Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone tried it?Thinking about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 05-14-2006, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I did HypnoBirthing with my second child (Bradley with the first), and was so sold on it after my experience that I certified as a HypnoBirthing practitioner! I had learned about HypnoBirthing in my work as a labor support doula, and had supported some HypnoBirthing moms and seen that something different was definitely going on here, but it took my own wonderful second birth for me to really "get it." Now, with #3 coming in August, there is no question -- I've been doing HypnoBirthing practice and will be attending a refresher course to get all the relaxation work -- even instructors need a helping hand sometimes! It's funny -- I know a lot of second time and beyond moms who come to HypnoBirthing after having used another childbirth preparation method with the first -- but I have yet to hear of a mom NOT using HypnoBirthing for subsequent children! I'm not actively teaching right now and probably won't be until this bean is out and a little bigger, but I'm still a huge HB cheerleader.

lfleur
#3 of 12 Old 05-14-2006, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I will be doing hypnobirthing with this baby We found an instructor who does private sessions, so I think I'll really be able to get alot out of it. I can't wait!!!!!!

Happy Mama's Day!
#4 of 12 Old 05-14-2006, 04:47 PM

I'm going to try hypnobabies which is similar. I'm just waiting for it to come in the mail.
#5 of 12 Old 05-14-2006, 08:33 PM

Would it make childbirth hurt less? I have been having substantial anxiety about the pain.....maybe it would help?
#6 of 12 Old 05-15-2006, 01:59 AM

I could really use this, especially since I am an emetaphobic. It would help me chill about he possibility of puking during labor. However, I know that I am just too darn unmotivated and lazy to ever practice and prepare for a hypnobirth. Plus I couldn't afford the classes, books, or an instructor anyways. It does sound wonderful though, and I've heard that it really works well.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#7 of 12 Old 05-15-2006, 12:49 PM

Tried it with DD. Took six weeks of private lessons. Found I learned a lot, and I still use the techniques to cope with other pain (headaches and such).

However, it didn't work well for me in childbirth. Hypnobirth teaches you to get super-comfy in one position for total relaxation in trance. Which meant I spent most of my labor reclining in bed. DH couldn't pry me out of there, because it meant I'd have to leave trance. You can guess how that affected my labor.

Also, I had difficulty reaching a deep enough trance in between contractions, and then each contrax brought me back up again. Just didn't have enough time. I thought I'd done a lot of practice, but maybe more would have helped? Then too, I didn't practice much with DH guiding, that might have helped.

I've heard Hypnobabies specifically teaches the ability to maintain trance while mobile (up and moving, changing positions and such). I think it sounds like that would have addressed my major challenge, but I just haven't pursued it this pregnancy.

HTH
KC
#8 of 12 Old 05-15-2006, 03:40 PM

To be honest, I've talked with a lot of Doula's and Midwives and most have felt that, while it works for some women, there have been a lot that it just doesn't work for. These women that I've talked to say there are a lot of negatives with it. I have heard though, that hypnobabies is better than hypnobirthing.

I want to reiterate that it DOES work great for some, before I get jumped on. It may depend on the personality or who taught it. I don't know. I'm not saying that you shouldn't try it. I'm just telling you that the general consenses between midwives and doula's is that more often than not, it doesn't work.

They all say it's better to learn several methods and then go with whatever works during labor.
#9 of 12 Old 05-15-2006, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfbmom
They all say it's better to learn several methods and then go with whatever works during labor.
Definitely! That's what I kept saying during my last pregnancy - I wanted lots of tools in my tool box.

So my birth bag was huge. Hot packs, cold packs, homeopathy, herbal, hypno, birth ball, home linens (for the smell!), music, you name it, I had it.

Unfortunately, most of it stayed right in the bag. DH couldn't get me to try most of it. As usual, my response to pain was to go dormant. I've hired a doula this time in hopes she'll be able to prod me into a little more positive coping activity.
#10 of 12 Old 05-15-2006, 04:35 PM

HypnoBirthing is still a relatively new kid on the block, and there are a lot of misconceptions out there about what it is. Much of *how* you learn HypnoBirthing will depend on your individual instructor, so I really recommend that you ask lots of questions of any instructor you're considering hiring. I'm sorry to hear that there are instructors out there who are letting families walk away with the impression that HypnoBirthing necessitates laboring physically still in one position. That is not a tenet of the program at all: on the contrary, HypnoBirthing advocates and emphasizes active birth.

The cornerstone of HypnoBirthing is relaxation. HypnoBirthing uses self-hypnosis to help the birthing mama learn to achieve deep emotional and physical relaxation. The ability to achieve this relaxation is attained and improved through daily practice -- it is a mental conditioning program. Any birth attendant will tell you that moms who are able to relax have smoother labors and births. Every childbirth preparation method out there incorporates relaxation in some form because of this fact.

What does it mean to say HypnoBirthing "didn't work" in a given labor/birth? What would it mean to say Lamaze didn't work, or Bradley didn't work, or Hypnobabies didn't work? What I mean to say is that prepared moms as a group tend to have better and *more satisfactory* birth experiences than moms who have had no preparation. Who determines if a method doesn't work? What has to happen to determine that a method "worked" in a given labor and birth? In HypnoBirthing we go on simple research -- we know that moms who incorporate daily relaxation practice into their prenatal routine have happier, more relaxed, easier to soothe babies. We know that relaxed moms with relaxed partners and relaxed care providers are better able to listen to their bodies and do what they need to do to birth their babies more gently and comfortably than tense moms with tense partners and tense care providers. Relaxation makes birth easier, whatever means you find for relaxation. Relaxation works.

For anyone who is interested in learning more about what HypnoBirthing is about but isn't ready to invest in the class, you can find the HypnoBirthing book at Amazon, Borders, and most major bookstores online or IRL. Many local libraries have it as well. Or heck, I'll send you a copy of the old edition -- PM me. The book itself does not include the Rainbow Relaxation and the Birthing Affirmations that are part of the daily relaxation practice, and of course it does not include an instructor to teach you the course. But if you want to do self-study with HypnoBirthing, you can, and many moms have had good experiences with this. You can order the book, along with Rainbow Relaxation and the Birthing Affirmations, directly from the HypnoBirthing Institute. If you want a class and can't manage the finances, I encourage you to talk with your local instructor(s) -- many will be happy to think creatively with you about how to manage it. And that goes for other childbirth preparation methods you might be considering as well -- most of us in the birth community want, first and foremost, for committed and motivated families to be able to get what they need to birth the way they want to birth. But, consider this -- with most insurance plans, the price of a childbirth preparation class series is a mere fraction of what you would pay out of pocket for epidural anesthesia and the accompanying interventions/complications.

lfleur
mama, cbe, doula, apprentice midwife
#11 of 12 Old 05-17-2006, 02:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What an interesting discussion!

From talking to the woman who will be teaching our sessions, I was under the impression that I wouldn't have to stay in this sort of "trance-like" state for the whole labor. She said the techniques she teaches help you cope with the ctx, but that you can do what you like between them. I liked that idea alot.

Honestly the number one thing that I hope to get out of the sessions is to get over birth fears-- fear of going through the same experience I did last time, fear of feeling like I can't get through it, etc etc. Since the sessions are just her, DF and I we can REALLY get in to working through some of these things where we wouldn't be able to necessarily in a group class, or if I just listened to CD's.

It sounds like that, with anything, you can get any wide variety of experiences out of it. I know my last childbirth class I learned absolutely nothing! It was a huge waste of time and money
#12 of 12 Old 05-17-2006, 11:57 PM

The place where we go in labor when all is working as it should, when we're able to relax and surrender to the perfect work of our bodies in labor, is Laborland. What is Laborland? It is a different frame of mind -- if you ask someone who has labored before, she'll tell you she was very absorbed in what her body was doing, she wasn't very verbal, her needs were very intense and immediate. Laborland is an altered brainwave pattern, an altered focus... AKA a state of hypnosis.

And the fact of the matter is that, regardless of whether a person does HypnoBirthing preparation, another childbirth preparation method, or no preparation at all, we all enter an altered brainwave pattern in labor. Our bodies, and our subconscious minds, take over the show in labor. HypnoBirthing provides a method of preparation that allows us to access the subconscious and give ourselves new, positive messages about birth in advance of the event of labor, so that when the subconscious takes over, Laborland is a pleasant place to be. In the absence of positive preparation, a lot of moms are stuck with the negative cultural programming that most of us accumulate over our lifetimes about birth -- and Laborland can be a stressful, anxious place. But we don't really have a choice about going into that altered brainwave pattern where the subconscious takes over -- that's labor for ya.

Yep, taking fear out of the equation makes a huge difference, and that is the "secret" technique that HypnoBirthing uses to aid mamas in truly relaxing for an easier birth.

lfleur

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page