Wine and sleep - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-16-2006, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, let me start out by saying, I'm not much of a drinker. I do really like the occasional glass of wine. But, with the lack of sleep every single night, I'm wondering, would a small glass in the evenings really be a that big of a deal?

With my last pregnancy, the lack of sleep/discomfort hit much later and many evenings late in my 3rd tri I indulged in a glass of wine to help me relax so I could get some sleep.

But, something about being early in my 3rd tri makes me nervous about drinking more than on rare occasion. I have know idea why exactly, but I'm desperate. I even thought about taking benadryl last night.

I really don't get it because I'm literally exhausted by the end of the day, between working FT outside the home, then caring for our very active toddler in the evenings plus making dinner nightly.

So, would you feel guilty or nervous about drinking a little wine in the evening before bed at 28 weeks?

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#2 of 8 Old 05-16-2006, 04:15 PM

Or you could just take a 1/2 pill of Unisom (or generic equivalent). If I could take it for months, you could certainly take it to help you sleep. It's a Class A drug, about as safe as they come, same as a Tylenol.

BTW, I've been off the m/s drugs for a week, with only mild nausea!! I just couldn't take the sleepiness anymore, so I weaned myself off it and I'm doing okay. Hooray! Only thing is, I have to keep my stomach FULL, or I feel sick.

I feel fine with a half glass of wine every so often, but I personally wouldn't do it every night.

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#3 of 8 Old 05-16-2006, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf
Or you could just take a 1/2 pill of Unisom (or generic equivalent). If I could take it for months, you could certainly take it to help you sleep. It's a Class A drug, about as safe as they come, same as a Tylenol.

BTW, I've been off the m/s drugs for a week, with only mild nausea!! I just couldn't take the sleepiness anymore, so I weaned myself off it and I'm doing okay. Hooray! Only thing is, I have to keep my stomach FULL, or I feel sick.

I feel fine with a half glass of wine every so often, but I personally wouldn't do it every night.

- Krista
Oh no, definitely wouldn't drink it every night - just those "okay, I HAVE GOT to get some sleep nights."

Thanks for the recommendation of Unisom, I took that during my last pregnancy for m/s too. Works wonders and I'm glad you're feeling better!

#4 of 8 Old 05-16-2006, 04:35 PM

How about trying some Skullcap? I use it in tincture form on those nights when sleeping is tough--works great for me and is COMPLETELY safe during pregnancy. From Susun Weed's Herbal for the Childbearing Year: "skullcap provides deep, restful sleep and is non habit-forming. There are no side effects from overdosing."

crochetsmilie.gif mama to DD 8/06, DS 9/09

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul jammin.gif
#5 of 8 Old 05-16-2006, 04:37 PM

Sometimes a glass of wine will actually keep me awake. Have you ever tried rescue remedy? This might work if it is your brain that's keeping you up.

"With the thoughts I'd be thinkin', I could be another Lincoln,

If I only had a brain."duh.gif

#6 of 8 Old 05-16-2006, 07:33 PM

I don't think there's any harm in the occasional glass of wine. I agree with PP, though, and don't know if it will help you sleep?? I have some Unisom in the house from my MS days of the 1st trimester and will take one if I'm feeling restless and can't get to sleep. Good luck-I had pretty bad insomnia at the end with DS, and like you, work outside the home and can only hope it won't be so bad this time. Let us know if anything else you try works!
#7 of 8 Old 05-17-2006, 11:46 AM

Just an FYI - The active ingredient in Unisom is the same as Benedryl. In fact, most sleep aides and "night time" cold medicines use benedryl as the "sleepy" ingredient. I just take the generic version of benedryl on those nights when I can't sleep. It is totally safe and my midwife recommended it during my last pregnancy.
#8 of 8 Old 05-17-2006, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone. I like all the ideas suggested. I thought of wine because that's what my doula/CBE from my last pregnancy recommended late in my last pregnancy. It does make me groggy.

I'll check into skullcap. I believe my oat tops tincture already has skullcap in it, but I haven't been taking it

And, I always have benadryl too. I just have a major hangover from it the next morning.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page