What were (are) the biggest differences between... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-15-2006, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...your hospital birth(s) and home birth(s)??

I haven't had a homebirth yet, but am already seeing a lot of differences in the prenatal care I get from my midwife and what I got with my OB last time. With my OB, the appointments were very impersonal. Basically in and out, filling charts, next!!! With my MW, the visits are warm and welcoming and she speaks to me as an equal. She gives me a lot of support and encouragement and doesn't tell me what she's going to do to me, she asks.

With my hospital birth, I got literally *no* support or words of encouragement from anyone on the staff. I was left alone for hours at a time and then someone different was always barging in and telling me they needed to hook up this monitor or check this or that. Several times, I had doctors come in to check me without so much as even making eye contact with J or myself, much less an introduction. I felt so uncomfortable that I am sure that it is why my labor stalled out and I was not able to progress.

I am hoping that things will be *way* different this time, birthing with a midwife and doula. I already feel so much more comfortable with them as people, and hope that being at home will help me open up and birth this babe naturally.

What differences did you notice between your hospital care and midwife? How were your hospital births and homebirths different?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2006, 12:02 PM

I'

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 05-15-2006, 12:04 PM

I've never given birth at a hospital, so I can't compare much. But all my friends seem to have really brief appointments with their OBs, almost always including an ultrasound but little hands on or discussion, and often have to wait a long time before their appointment, often much longer than the actually appointment!
So I have to say I love going to see my midwife knowing I'll never have to wait my turn, and that I'll always have an hour to chat about anything and everything on a comfy couch.
Just visiting friends or family who've just given birth in the hospital makes me depressed.
I love how the midwife comes to visit at 1 and 3 days postpartum, and I can just be lying in bed with my new baby the whole time. And there are no waivers to sign saying what I DON'T want for my baby!

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :

User Tag List