Post your birth plan here - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 06-29-2006, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think one of the most important things about a birth plan is that it is a way of communicating with the hospital staff. As they read it, it gives them a picture of you. Hopefully this will communicate that this mother is knowledgeable and has clear preferences, but at the same time, if it gives the impression that the mama is angry and demanding it might backfire. We had and are planning another homebirth, but I know plenty of people who work with hospital births, and it sounds like there are a lot of professionals out there who don't respect birth plans, especially if they give the impression that the mother is ready to get mad at the staff, and doesn't respect them. This might be true of her; they might not deserve her respect. Still, giving this impression might not help create a relationship of trust and cooperation.

On the other hand, assuming the best of the staff, it's a great way to let them know what you want if they care. I know when I was in labor, I did not find it possible to make good decisions for myself. I was totally well-informed and had strong opinions ahead of time, but I was otherwise occupied during labor! I needed to be in the other parts of my brain! When I had to give decisive answers, much less demand or request anything, I think it worked against the work of the labor.

Anyway, my realization was that it is so great to be able to fully trust the people around me in labor, and know that they wouldn't go against my wishes, but not have to weigh options myself while it was happening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 45 Old 06-29-2006, 10:57 PM

oops! sorry, I doubled it.
#33 of 45 Old 06-30-2006, 11:47 AM

Well, here is ours. We ran this by our dr first (whose a friend) and it was well-received by him and he thought the medical staff at the hospital would respond well to it also...

Stephanie and Chris are looking forward to another natural, nonmedicated and intervention-free birth. If medical assistance becomes necessary, we’d appreciate it if all medical staff would review this birth plan and understand our wishes. Our most important wishes are listed below.
We understand that we may need to adjust our expectations for Stephanie or our son’s health. If medications, medical procedures, or restrictions become necessary, we ask that you discuss them with us in advance so we can participate in decision-making. We greatly appreciate your helping us have a calm, safe birth.

During Labor and Birth, We Prefer:
To remain together throughout labor, delivery, and postpartum.
That Stephanie be allowed to labor in any position she wishes, with no restrictions on movement, to include access to the shower during contractions.
Please use intermittent fetal monitoring.
Stephanie prefers not to have an IV, but will actively focus on staying hydrated during labor. Prefer to avoid hep (or saline) lock as well, but will consent if it becomes necessary.
That the room remain quiet and dim and the focus be on Stephanie during contractions. We prefer to have a minimum of hospital staff in the room (no students/observers, please).
That Stephanie not be offered any pain relief medication. We will ask for it if we choose to use it.
To exhaust natural alternatives before considering medical induction or augmentation.
That Stephanie push when she feels the urge to do so, and use gravity-enhancing and/or gravity-neutral positions for pushing. She does not want to push lying on her back or semi-sitting.
That Stephanie’s perineum be supported as baby crowns and that her caregiver(s) offer coaching and/or care to help prevent a tear. No episiotomy, please (except for fetal distress); Stephanie would rather have a tear.
That Chris be offered the opportunity to cut the cord.

After Birth, We Prefer:
That the baby be placed skin-to-skin on Stephanie’s belly immediately after birth. Please suction baby’s mouth/nose only if necessary. Please allow Chris to cut the cord.
Local anesthetic if perineal stitching is needed.
That Stephanie nurse the baby as soon as possible and remain with the baby in her arms at least until he has nursed. We’d like any necessary newborn assessment/care to happen in Stephanie’s arms.
That our son be fed breastmilk only (no water, glucose water, or formula) and be given no artificial nipples (or pacifiers) at any time.
That our son remain with us (24-hour rooming-in) after birth; if he must be removed from our room, Chris will stay with him at all times.
We decline eye treatment, the Hepatitis B vaccination, and any other immunizations.
We prefer that our son receive the Vitamin K by injection and heel sticks to test for genetic diseases after he has nursed for the first time. Stephanie would like to nurse him during both procedures.

In Case of Emergency Cesarean, We Prefer:
To give our express consent before initiating this procedure.
To have our wishes stated above respected to the greatest degree possible.
Epidural rather than general anesthetic.
That Chris be with Stephanie during the procedure and be with our son once he is born.
To keep Stephanie’s hands free.
To lower the sheet so that Stephanie and Chris can watch the birth of their son.
Assessment and cleaning of baby while lying on Stephanie’s chest before going to recovery (unless our son is in distress.)
To initiate skin-to-skin contact and breastfeeding as soon as possible.
To be kept fully informed of all our options and kept abreast of what is happening to Stephanie and the baby.

In Case of a Sick Baby, We Prefer:
To be very involved in the care of our son.
To begin breastfeeding as soon as possible. Stephanie will express milk to be used until then. Please consult us before formula is considered or administered.

We want to thank the entire medical staff for helping us have a safe, natural birth and for celebrating our son’s birthday with us.

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#34 of 45 Old 06-30-2006, 08:33 PM

Ok, I've been working on mine on and off the last couple days. See what you mommas think. I'll show it to my dr next week and she what she says.

Birth Plan For Jen, her husband D and their baby boy

Thank you for being a part of this special time for us. We want to have as natural of a birth as possible and this is our plan for an ideal birth experience.

If at any time an emergency situation arises, please let us know what is happening. We will change any of these plans as needed to protect the health and well-being of Jen and the baby.

During labor & birth:
•No cytotec, Jen would prefer a Foley catheter or cervidil or other methods of cervix ripening.
•Jen would prefer to tear than have an episiotomy.
•Jen will be using self-hypnosis for pain management. Please keep lights dim and use quiet voices. If I am concentrating, please ask D questions.
•Jen would prefer a Hep-lock, instead of a continuous IV.
•Jen would like to keep vaginal exams to a minimum.

After birth:
•Please let the cord stop pulsing before cutting.
•Jen would like to be given the baby immediately and hold him while Apgars are done and he is being wiped down.
•No Eye Ointment.
•No Vitamin K shot. We will have oral drops to give our baby.
•No Hep B vaccination.
•Jen would like to breastfeed immediately and on demand after that.
•No formula, glucose water, bottles or pacifiers.
•If there are breastfeeding problems, we request the use of a Supplemental Nursing System or to finger feed or syringe feed our baby. We would also like the use of a breast pump to give our baby breast milk instead of formula.
•No circumcision or retraction of our baby’s foreskin.
•If our baby has to leave our room for any reason, D will accompany him.
•We would like to give our baby his first bath.

In case of a c-section:
•Jen would prefer pain meds that allow me to be awake for the birth.
•Jen would like to touch/see our baby as soon as possible.
•We would like D to be able hold our baby as soon as possible.
•If our baby needs to go to the nursery D will go with him.

How does it sound? Did I miss anything glaringly obvious?
#35 of 45 Old 07-01-2006, 10:53 AM

Jen you can probably take out the bit about cervical ripening since that would be an induction thing not a labor thing

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#36 of 45 Old 07-01-2006, 11:27 PM

The only thing is that my hosp/birth center still uses it and I'm scared to have it again. What would be a better way for me to address the issue?
#37 of 45 Old 07-02-2006, 11:05 AM

the use it in labor? Or just inductions? If its inductions, I would just bring it up your provider if induction comes up

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#38 of 45 Old 07-02-2006, 01:57 PM

Ok, I see what you mean. With my dd my water broke, we freaked out and went straight to the hospital and labor didn't start right away so I got the cytotek & pit. I keep forgetting that wasn't really a normal part of labor and birth. FWIW, I told my dh that if my water breaks 1st this time we are staying home for awhile to try to avoid a lot of what happened last time.
#39 of 45 Old 07-03-2006, 12:47 PM

ok that makes sense.
I would def. stay home as long as possible if my water broke too. I seem to have sacs of steel though With ds they broke the sac, with dd I wanted it to break on it own. It broke and woosh out came dd less than 5 minutes later

#40 of 45 Old 07-03-2006, 02:10 PM

My hospital gave me a "birth options worksheet" in which you check what you want. They have astericks next to the "recommended" options -- amazingly, this military hospital recommends many natural things. Considering what military medicine is notorious for, I am surprised the recommended options are the ones I wanted. (They even have a birthing bar to help if you push while standing.) It's a good sign if the military suggests the more natural route. Of course...it's cheaper for them!

I'm going through a certified nurse midwife, but I won't know which one will be on duty (I have a 1/10 chance it's the one I've had for prenatal). Anyway, here's what I checked on their list:

++++++++++++
Prior to Active Labor:
I would like to walk
I would like to move around and change positions frequently *
I would like to drink fluids

Labor:
I will bring music and a player with me
I would like the lights kept low
I would like these people supporting me: dh

Pain Control:
I know that several options exist for management of my pain in labor, and I will ask for them if I want them *
I would like to avoid pain medications

Delivery:
I would like to use different positions to help when I push *
I would like my baby to be placed upon my abdomen after it is born*

Episiotomy:
I would prefer not to have an episiotomy unless absolutly needed * (I added: I'd rather tear)

After Delivery:
I would like to hold my baby while the placenta is delivered *
If my baby needs closer observation in the nursery, I would like my partner to go with him/her *
I would like to feed my baby as soon as possible after delivery *

Feeding Baby:
I plan on breastfeeding my baby *

Circumcision:
I do not want my baby boy circumcised
++++++++++++++++
#41 of 45 Old 07-03-2006, 02:31 PM

Wow, that is cool that they are encouraging natural options. Can you add to it too?
#42 of 45 Old 07-28-2006, 04:45 PM

My MW gave me a birth plan that trumps my succinct little 1-pager. Here it is, and I think about it and smile every day:

1. Do whatever Margaret (the MW) says.
2. No needles unless i'm dying.
3. If my in-laws come through the door, shoot them.

Sounds good to me!
#43 of 45 Old 07-28-2006, 05:43 PM

ha ha! that's really funny!

I was just working on my birth plan last night, in case I end up going to the hospital for some reason, but I like yours better!

--kristin
#44 of 45 Old 07-28-2006, 06:24 PM

i am going to a birth center and although they gave me a birth plan worksheet i didn't have hardly anything to put on it!!! compared to my hospital birth this is going to be so much easier!!!
i don't have a choice of labor drugs and no ones going to ask...check.
they don't do episiotomies so i don't have to worry about them doing/asking unless i am going to tear up again....check.
they don't really do EFM so i don't have to constantly take it off myself....check.
of course they want you to walk around, get in the shower/tub do whatever makes you comfy and have a birth ball....check
they automatically put the baby on you, encourage BF.....check

the only thing i need to really tell them is to offer for dh to cut the cord and if he says no its ok. and then find out about what shots/drops/apgars etc and when they are done.

i still need to decide about the shots. i am vaxing but no hep b but i don't know about the drops in the eyes and the vit. k (????) shot. i just haven't done any homework on that at all.
#45 of 45 Old 07-29-2006, 10:02 PM

I am having my second home vbac any day now. I did make a just in case of transport plan and a just in case of surgery plan. However, I am one of those people who once I have a plan, I don't worry, for others this might make them worry more. I wrote a 14 page (including a table of contents!) booklet for my birth team. The actual birth plan for in case of transfer or surgery is just one page long. The plan for at home is a bit longer. I included things like what to bring to the birth (like a personal bag for the members of the team), a list of where things are located in the house, a little blurb about what each person's "duties" (for lack of a better term) are, a bit about my children, some funny stories from my last homebirth, a poem I wrote about the baby I miscarried (who I believe is this baby I'm fixin to birth), as well as an almost page long statement about privacy. I have rather high standards of privacy apparently. I had fun putting it together and we all had fun going over it on the home visit. I also covered things about how I might change my mind at any minute and how I might ask them to leave and please don't be offended if I do, ect. Mostly it was written for the team members other than my doula and my midwife but my midwife said she wished more people were so assertive. It will make a nice keepsake I think.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page