Baby showers.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 06-25-2006, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone had one yet? Any surprises?

My friends are so dear and wonderful...I just got back from the most wonderful surprise party -- they made a belly cast of me, and then we tie-dyed baby onesies and then I got some really thoughtful presents and things. We ate, they had tons of sweets (so thoughtful -- though they didn't take into account the fact that I can't fit anything in my stomach with this baby in here)...

Anyways, I am just beaming over how fortunate i am to have such awesome women in my life, I needed to share. Nobody has ever done such a nice thing for me. Gratitude abounds.

I will post pics from the belly casting once they are emailed to me
#2 of 24 Old 06-25-2006, 07:36 PM

Wow that sounds like a lot of fun. You have some good friends

I had a little shower last weekend? maybe the weekend before? Just some food, a cake and about 12 relatives. Everyone was happy and full of well wishes. It was very nice

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#3 of 24 Old 06-25-2006, 07:41 PM

That's really sweet! What good friends you have!
#4 of 24 Old 06-25-2006, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaChameleon
they made a belly cast of me, and then we tie-dyed baby onesies
so cute!
#5 of 24 Old 06-25-2006, 09:24 PM

Sounds like a wonderful time!

I had mine a few weeks ago. Only about a dozen people, at my favourite thai restaurant. It was a scrapbooking shower, no "baby" gifts, just gifts related to scrapbooking for the baby. Plus my SIL (who had never had a baby shower either until her third baby) ordered a vegan chocolate layer cake from the bakery that made our wedding cakes; it was frosted to look like an open scrapbook on top, and apparently my husband had dug through the photo files on the computer and found 4 photos (with me actually in them!! a rarity!), 2 with each of the boys as infants and the bakery scanned them and made photo frosting pictures to go in the frosting scrapbook pages. It was really cool. I froze a big chunk to eat after the birth too!

And a pink balloon fell down and bopped me on the head while I was opening a pink gift bag. So everyone (except the owner of the restaurant) thinks it's a girl for sure.

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#6 of 24 Old 06-26-2006, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf
And a pink balloon fell down and bopped me on the head while I was opening a pink gift bag. So everyone (except the owner of the restaurant) thinks it's a girl for sure.
That's all the kismet i need, I think it's a girl too
#7 of 24 Old 06-26-2006, 09:58 AM

I haven't had my showers yet, but I have 2 tentatively scheduled for July. I was so scared for a while that I wouldn't have any and would be left with lots of shopping to do!:

I have one scheduled for work friends and artsy friends on July 23, which should be a fun and artistic affair, as my former and present boss are colluding and both are creative with great taste. Then my fabulously wealthy aunt is planning one, although she hasn't found a "fancy" enough venue yet. I ain't a fancy girl, but i'm sure it'll be a very strange mix of family at a very expensive place, just like my family bridal shower at the local country club.

I can't wait, but i'm kinda worried, too, because i'm pretty freaked out by the thought of other people getting together just to watch me open presents. I guess by the end of July i'll be too huge to care, right?
#8 of 24 Old 06-26-2006, 01:53 PM

What great friends you have

I have never had a baby shower and don't expect one this time around either

tara
#9 of 24 Old 06-26-2006, 01:53 PM

Unfortunately, none for me. Since this is baby #4, it's assumed I couldn't possibly need anything. Sadly, that is not the case. Everything I have is either worn out (after 3 kids - like the highchair and carseat), or I got rid of it long ago (this is a surprise baby!).

*sigh* I have a lot of shopping left to do.

And just so I don't sound greedy, I would love love love a "shower" that didn't involve baby gifts too. Tiedying onesies and making a belly cast sounds wonderful! Now if I just had some friends! (Geez, I sound pathetic!)
#10 of 24 Old 06-26-2006, 04:50 PM

I didn't think I was going to have one but one my of my DF's girlfriends is throwing one. It's going to be a BabyQue and of course co-ed. I'm excited b/c I'm not a real girly girl and it will be fun to have all of our mutual friends there to help us celebrate.
#11 of 24 Old 06-26-2006, 05:19 PM

Bay area, what's a babyque?
All your showers sound wonderful!
I had a fancier, smaller shower a few weeks back that my best friend and little sister threw and it wasn't a surprise. My sister did SOOO much work for it and was SO creative with the cake and even made little individual cakes in the shape of ABC blocks. SO cute! It was like everything was professionally done. I do NOT have that talent.
Then my coworkers threw a surprise shower for me (much to my mortification, cause I didn't know what I was walking into and I took my bra off in the car cause I was so uncomfortable all day ).
AND my mother is throwing a small shower in about two weeks at her house for relatives and some of her friends that I have known my whole life.
AND my SIL is ALSO throwing a bigger shower for all my friends in this area since she lives near me...it is INSANITY!!!!! I kept saying NO MORE SHOWERS! But no one listens to me. I just hope people stop buying 0-3 mth outfits...I have washed three loads and I am DONE. I will NEVER use them all even if I have three kids!
I am grateful, just overwhelmed (everyone was REALLY excited about this pregnancy!).
And yes, it IS ackward to open gifts while everyone watches. Torture!
#12 of 24 Old 06-26-2006, 05:36 PM

No, no shower here. My sister asked who was planning them and when, thinking she'd need to coordinate, but I told her not to bother. I don't need more stuff, and while I'd love a "baby celebration" party, I just sheer don't have time right now.

I think I'll recruit her to help me throw a "welcome baby" party in a couple of months, instead. That's what we did with DD, to avoid the constant stream of visitors. We let a few close friends and family come over shortly after the birth, but everyone else we put off for a month or so. Then we held essentially a baby-open-house; told everyone to feel free to drop in anytime between 1 and 4 on a particular Saturday to meet the baby. I curled up on the couch and let my sister and my dad play hostess/host. Worked out really, really well.
#13 of 24 Old 06-26-2006, 05:41 PM

Wow, that sounds like fun! My mom thinks any baby other than the first doesn't deserve a shower, so I'm not getting one. My sister is busy with her two month old son, so I'd never expect to get one from her, and I really don't have many friends. It's not that I need a whole lot of stuff, since this baby is a girl too and DD is only 2, but it would be nice to get together to celebrate the fact that the baby is coming. Oh well.

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#14 of 24 Old 06-26-2006, 06:28 PM

The idea of a baby shower makes me feel sick to my stomach!! My family doesnt really understand my AP ideas and values so just about anything that I actually "need" I would prefer to buy myself. I come from a large family and if everyone brought a present to the shower, all of the stuff would never fit in our small house ~ so when people ask about a shower or volunteer to throw one, I let them know I simply don't need anything!! I hope I haven't hurt any feelings along the way...I'm brutally honest these days ~ I do like the idea of having a "welcome baby party" though! Maybe I can combine that with a babyque approximately one month pp!!!That is definately right up my ally!! Wonderful idea mommas!!

Lee Ann ~ SAHM to Carolina(4)uc.jpg, Aurora (2)uc.jpg, and belly.gifwith #3 - due in December!
#15 of 24 Old 06-26-2006, 06:29 PM

I had a traditional baby shower as well as a Birth Blessing. They were both wonderful and I am overwhelmed by the amount of support I have gotten from people.

I still have found I needed to buy quite a few things. It's hard because cloth dipes are not mainstream and I really needed some more newborn sizes (I cloth diped DS starting from about 6 months). I also wanted to try a Moby Wrap, so I just ordered one (can't wait to get it!). There were some things I borrowed with DS #1 and in the 4 years since we've had him, some things have broken.

In a nutshell, I feel that the baby has been abundantly welcomed, but as far as "stuff", we needed to fork over some cash to get set up.
#16 of 24 Old 06-26-2006, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC in KS
Then we held essentially a baby-open-house; told everyone to feel free to drop in anytime between 1 and 4 on a particular Saturday to meet the baby. I curled up on the couch and let my sister and my dad play hostess/host. Worked out really, really well.
I really like that idea -- and with this being our first homebirth, I think we'll need to establish ground rules at the same time as we announce baby's arrival -- maybe i will have visiting hours after she's born....I love the idea of having someone else 'host.'

hmmmmmmm.......
#17 of 24 Old 06-26-2006, 07:10 PM

Oh, the other thing I decided to do was bring a stack of easy recipes to my shower. The idea is that everyone chooses a recipe and makes it to deliver to us during the 6 weeks PP time (which also guarantees that they get an opportunity to meet the baby). I was totally shocked that instead of people taking just one recipe, everyone seemed to want to take 2 or 3! Now I've got my hopes up that we'll be getting all kinds of delicious meals!!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#18 of 24 Old 06-26-2006, 07:29 PM

I haven't had one yet, but there are two planned. One is being thrown by my MIL and aunt in law, and will be a traditional but no games shower. Boring but I can deal with it. It's just for that side of the family. Then my sister is throwing me a co ed BBQ party thing. It's supposed to be very low key--just a party and having fun. We don't even know if we'll open the presents at that one or just take them home and open them then. I can't wait for that one, I think it will be so fun!

I don't think work will throw me one, but they may have a potluck before I leave, that's what we usually do for other celebrations (we haven't had a new baby since I've worked there).

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!
#19 of 24 Old 06-26-2006, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerTwilight
Bay area, what's a babyque?
It's basically a co-ed BBQ. I'm pretty low key and didn't want the traditional games thing. For my wedding shower/bachelorette party, a small group of us had fondue and then watched a chick flick. It was perfect.
#20 of 24 Old 06-27-2006, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Here's the pic!!! My friend just sent it to me today

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1.../bellycast.jpg
#21 of 24 Old 06-27-2006, 11:44 PM

Too cute Karma! My future SIL wants to cast my belly and paint it, she's a portraiture artist in Red Bank. After seeing your pic I am really excited for her to do it!
My shower is not until August 12th, I'll probably be about the size of a VW Van. I am a little freaked out by everyone watching me open gifts too. I don't want to seem greedy, but we really hardly have anything we need for this baby so I really hope people actually buy some of the stuff on our registry. Also, I have a huge family and all my interior girls (classmates) wanted to come, so my mother invited, like, 40 women to my shower. I hate being the center of attension.
#22 of 24 Old 06-27-2006, 11:57 PM

These all sound like so much fun. I had 2 showers with my dd. My first I wasn't allowed to go to since I was on bedrest. It was all my friends from work and was a joint shower with my friend who was also pg. I'm still bummed that I didn't get to go. The other was a family one. Supposed to be a couple weeks before the baby. Ended up being a couple weeks after and the dr said I shouldn't bring her because there was some weird bug going around.

I'd really like to have a welcome baby party this time after the baby is born. Just to celebrate our new little person. Don't know though.

Oh and a question about dying onsies, what kind of dye do you use? I have a bunch of white ones from dd that have yellowish stains and I figure it would be easier (or at least more fun to dye them than to try to bleach and scrub them, lol)
#23 of 24 Old 06-28-2006, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Somebody had brought the tie-dye kit to the party -- I think they got it at a craft store -- it worked really well and we did it all inside on the kitchen island, not too messy.

I can't wait to paint my belly cast -- I want to do a tree that grows up through te middle and leaves that rain down over the breasts
#24 of 24 Old 06-28-2006, 09:34 PM

Thanks, I'll see what I can find. I've heard that the Rit Dye doesn't work too well and there is something better but I don't know what it is.

I love the idea for painting your belly cast too. It sounds really pretty.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page