Group B Strep? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-09-2006, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey gang. I am looking for more opinions on the whole Group B Strep thing. I simply caNNOT decide if I want to get tested for it or not. My homebirth midwife has left it up to me. Certain tests I am declining and others I am getting for baby after she is born but this one is just a pain in my neck. Since I am delivering at home IV antibiotics aren't an option for me. So if I get the test and I test positive I can either choose to do nothing or choose to do this herbal rinse on my vaginal area every 4 hours during labor (which sounds like a MAJOR pain in the neck). But my midwife told me if I test negative it could just mean that I don't have the bacteria in my vagina THAT DAY and there is nothing to say it won't be there the day of the delivery and vice versa if I DO have it on the test. SO it seems COMPLETELY like an irrelevant test although God forbid you don't do it and don't get any intervention and you are the one of 20% who has the bacteria and your kid is the one in a hundred of that percent who contracts it and then winds up being the 1 in a 100 of THAT group who has a serious case of it and dies. I am paranoid about it but even if I test negative I will probably STILL feel paranoid!
What are you ladies doing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2006, 06:26 PM

I was negative with DS#1 which supposibly doesnt mean anything when pregnant with #2 however something you may or may not try is: Some swear by inserting a garlic clove peeled into the vagina 2 weeks before the test ( at night wrapped in a piece of gauze) I know to some it may sound nutty but supposibly it works to kill of the groupBstrep. ????

Michele
Old 05-09-2006, 07:01 PM

I just talked to my midwife about it last night. I was feeling the same way, like it's an important problem to be concerned about, but I might get it after I take the test, and IV antibiotics aren't the most effective on it anyway, plus I hate antibiotics in general, and yet just hoping it's not there could cause problems in the event of a hospital transfer, etc., etc. My midwife says we could still do a homebirth with oral antibiotics, and would really have to if I took the test and tested positive. Her preference and mine, though, is a garlic-suppository treatment in advance of the test, which is sure to kick the GBS if it's there. I said I'd like to do that anyway and not take the test, because if that works to prevent it, rock on. She said that, at least around here, if she documents that I do the garlic thing, it stands up at the hospital so they don't go nuts on the off chance we end up there.

It should be interesting, sticking garlic in my vagina. She gave me a handout about it, so I don't have a website to offer or anything, but if you can't find anything on it I can summarize the treatment here once I've read it.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:03 PM

I took it and was positive, and I'm not thrilled. My OB is going to test me again at 32 weeks in the hopes that I'll be negative, and even if I'm positive at that point there are some risk factors--if I am still positive *plus* my water has been broken for over 18 hours or I'm way overdue or a couple of other risk factors, I'll have the antibiotics (I agree with him there and am okay with it--and it's a 15 minute IV push, then I can unhook the IV and just leave in the hep lock). If I'm positive but no other risk factors, he said the baby's chances of getting it are almost nil so he's not worried about it and doesn't think I should be either.

Maybe if you check into the other risk factors? Then if you end up having some of them, you can do the herbal thing (which sounds like a pain but much better than an IV!) and if you don't have any you can not worry about it.

What's the herbal rinse stuff, do you know? If I end up positive, maybe I can talk my Ob into letting me use that instead of the IV...he's surprisingly cool about that stuff, and he wants me to stay home until the last minute so I'd be able to do it without a nurse being all weird about it.

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!
Old 05-09-2006, 09:55 PM

I read that even compared to the herbal rinse the garlic suppository should do the trick however it is recommended to do it every night for 2weeks before the test.

Peeled garlic clove and use a small piece of gauze to wrap it in, twist the end so it makes a tail and insert. In the morning remove.

Michele
Old 05-09-2006, 09:58 PM

here is some great info to consider and some alternative ways to deal with GBS: http://www.gentlebirth.org/cgi-bin/q...&maxresults=40

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

Old 05-10-2006, 09:19 AM

I don't know if I'll bother this time. My midwife was out of the testing supplies when I was due to have the test with my first baby, and I didn't feel like going to my OB/GYN to get the test. With my second, she had the stuff to do the test, and was going to do it at the 38 week home visit, but I gave birth 5 days before that, so obviously we never got around to it. So I really don't know if I care this time. The chances are so slim that anything would happen even if I did test positive, and I certainly wouldn't do IV antibiotics, though I'd consider less invasive treatments like the garlic or oral antibiotics. I'm sure I'll make the decision as the final weeks roll around...if I can still roll myself to the midwife's house, LOL.

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 05-10-2006, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Good thoughts. Thanks gals. Aryll, the problem with that garlic two weeks before the test is it doesn't have any impact on whether or not you will have the bacteria the day you give birth. Even if you don't have it the day of the test it is a normal bacteria that can grow there at any time.
That is why I do kind of like the idea of doing that two weeks before due date...unless you go earlier than that.
Rebecca, I will get back to you with the name of the rinse- it is just one ingredient mixed with water.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:50 PM

I'll do the test this time, just like last time. But, I have a personal experience of a friend whose baby was really sick after contracting GBS. I know there is a really slim chance, but it doesn't bother me to go ahead and do it.

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:36 AM

Rebeccalizzie: Seems to me you were tested too early. GBS comes and goes, and usually they test much closer to due date, like 36 weeks, because of that. So you having it now really has no bearing on whether you'll have it 10-12 weeks from now. You said your OB is going to test at 32 weeks . . . I'd ask to have them wait to test again closer to 36 weeks so it's at least a better indication of whether you might have it while delivering.

I tested negative with #1, and positive with #2. And I did the IV antibiotics with #2 (but I'm a hospital-birthing mama due to slight high risk factors). GBS can cause serious problems for newborn, even death, so I didn't want to take a chance, and the antibiotics seriously lower the risk of baby getting it.

I'm not sure if oral antibiotics would work, from what I've read. Because the antibiotics have to be given during labor, and you get two courses of the IV antibiotics . . . which of course gets into the system a lot quicker than any pills you take. I'd ask your mw/doc how effective the oral antibiotics are . . .

Jen, mom of R (9), T (7), C (5), and E (2) ... my stillheart.gifs

Old 05-11-2006, 08:52 PM

I was positive with ds#1 and have tested negative for #2 (due any day). I started taking probiotics (Jarrow) when I was around 26 weeks pregnant. I had already made the decision not to do the antibiotics this time around, and who knows whether the probiotics made a difference in my test results, but at least that's a battle I won't have to fight when I go into labor.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:05 PM

I refused the test with my first and would with this one but I know my doc wants me to get it done since I am having a homebirth. I don't want it done, because if I am positive, I am sure he'll try and get me to have a hospital birth instead...

I'm going to check out the links provided by LoveChild421 and see if that helps with my decision!

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
Old 05-12-2006, 04:12 PM

Rebeccalizzie, all of the evidence I've read recommends testing at 36 weeks. I wonder why your doc tests earlier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoGranola
I refused the test with my first and would with this one but I know my doc wants me to get it done since I am having a homebirth. I don't want it done, because if I am positive, I am sure he'll try and get me to have a hospital birth instead...

I'm going to check out the links provided by LoveChild421 and see if that helps with my decision!
Yeah, I feel the same way. Personally, I'd rather not take the test. Since GBS is only a risk to the babe once the membranes have ruptures & at home we won't be artificially rupturing my membranes, I don't see it being a huge issue for me. BUT if we transfer to hospital, I know it would make things easier if I'm negative. By the same token, if I'm positive that might fuel the fire in my back-up OB against homebirth. What to do, what to do....
Old 05-13-2006, 05:45 PM

I won't be testing this time because I think it's useless unless you're tested right before labor starts. I might try one of the preventative options (like garlic) toward the end of pg just to make sure all is well, though. There's a thread in birth and beyond about using a hydrogen peroxide wash, it supposedly doesn't mess with the beneficial flora, so sounds good to me. Kinda OT but I have used garlic to treat yeast infections, and it's not even necessary to put gauze around it, unless you really want to. It's not going anywhere! It really works wonders for yeast, so I could imagine it might be pretty useful on GBS too.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:42 PM

My birthing teacher told us to have sex the night before the exam. Apparently semen helps to get good results.

User Tag List