Too many braxton hicks - waaaay too many! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-04-2006, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Eeeeee, it's been enough to freak me out the last 2 days... yesterday I started getting a lot (but I get a lot anyways - sometimes 4 in an hour, but I know that's pretty normal for me)... so by 6:00 I started getting 7 in twenty minutes!

I drank 32 oz. fast and laid down on my left side. They spaced to every 3 min. but they were lasting a minute (or maybe a bit less) and at 2 hours of that happening I called my back-up midwife (we're doing a UC/UP but she is doing a few things for me). She suggested Magnesium Oxide right away and then today and for a few more days.

Well they stopped in the middle of the night enough for me to sleep and this morning they were very rare but again, this afternoon they're long and often (though not as bad). Bleh!

I have what I like to call a 'sensitive' uterus but it's been called irritable for this reason - man... I don't think I'll have this baby early but it's worrysome to have so many so often for so long. Seems like each baby I get more. I also had an AWFUL dream that my twin sister (due 2 days before me) had preterm-labor and then all of a sudden at 24w her water broke - I woke up crying it was SO realistic. Not making me feel a lot better.

Hoping the rest of the day is more calm in the baby-tummy dept. but it feels like we may have a repeat. Send me calm uterus vibes if you can.
~Julie

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#2 of 12 Old 05-04-2006, 06:16 PM

Oh man, now I feel like a real wuss, complaining to my OB about all the BH I've been having. She asked if they were timable - I said no - she said, okay see you next month.

Would a call to your sister make you feel better? Maybe SHE'S the one with the super-calm uterus, and you're just getting both doses!
#3 of 12 Old 05-04-2006, 06:25 PM

Wow, definitely take it easy BirthFree! Keep drinking and resting when you can.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#4 of 12 Old 05-04-2006, 07:00 PM

Sending calm-uterus vibes your way, Julie
#5 of 12 Old 05-04-2006, 10:22 PM

I had this a lot with my 3rd. Now I am at week 25 with my 4th and I don't seem to have near as much. Every pregnany is different. My 3rd arrived on his due date. I do UP/UC too!
Sounds like you are doing the right things... drinking water, rest, they say a glass of wine is really good to make those contrax rest.
Remind your self that your uterus is just warming up early for the labor...many, many weeks from now.
Tricia

momma to 7
:
#6 of 12 Old 05-05-2006, 12:13 AM

Weirdly enough I had a TON of BH from around 15-21 weeks. Now that it is considered more "normal" to have them, they have slowed down and are less strong. I still have quite a few a day, but not like every hour to 30 minutes like before.
Take it easy, and how awesome that your twin sister and you are having babies at the same time!
#7 of 12 Old 05-05-2006, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

She does have the calm uterus so maybe I'm getting both doses...
I've had to up my dose of Magnesium but the only crummy part about that is that it causes very loose stools (yay?). They are not as bad as last night but still really often. The only concern is that they'll cause my cervix to shorten and start dilating... I think I'm going to check tonight - I don't mind the body/birth practice really but I don't want this baby early at all.

Tricia, were yours as often? I'm thinking when they are every 3 min. that's just too many but I'm okay with them at every 10 min. (it's still a lot, but not overly much).

Ah, it's not easy to walk the line between faith and trust and asking for help when I worry. I know in my head there's too many and they're too often and they're pretty strong but I've never had pre-term labor so I don't know when to worry for real.

Mmmm... thanks for letting me think outloud.

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#8 of 12 Old 05-05-2006, 01:45 AM

BirthFree - I've been having the same problems as you. I too have an "irritable" uterus. That was discovered with preg #1. It didn't get any better with subsequent ones, and now on #4, seems to be worse.

Last week I had 3 days of very worrisome BH. Each day they would start in the late afternoon and last the rest of the day. Nothing I did helped. They were strong (uncomfortable, not painful), but that's how they always feel. I just hadn't ever gotten them so close together. Instead of every 10-15 minutes at the most, they were coming at least every 5 minutes. I decided I should take it easy for a few days (I had been extremely busy with work and school and other crap) and by day 4 things started calming down. It's happened a couple days since then, and it seems to be after I've been on my feet a lot during the day. I decided to quit work (I was working as a nursing assistant) and as of Tues I'm done with school, so I'm expecting a big improvement. I think it was my body's way of telling me to chill out.

Anyway, that was my long winded way of telling you that I know exactly what you're dealing with. It's kinda scary. I'm afraid that trusting my body will cross the line into denial and I won't recognize if it *has* turned into preterm labor. That kinda freaks me out.

I'm betting we'll both carry to term just fine. I just hope our uteruses aren't completely pooped out by the time labor really starts!
#9 of 12 Old 05-05-2006, 07:35 AM

mama! That would make me worry too! Try to stay hydrated and relaxed if you can. Some woman say they have the opposite effect but I find that drinking red raspberry leaf tea calms down my BH. It has a uterine toner but also works as a relaxant. I'm also having less round ligament pain. In general it just seems to make the area less 'irritable'.
#10 of 12 Old 05-05-2006, 10:27 AM

I'd had a bad weekend too. I'm used to the irritable uterus kind and I kept thinking all weekend that it was just irritable uterus. But something kept nagging at me to call the midwife. I finally did on Monday and she said it actually sounded like early labor! They were different because they would be 6-10 min apart for 2-3 hours and then they would settle down to 20-30 min apart for 2 hours then would go back to the 6-10 min apart for another couple of hours. Back and forth for three days straight. The most worrisome part is that, unlike irritable uterus, it didn't seem to have anything to do with what I did. I tried a bath, drinking a ton of water, herbs, everything I could think of to get them to stop but the pattern stayed the same. When I called the mw, she suggested some homeopathics and that is what finally broke the pattern. Good thing because even she was ready to send me to the hospital to get monitered!

The two things she wanted to know were: how long they were lasting and how much of my uterus got hard. It seems that with iu your uterus doesn't get hard all over with every ctx. It surprised me because I was expecting her to say the 45 sec ones were no big deal but she said that they were just as worrisome as the longer ones and anything over about 1 1/2 min were most likely iu. That was the other reason she was worried. These ctx were hard all over, all of them, and they were lasting 45-1min 15 sec.

Anyway, I was just really grateful that the pattern was broken and I didn't have to go to L&D! Things have been just fine since them, too. Lots of normal iu but nothing like I experienced over the weekend.

Stay put vibes to all baby's on this board! It's not time yet!!!!
#11 of 12 Old 05-05-2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfbmom
When I called the mw, she suggested some homeopathics and that is what finally broke the pattern.
What was it that you took? I might want to look into it too. Like you, nothing I did changed the frequency of the contractions. Except going to sleep for the night. I never woke up with them. I'd be nice if I had another way to get them to stop if it happens again!
#12 of 12 Old 05-05-2006, 01:33 PM

Calcium is good too. Cranberry juice will help prevent a UTI which can lead to preterm labor. Of course keeping a good vaginal flora is important too.

I know you're worried, and that's ok to an extent, (oh I hate invalidating feelings), but don't feel that way .

~laura
and planning to eat it again

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page