EPO Question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-24-2006, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can you use too much EPO? I've heard that you should take it orally and can use it vaginally and I just assumed that you should go by the dosage on the bottle. I read another post on another site that said something about using a 500mg capsule rather than the 1000 or 1500 mg capsule. I am wondering b/c I am one of those people who thinks "if a little is good, alot might be better" . So what happens if you use it too much or is that possible?

Me : DD 5/05: DS1 7/06 : DS2 11/07: DS3 3/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2006, 10:54 PM

What is EPO?
Old 06-26-2006, 01:29 PM

Evening Primrose Oil, it is used for cervical effacement.

I really don't know how much is too much, but everything I've read says to insert 2 caps at night and alternate between that and taking orally. I bet if you wander over to the midwives board, you'll find the dosage.

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:37 PM

I've been trying to find the answer myself and haven't found anything specific about doses. I'll try going to the midwife board like pp suggested.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:44 PM

I'm torn about using it much before 41 weeks... my midwife mentor says that herbal or natural "induction" is still intervention w/ the natural process & while it may be preferable to medical induction, it is intervention none the less & should not be under taken just because I'm "ready to have the baby". I am ready though!!!
Old 06-26-2006, 11:17 PM

Whats really hard is to go through the nightmares I've been through this pg, know that taking the cervical stitch out "could" put me into labor and not be super tempted to try all kinds of things in the days after removal to take "advantage" of it being removed. Heavens sakes, I will only be 36 weeks. I shouldn't be in any hurry and should want to keep this baby in as long as possible.

To be honest it's not really the pg I'm ready to be done with. It's the keeping track of ctx nearly every day (because I always have them but they don't always come close enough together to warrant timing them) and wondering if this is the batch that will send me to the hospital. Its the almost weekly and sometimes twice weekly visits to L&D to stop ptl. It's the numerous meds I've had to take to keep this baby in. Stitch removal only means that it is safe for me to labor as long as necessary. It won't put an end to the endless, go nowhere ctx that I have literally all the time. Plus I labor really fast and would really like to have a midwife here. So I will spend the next I don't know how long wondering if it's time to call the midwife.

Sorry I just vented on your post! I would just love to be a normal pg Mom for a short little while with no worries about a preemie baby! Course I have never hit a due date and if I do this time I might take that back and might also be ready to kill someone.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

I tried the midwife board and got nothing (yet). I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and see what happens. I am taking 3 1000mg orally a day and inserting 3 vaginally at night. I am also taking red raspberry leaves in a capsule since I don't like tea and a prenatal readiness formula for the last 6 weeks. I am afraid of getting to the due date and still being "unfavorable" and getting induced then and having a long labor. I really don't think that I'll go over the way I am feeling but strange things do happen.: I think that these things will work only if you are ready anyway.

Me : DD 5/05: DS1 7/06 : DS2 11/07: DS3 3/10
Old 06-27-2006, 03:00 AM

I just thought to myself today that I need to get some of this, but I'm can't remember when to start taking it!

3000 mg a day of epo sounds like a lot to me. However, I did use this with my last pg and I probably only took 1000mg a day in the last month. It does take time for these kinds of things to get into your system. If your body needs the gla (gamma lineoic acid) for more important areas, like your brain or endocrine system, you will need to build up a store. That said, despite my taking the epo, the midwife had to sweep my cervix (highly painful!!!) during crowning as my cervix was not opening up as fast as ds was coming. So I don't know if you can find the right answer to your question as its a bit of an individual need. Fish oil is also helpful for softening tissues and preventing tears.

Jessica wool.gif  DS 7  DD 4 homeschool.gif
Old 06-28-2006, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2 '05'06
I tried the midwife board and got nothing (yet). I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and see what happens. I am taking 3 1000mg orally a day and inserting 3 vaginally at night. I am also taking red raspberry leaves in a capsule since I don't like tea and a prenatal readiness formula for the last 6 weeks. I am afraid of getting to the due date and still being "unfavorable" and getting induced then and having a long labor. I really don't think that I'll go over the way I am feeling but strange things do happen.: I think that these things will work only if you are ready anyway.
That really sounds like a LOT. I think it's more like a max of 1500/mg a day (whether vaginally or orally.)

I'll do some searches and see what I can find...

Okay, here's what I found:

EPO is great to soften a cervix either applied locally to the cervix and/or taken orally - about 500 to 1500 mg per day. Get her walking!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The local prevailing dosage here is 500 mg orally three times daily and 500-1000 mg vaginally at night from 36wks on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have my first and second time moms start taking EPO 6wks before their due date. 500mg three times a day orally. Then 10 days before their due date I have them insert 3-4 caps into the vagina at night. The caps melt and the EPO gets to the cervix and gets it nice and ripe. The cervix melts over the baby's head.

From this website:
http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/herbs.html#Evening

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.

User Tag List