I got a good comment! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-19-2006, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I figured I'd try to counter the rude obnoxious comments people make (I have one woman I work with who calls me fatty. She's kidding, I'm all baby, but honestly...fatty???)

Anyway, I saw a guy yesterday that I only see occasionally--he hasn't seen me in a while but knew I was pg. He asked me "how are you feeling? You look great!" That was it! No "wow you are getting big" no "wow you are carrying really small" (I get both of those) nothing other than "you look great!"

That is the absolute perfect comment to say to a pg lady...I'm going to remember that and that's *all* I'm saying to pregnant women from now on "you look great!"

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!
#2 of 14 Old 05-19-2006, 11:24 AM

If only people could follow your example! I am already quite big. I have a short waist and am not particularly well-endowed, both which affect the degree with which a woman appears to be pregnant.

I get:

Are you sure you just have one in there?

Are you sure your due in August?

You look like you're on your way to the hospital.

The people who say I look great are my heroes!
#3 of 14 Old 05-19-2006, 12:21 PM

Awesome comment and smart guy! I'll remember that too, of course, that's what I say to a new mama already "How are you feeling? You sure look great!" I remember how much it meant to me when someone said that shortly after ds's birth.

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#4 of 14 Old 05-19-2006, 12:35 PM

Awesome! I'll have to remember that too. And I'm sure you do look GREAT, Rebecca!
#5 of 14 Old 05-19-2006, 12:39 PM

He must have someone in his life that taught him right! My DH makes good comments too...

When he was 13 and his Mom was having the second set of his family, he was saying that she was exagerating about feeling uncomfortable and all that, so his Dad packed as much weight as she was carrying and put it on my DH in his newspaper bag (forward so it was like a tummy) and made him carry it around doing regular stuff. After 45 minutes he had got the point (ha ha!) so he's never ever acted like I'm making a big deal out of something tiny and he always tries to find a way to ease my uncomfortableness (like when my feet ache, I feel uncomfortable lying down, whatever). He's great (thanks FIL!).

It's going to be worth teaching my boys too.
~Julie

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#6 of 14 Old 05-19-2006, 12:41 PM

had to peek in here..when I was pregnant with my first, everyone kept asking if I was due at around 6 months, and nearer the end, I got the "How many are you having/Is it twins?" type questions... :
Actually kinda upset me, as I'd lost one early on in the pregnancy so SHOULD'VE been carrying more than one...
I think someone (other than my hubby) telling me I looked great/lovely/radiant/etc would've been wonderful!!
#7 of 14 Old 05-19-2006, 12:42 PM

Hey, that's a great one!!

teach those boys at an early age! lol
#8 of 14 Old 05-19-2006, 12:54 PM

I am really blessed to have wonderful girlfriends, and they never let an opportunity pass them by to tell me how "great" I look, even though -- if I am being perfectly honest with myself -- I don't really look that great. But I love them for it all the same, it always makes me feel better. Cuz I feel like a big dumpy housewife 90% of the the time.
#9 of 14 Old 05-19-2006, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I haven't gotten many comments this pregnancy, good or bad, but my last pregnancy I got a few. The best one, that I will never forget, was a stranger who I was helping get some information at the medical clinic I worked for. When he saw me walking up to him his face just lit up and he was saying "wow, you are so beautiful!" and making the sweetest comments about my belly. I guess he just had the right tone and sentiment that it felt really nice to hear (instead of kinda creepy that he was so interested )

Sigh, it sure would be nice to have more nice comments on my growing body. The only people who seem to notice are my midwives and doula!
#10 of 14 Old 05-19-2006, 03:57 PM

I got an odd comment from my cousin a couple of weeks ago. He said, "You look healthy." I am not exactly sure if it was a compliment or just a nice way of saying that I am getting fat.

~Robyn mama to
James, Sean, Christopher, and Michael~

#11 of 14 Old 05-20-2006, 03:22 PM

It is nice when people make considerate comments that don't make you feel like a freak for being pg. So far the best comment I got was that I didn't look pg yet. Now, I'm pretty big to start with so most strangers don't even realize I'm pg, they must just think I'm really fat. But this came from one of my good friends who knows what I normally look like so I took it as a compliment.
#12 of 14 Old 05-24-2006, 11:46 AM

You know, it's funny... I get the nicest comments from older men, 50's and up. The grandfather type. Nothing from younger men or women or older women, but i've had several older men, both strangers and friends, just lighting up to see me and telling me that I look beautiful, radiant, happy glowy or wonderful. Always makes me feel great!!
#13 of 14 Old 05-24-2006, 05:02 PM

I just got a good one myself. The cashier in the cafeteria here at the office asked "do you always hide your pregnancies this well?"

Now, this lady sees me several times every day. We talk about the baby at least once a day. She knows good and well I'm pregnant. But apparently after I went through her line earlier today, the woman behind me commented that she couldn't even tell I was pregnant.

Not bad for 27 weeks!
#14 of 14 Old 05-25-2006, 12:01 PM

When I went to get my engagement ring sized the girl asked when I was due and when I told her August her eyes got really big and she said "August??? Really???? You look like you're about to POP!!"
:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page