baby shows on tv - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-13-2006, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I always say I won't start watching them, and some time a few months from birth I always watch them anyway and sit there ranting at the tv for 1/2 an hour.
The Discovery Channel is packed with baby shows right now because of Mother's Day, so it's easier than ever to get sucked in. Anybody else find themselves watching these shows against their better judgment?

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#2 of 14 Old 05-13-2006, 06:12 PM

I've been watching them all the time Well birth day and baby baby (twin show) A lot of times I end up with a mental "not to-do" list

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#3 of 14 Old 05-14-2006, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I usually only watch A Baby Story on TLC. Lately it's been awesome because they are showing lots of homebirths! Normally I do get a little perturbed by those kinds of shows, but DD and I have really enjoyed watching all the homebirths. I have been talking to her about what the mama is doing, and why she is making noises, and what the midwife is doing, etc etc. It's so much fun!
#4 of 14 Old 05-14-2006, 12:49 AM

I'm not expecting in August, but when I was pg with dd, I used to ALWAYS watch A Baby Story (TLC), Birth Day (Discovery Health), and Adoption Stories (Discovery Health.) Now I try to catch an episode of A Baby Story and Bringing Home Baby. I usually get really ticked off while watching Bringing Home Baby because there's usually some stupid comments regarding bfing on it (for example, on a recent epi, one mom said, "He wouldn't take the breast, he'll only take the bottle, it's like he was born to take a bottle.") Comments like those raise my bp a bit, I'm sure
#5 of 14 Old 05-14-2006, 04:54 PM

With my 1st I watched all the time. I really felt like I knew what was going to happen. I ended up having a highly medicalized birth and thought it was just normal. Then I ended up over the last few years learning more and more about how unnatural my birth was. So this time I'm avoiding them.
#6 of 14 Old 05-17-2006, 06:54 PM

I've watched quite a few of 'birth day' and 'runway moms' on TLC. With 'birth days' I was overwhelmed by the number of induced births and C-Sections which actually helped me decide to ahve a natural birth.
#7 of 14 Old 05-17-2006, 09:56 PM

'Bringing Home Baby' cracks me up. There was one episode I saw some time ago (I've only seen a few) where this young single mom brought home her little daughter. I was simply amazed as the apartment-TINY apartment-was completely FULL of visitors for the first 46-72 hours that this child was home. This young mother was sitting there, kind of dazed, and all of this activity was going on around her. She actually went into another room to feed the baby, and Grandma came in right after. She had no quiet moments with this baby!!! I just remember everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) telling her over and over to just 'put that baby down or she'll never sleep on her own'. Please! Good luck getting me to let go of my newborn for more than a few moments those first few days-and keep the neighbors, National Guard, and the whole fam damily out of my house while you're at it!
#8 of 14 Old 05-18-2006, 12:23 PM

I watch them too. They definitely aren't what I hope ds will take away from birth when he's older. But, at this point, I like watching with him so that he can get an idea of what happens. Right now, because of the blood on baby after birth, he thinks the baby is hurt. So, still working on explaining that in terms that he understands. But, he is starting to understand that one of those is in mama's belly and will be coming to live at our house!

Personally, the shows drives me crazy. Well, except one, on Discovery Healthy - it's a midwife show only and shows TONS of waterbirths. I it!

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#9 of 14 Old 05-18-2006, 02:09 PM

I wish we got Discovery Health for the midwife show. I can't stand the ones on TLC & stay away cause I think they raise my blood pressure
#10 of 14 Old 05-18-2006, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peilover010202

Personally, the shows drives me crazy. Well, except one, on Discovery Healthy - it's a midwife show only and shows TONS of waterbirths. I it!
What is the title of that one?
#11 of 14 Old 05-18-2006, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Area Babe
Oh gosh, I can't remember. But, it's always on in the AM when I'm eating breakfast, so I'll check!

#12 of 14 Old 05-18-2006, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Area Babe
House of Babies!
#13 of 14 Old 05-18-2006, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Snarky
House of Babies!
Thanks! Once our 'freevo' home made Tivo gets fixed (on the DH's 'to do list') I'll check it out.
#14 of 14 Old 05-19-2006, 12:22 PM

Yep, just coming to post that House of Babies. It's on tomorrow morning.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page