Is baby head up, head down or flipping all over the place? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 05-11-2006, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our babe seems to still be flipping around, but will spend a day or two head up (and dancing on my cervix ) and then a day or so with head down and toes tickling my ribs.

I'm 26w and the last week, the baby has been sooooooo active!

How is your wiggler?
#2 of 21 Old 05-11-2006, 06:32 PM

Mine's a flipper too! I am 24 weeks and I feel those little feet kicking me everywhere! The baby has always been a mover but the last couple of days it is very obvious (every movement make my stomach move and bulge out for everyone to see! ).

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#3 of 21 Old 05-11-2006, 06:33 PM

All over the place right now!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#4 of 21 Old 05-11-2006, 07:05 PM

All over here too.
#5 of 21 Old 05-11-2006, 07:25 PM

Mine is always head down. I'm sure he has to do some flipping around here and there, but at our 2 u/s he was in the same position, and the movement (feet high, hands low) feels the same now.

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#6 of 21 Old 05-12-2006, 03:32 AM

This baby is so mellow compared to my last. She has been content laying sideways this whole pregnancy. Her head is on the right and her feet are on the left. I feel her move and kick a little bit, but she isn't flipping around or anything like that. I do wish that she would keep her foot out of my ribs though.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#7 of 21 Old 05-12-2006, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaya
I do wish that she would keep her foot out of my ribs though.
UGH! Yes, I wish this baby would leave my right ribs alone!! Even with a 9lb. 5oz. baby last time, I never experienced any rib pain. But this baby just loves to be sideways and push into my ribs and it's so uncomfortable.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#8 of 21 Old 05-12-2006, 11:41 AM

One minute he is kicking my ribs, the next he is kicking my lower abdomen. He only stays still for about 2 hours at a time.
#9 of 21 Old 05-12-2006, 12:07 PM

It's all or nothing for this kiddo-either completely calm and silent (like right now) or going absolutely nuts. I woke up around 5am for my early morning pee, and he was having a party in there. I am unable to tell where head/toes/arms are at this point, but feel all kinds of action quite frequently. It's fun!
#10 of 21 Old 05-12-2006, 01:02 PM

I can't tell head from tail, but either this kid is flipping all over or he/she is doing jumping jacks in there. I get thumped at every point of the compass.
#11 of 21 Old 05-12-2006, 01:27 PM

Very active baby here too. Flips all the time.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#12 of 21 Old 05-12-2006, 03:22 PM

I can't really tell anything more specific than a "big" movement vs. a "little" movement. At my last midwives appt (26 weeks), they were pretty sure babe was head or butt down (as opposed to transverse) & that jives w/ what I'm feeling (most movements are either pretty high or pretty low), but couldn't make out the difference b/w head & butt yet. Does that makes sense?
#13 of 21 Old 05-12-2006, 04:36 PM

My thought, which my midwife verified on Monday is that the baby's head is to the right of my belly button and the feet are to the left of my pubic bone...so she is basically laying diagonal- probably trying to get the most out of the limited space in there. But she keeps jabbing her head out of my stomach like she is coming up for air or to take a look around...and that HURTS (she is actually laying with her back against my stomach facing down so a lot of her kicking now is kicking against my intestines and stuff instead of out)! Occasionally she pushes her butt up too and then I give her a little pat on the tushie! :-)
#14 of 21 Old 05-12-2006, 05:27 PM

I am sure that my baby will be a gymnast based on all of the flipping that she does!!!!

How can you all tell how the baby is positioned?
#15 of 21 Old 05-12-2006, 05:31 PM

You can feel the baby. If you aren't sure what is what, you can ask your midwife to show you when she palpates your uterus. Plus, where you are feeling the most movement is a good indicator of where the baby is/

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#16 of 21 Old 05-12-2006, 05:56 PM

Put us down for two movers and shakers. I was so relieved to see baby "A" flip from breech to head down, and now he just does summersaults constantly as does baby B just not as much. I am glad they still have room to get around and I only notice from the change in kicks, not the feeling that I have an alien in there trying to move like I thought I might at this point.
#17 of 21 Old 05-12-2006, 11:10 PM

You might be able to tell which direction baby is heading based on where you hear the heartbeat combined with where you feel movement. At this point, if baby is headdown, you should hear the heartbeat below the belly button. If the head is up, you'll hear the heartbeat above the belly button. My little guy was head down for both of our ultrasounds, but was head up at my mw appt. yesterday. I think he may have turned because my groin pain is back. I have to say, I'm more comfortable when he's head up, but I really want him to settle in head down.
#18 of 21 Old 05-13-2006, 07:36 PM

I've got a little flip-flopper! Every which way and kicks everywhere! It's funny, at night in bed, or sometimes when I wake up in the morning, I look down at my belly and it's totally lopsided, and I can feel the little butt or head on one side. It's so cute, great bonding with a lumpy belly!
#19 of 21 Old 05-13-2006, 11:33 PM

Let's see, by ultrasound
18 wks transverse
20 wks head down
24 wks breech
Now, at 27 wks I'd say he's definitely head down again because of the groin pain I'm having. He must have his head shoved in my pelvic bone. Hiccups are very low and little feet are always over on the high left side. Well, they do move around some but that's where he's been wedged for the last week-or-so.

Laura
Mom to three
#20 of 21 Old 05-14-2006, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickin
I am sure that my baby will be a gymnast based on all of the flipping that she does!!!!

How can you all tell how the baby is positioned?
It just takes a bit of feeling around. At 27 weeks, babys legs are pretty long, so there's not a lot of mistaking those when they really stretch out. Sometimes when kicks are coming straight up, I can feel the curve of a rump on one side. When the tushie and feet are down, I can feel as the babe stretches and bumps into my cervix or rear.
#21 of 21 Old 05-14-2006, 12:50 PM

Since yesterday Shrimp has definitely been head down. I now feel the familiar pressure down low, with two shoulders pressing down into my pelvis, and this morning hiccups were really low and centered too. And I'm getting kicked in the same old spot as before and it's starting to get sore already!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page