What kind of exercise are you getting? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 05-14-2006, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel like I am slacking off a bit... I have been taking daily walks (at least 20 minutes) and have been working a lot clearing trails and yardwork. I do yoga and stretching. I play kick ball and badminton with my girls... Other than that, I haven't been doing as much as I had hoped. A few of my friends were still taking long bike rides at this point, but the thought if sitting in a bike seat and trying to balance doesn't sound so fun.

What are you doing to stay active during pregnancy??
#2 of 17 Old 05-14-2006, 02:31 PM

I'm sitting this one out. I was really good with my other two pregnancies. But the months of morning sickness really killed it for me this time. I do yard work and walk the supermarket aisles. I was thinking of going back to aerobics, but I'm feeling too big already; it'll have to wait until 6 weeks postpartum.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#3 of 17 Old 05-14-2006, 02:37 PM

I go to the gym 3-4 times a week and do about 45 minutes of light to moderate cardio. I also have some prenatal excercise DVD's I do sometimes, and I am trying to remember to stretch regularly. I keep forgetting to stretch.
#4 of 17 Old 05-14-2006, 02:43 PM

DD and I walk about three times a week, plus I do yoga once a week (I was hoping to start doing it at home, but so far am not finding the time/energy to fit it in to my daily schedule )

I need to do more, but already am doing more than my last pregnancy, and am feeling SO much better.

Happy Mama's Day!
#5 of 17 Old 05-14-2006, 03:53 PM

Until about 12 weeks into this pg, I was going to the gym 4 or 5 times a week, power waling, doing kickboxing, and weights.

HOWEVER< now I am taking daily walks whenever I can and doing yard work, plus stretching at night. I was going to yoga until about a month ago and will start again soon, but my coccyx pain has really sidelined me...the only thing that helps the pain is for me to be completely inactive...which is impossible with my own two kids plus the several others I watch...so my goal is to rest more, which is really hard for me to do.

It seems like my LIFE burns 4,000 calories a day. I don't feel like I need the exercise as much right now.
#6 of 17 Old 05-14-2006, 05:05 PM

I am firmly in the slacker category. For at least four months before I even got pregnant I was on no exercise restrictions because the fertility drugs were so effective that I had like a million eggs in there (although clearly not too effective since I wasn't getting pregnant). Once I got pregnant it is there standard policy that you take it easy the first 8-12 weeks. And then at 15 weeks I started with contractions and was told to take it easy. HA! So I try to take a walk about 15-20 min a day with hubby (but it has been raining here all week and showing no signs of stopping) and my stinking sister stole my prenatal exercise video that I bought years ago when she was pregnant with her first. I didn't care cause I wasn't pregnant but now I am doomed to END this pregnancy before she gets off her FRIGGEN REAR and returns it!!! (sore subject)
And it is not often I remember keigels...this is going to be one sucky labor at this point.
#7 of 17 Old 05-14-2006, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerTwilight
my stinking sister stole my prenatal exercise video that I bought years ago when she was pregnant with her first. I didn't care cause I wasn't pregnant but now I am doomed to END this pregnancy before she gets off her FRIGGEN REAR and returns it!!! (sore subject)
And it is not often I remember keigels...this is going to be one sucky labor at this point.
Sounds like a familiar situation. My SIL still has photos that she took after A.J. was born that I've NEVER SEEN, plus all the 3-6 and 6-12 month fall clothes I lent to her when her fourth son was born in August (they thought they were done and had gotten rid of everything, so I leant her half my stuff), and a bean cookbook that I love that I leant to ger 2 years ago!! I've ASKED for this stuff multiple times, but she's always got some excuse, or I get 4 little outfits returned, only 2 of which were ones I leant her (I gave her 2 shopping bags FULL).

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#8 of 17 Old 05-14-2006, 07:45 PM

Chasing after an 18 month old and that's it. I don't have the energy for anything else
#9 of 17 Old 05-15-2006, 01:54 AM

Probably too much....it's sleep that I really need. I do an exercise tape (I have a few to pick from) about three days a week. Me and Zayla spend at least an hour (usually two) outside everyday. That time consists of me doing yard work (raking, shoveling, ect) while she plays. I also have to run and catch her a lot as she heads for the street or I get stuck following her as she walks down our road, then I have to pick her up and carry her back home (up hill). We take a few walks a week with Zayla in the stroller and me pushing it. I'm in school every night and am on my feet a lot, moving around, and going up and down the stupid stairs often. Add the usual wear and tear of taking care of a toddler all day, cleaning the house, and doing all the shopping, ect. I eat whatever I want, and I probably couldn't get fat if I wanted to with this daily routine (knock on wood).

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#10 of 17 Old 05-15-2006, 11:40 AM

I try to do 30-45 minutes everyday, aside from just playing with DD and our outside time (which can take up whole days now that it is warmer), I alternate between a yoga dvd, an aerobic tape, the treadmill and putting DD in the stroller and going for a good walk (we live in a very very hilly area and the 45 minute loop is getting pretty hard these days).

tara
#11 of 17 Old 05-15-2006, 11:47 AM

The only exercise I've been getting lately is toddler wrangling and unpacking.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#12 of 17 Old 05-15-2006, 12:06 PM

Exercise, what's that, lol? I'm a little ashamed to say that I don't get much exercise, besides chasing the kids around.
#13 of 17 Old 05-15-2006, 12:31 PM

Me too, not much exercise other than chasing a toddler and the yardwork marathons each weekend.

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#14 of 17 Old 05-15-2006, 01:28 PM

Not as much as I should.

I go to prenatal fitness once a week and am going back to prenatal yoga once a week. I don't get to walk like I want to, and the prenatal yoga DVD I bought is just so ridiculous that I want to jump up and down on it. Seriously.

It starts out with "lean against the wall", "grab a towel" or "use a chair", and by the end, the woman is peacefully saying "for this exercise, you will need 43 hand-woven Turkish carpets, a mammoth toenail, an albino kangaroo and 7 liters of yak milk in a Firestone tire". Blech.

It's tough-- I was doing 12+ hours of martial arts a week up until we started trying to conceive, and there is just nothing a pregnant woman can do to keep up that pace. I miss the aches, bruises and sleep of utter exhaustion!
#15 of 17 Old 05-15-2006, 03:28 PM

Exercise? Thats all I have to say!
#16 of 17 Old 05-15-2006, 09:43 PM

Let's see...kegels when I remember, usually when watching tv. Prenatal yoga once a week. When I'm not working, I hit the gym twice a week for spinning class and weights. I'm just starting to take up swimming. and at the very least, I walk my dog every night for about 1/2 hour. Sometimes I can fit in a slow-paced hilly hike in the woods behind my house. It sounds like more than it feels like, cause I used to be WAY active, a hyper-fitness bunny, and now, well, yeah, running is the last thing I want to do!

Does vacuuming and housework count? My DH refuses to let me operate our lawnmower, so I'm missing out on the all the physical yardwork I used to do. But to tell you the truth, I don't really miss it!
#17 of 17 Old 05-16-2006, 11:28 AM

Well, I walked the dog this morning with DS, but most of what I'm doing is in the course of regular life. DS plays T-Ball so I'm usuallt out in the field helping him. Also we 8just* moved abuot 2 weeks ago into a two story house. Those stairs are definitely exercise. I'd love to do prenatal yoga, but Dh doesn't get home until the classes start. I have a DVD, but have spent most of my evenings getting settled in the new house. It's not what i had envisioned, but I'm not beating myself up about it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page