or with the onset of your edema?

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2006, 09:41 AM

I had no idea dandelion root and B6 were good for edema, but since I take both, and have never had any swelling in any of my pregnancies, I guess I'd believe it! Worth a try then!

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 05-18-2006, 11:01 AM

Ugh. I woke up this morning and couldn't see my ankle bones. I'll be re-reading this thread for tips & suggestions today.

Glad you all were a couple of steps ahead of me, to have this all prepared.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiogirlgr
I, too, have some leftover B6 from my morning sickness. Has anyone tried this? Does it work? Do you take it in the morning or with the onset of your edema?
I tried it at the same time as I increased my activity level, so I don't know which had the greatest effect. At any rate, my midwife friend suggests 1 tab morning and evening, and increase to 2 (morning & evening) if needed. It's a water soluble vitamin (like Vitamin C).

As for the dandelion... anyone know if there's a difference between dandelion leaves & dandelion root? I haven't tried either yet.

Good luck all!

User Tag List