Post your birth plan here - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-28-2006, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thought it might be helpful to those still drafting to see what the "finished" ones look like. And I figured it made sense to collect them all in one spot. (btw, that's the last bit of logic to expect from me today )

Here's mine, for a fully hospital birth. BTW, it's exactly the same plan I had for DD's birth, and the hospital honored it fully. You'll see it's short - fits all on one page for easy reference. The key is those first two bullets - with those two in there, I don't have to spell out all the details of how I want to labor (freedom to move, use the tub, etc.)

<Name>
General:
•Avoiding interventions.
We prefer to avoid intervening in or interfering with the birth process whenever possible. Please consult with us before beginning any medical procedure, however standard or routine.

•Open communication.
We work hard to be knowledgeable participants in our medical care. Please feel free to make recommendations based on your experience, and be prepared to offer alternatives and to discuss the pros and cons of each choice.

•Release of medical information.
KS (my sister) will be providing communication with our families. VF will be attending us in her capacity as a certified doula. We authorize you to discuss our medical care with either fully. Please keep both apprised of events as time permits.

During Labor:
•Pain medication.
Please do not offer pain relief during labor. We know it is available and will request it if necessary.

•IV line.
We prefer to avoid an intravenous line unless medication is being administered. A saline lock to provide access to a vein is acceptable.

In case of Cesarean section:
•Anesthetic.
If medical conditions permit, we prefer to use a general anesthetic.

After Birth:
•Antibiotic eye medication.
Please do not administer antibiotic eye drops to the baby. We have reason to be concerned about an allergic reaction and prefer to avoid the risk.

Assuming no medical necessity to the contrary:
•Umbilical cord.
Please do not clamp or sever the umbilical cord until after it has ceasing pulsing and has fully delivered its blood supply.

During our stay:
•Breastfeeding.
Baby is to be exclusively breastfed. Please do not administer formula or glucose without specific permission from us.

•Vaccinations.
Please do not administer any vaccinations, including Hepatitis B. We prefer to have them administered in the doctor’s office at a later date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2006, 12:47 PM

Mine is simple.

When I'm pushing, please don't count.

If I need a section, please do a double layer closure on the uterus.

No erythromycin ointment (although I do want Vitamin K) and no Hep B vaccine for the baby.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:43 PM

These look great, and concise which I think is most important.

For those of you doing homebirths, do you have a "just in case" birth plan for hospital transport? I've never done one since I figure if I actually have to go to the hospital it will be such a major emergency that it won't matter. But now I'm thinking maybe I should?

(I talked about everything I wanted with my midwife the first time, and she's sooo non-interventionist I've never worried about making a formal plan for a homebirth.)

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 06-28-2006, 03:53 PM

I wish I had a copy of my birth plan I had with my son. I don't remember exactly what it said, but in retrospect it was too long. The staff will not take the time to read anything longer than a few simple sentences.

I do need to write it down though as I don't want there to be any misunderstandings.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:49 PM

I'm doing a homebirth and already know my midwife does all the things I would want/not want for birth. I'm also going to be meeting with her soon to go over the birth and any requests I have. I have wondered, though, if I ought to do one just in case this babe decides he really needs to come between now and next thursday. Up until now, if he did come early, I didn't think I would have a whole lot of say as to what happens.

I think I will still write down assignments for my kids and those that will be in the house but not with me the whole time. I want my Mom to make some chicken vegie soup. Maybe I also ought to write down when it's ok for my 3 and 5 yo to be with me and when it's not.

Hum, lots of things to think about and suddenly it's so close!
Old 06-28-2006, 05:19 PM

thank you, i really needed to see somebodys. I didn't want to use the ones from the net, and really wasn't sure a concise way to put every thing.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:11 PM

Vegan - it's a good idea to have one drafted and printed. Most of the time you'll never need it - but I did (and didn't have one done) and a doula client of mine needed one as well (and also didn't have it done). I think it's good for "just in case" and it gives you some time to consider what WOULD happen if transported/transporting (my doula client hadn't even considered it, and it was kind of traumatic (well, it is anyways) for her to go... the mental exercise is worth it in my opinion).
~Julie

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

Old 06-28-2006, 06:13 PM

This is what I give my doula clients if they want an actual form:

BIRTH PLAN
Parent’s Names…

Our goal is to have a birth experience that is natural and meaningful for us and our child. Please assist us in achieving this goal.

Following is a listing of items and beliefs that we would ask you to respect during our time here:

Thank you for helping us to make this an occasion that we will remember with joy and peace.

If you have any questions regarding this plan, please speak with the Father as the Mother may be busy at this time.

((Bring 3 with you - one for your chart, one for the nurse when you get there and one in the room for reference in case they need to read it (and didn't see it in the other two places you had it) - and of course give one to your provider and ask that they initial it)).
~Julie

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

Old 06-28-2006, 06:25 PM

What a great idea for a thread! We're planning a homebirth and I wrote a very basic list of preferences just to discuss with the midwife. She was totally open to my "just leave me alone!" list. Going over each point was very reassuring for me.

In the case of transfer, she and DH will come along and I expect them to advocate for me. I do like BirthFree's plan and may do something like that, though.

When I went to the hospital in labor with dd, they asked me if I had a birth plan. When I told them I didn't, the nurse and CNM both said "Good!" and joked that when they see women with long, detailed birth plans, they may as well just prep the OR. I wasn't really surprised by their attitudes, but I was surprised that they would say such a thing in front of a patient.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:48 PM

Mine is very demanding, but my m/w is very open to my non-interventionist ideas and it's mostly for the nurses at the hospital. I'm planning a homebirth, but this is in case of transfer.

Early Labor:
I would prefer no vaginal exams, intravenous line, or continuous fetal monitoring.
I would like to eat and drink as desired.
I would like to choose my laboring/birthing position, including walking, birth ball, and water birthing tub.
Please do not artificially rupture my membranes, unless changing positions and other natural methods are not working.
I do not want any pain medication. Please do not offer it to me.

Second Stage of Labor:
I would like to push based on my body’s natural rhythm, not be told when or how long to push.
I would like to choose pushing positions and be allowed to change positions if so desired.
I would like to “deliver” my baby myself, allowing her to be gently brought to the surface of the water. If a waterbirth does not occur, I would like to bring my baby to my chest.
I would like to remain in the water with my baby as long as desired, delaying weight check, etc. until I can breastfeed.
Please do not clamp or cut the cord until the placenta has been delivered and the cord has stopped pulsing. I do not wish to have pitocin administered to expel the placenta.
I do not want the antibiotic eye ointment administered to my baby.
We elect to refuse the Vitamin K shot, unless the baby has substantial bruising.
Do not vaccinate the baby.

Infant Care:
Barring any emergencies, the baby is to remain with the parents at all times. This includes any exams.
All procedures and doctor visits are to be done in the room.
No procedures, including blood drawing or testing are to be done without the parents expressed consent prior to the procedure.
The baby is to have absolutely NO formula, bottles or pacifiers. In the event of a problem with the baby's blood sugar, the baby is to breastfeed before any other steps are taken.
If we are mistaken about the gender, do not circumcise the baby or retract his foreskin.

Postpartum:
I would like to leave the hospital with baby in arms 4-6 hours after birth.

Thank you for your support and cooperation in helping to bring our child into the world.

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
Old 06-28-2006, 07:18 PM

Alright, I wrote one up. And it's VERY demanding, I know, but in the event that I were to end up in a hospital I will take no chances....

Mother: K.A. BIRTH PLAN
EDD: Aug. 20, 2006
DOB: 9/28/....
Blood type: A+

Father: R.D., cell: 508...
Midwife: A.K., cell: 617...
Pediatrician: J.L., 617...

LABOR/DELIVERY:
1.No continuous fetal monitoring.
2.No offer of pain medication.
3.Mother’s movement and choice of position for birth will not be restricted.
4.No announcement of baby’s gender at birth.
5.No pitocin injection after birth except in the case of hemorrhage.

BABY:
1.NO clamping of umbilical cord for first 5 minutes after birth with the exception of medical emergency.
2.newborn assessments will be performed in mother’s arms with the exception of medical emergency.
3.NO ink footprints.
4.Baby will stay with mother (ie. not in nursery) with the exception of medical emergency.
5.NO vaccinations (ie. no Hep B).
6.NO vitamin K.
7.NO eye ointment.
8.NO artificial infant milk (formula) at any time. (In the event of death of the mother, defer feeding decisions to father.)
9.If baby is male, NO circumcision.

If 5-9 are violated in any way, we WILL sue the hospital.

CESAREAN DELIVERY:
1.Please allow blind to be lowered if mother is conscious to witness delivery.
2.If possible, rest baby on mother’s thigh to wait for umbilical cord to cease pulsing, then cut cord.
3.Please respect the infant as a person with feelings (ie. no turning upside-down, no slapping, no loud voices).
4.Please perform a double layer closure on mother’s uterus.

Thank you for taking the time to review this document,

K.A.
June 28, 2006

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 06-28-2006, 07:44 PM

Mine is kinda long but here it is. Hospital birth with an OB. If anyone has anytips on shortening it I'm all ears

Quote:
Our most important goal is to have a safe birth and two healthy babies. We realize that twin births are considered “high-risk”, but I hope to minimize interventions unless absolutely necessary. These requests have been made after much research, consultation and thought. We are using this plan to outline our preferences as we are aware that they may differ from what the doctors and nurses are accustomed to. We are aware that fulfilling the requests depends upon the circumstances. We expect to take part in any discussion of, and to give permission for, any type of medial intervention being considered. We thank you for your help.

For issues of personal privacy, we request that the minimum number of staff necessary for an optimal outcome be included on the birth team, no residents or students
S has a lot of anxiety about hospitals due to a past traumatic experience. We would appreciate everyone’s help in trying to make this as calm an experience we can for her.

Labor:
•We prefer intermittent fetal monitoring
•S prefers a heparin lock to an IV drip and will stay hydrated with ice chips and clear liquids
•Si needs freedom to move and walk during labor. It will help to keep her anxiety down
•Use the shower or tub for comfort. It has worked well for Sheri with her previous labors
•Please do not offer pain medication
•Limited vaginal exams
•We would prefer the babies' membranes to rupture spontaneously

Birth:
•No episiotomy, S prefers to tear
•Spontaneous pushing, when a pushing contraction is felt
•We'd like choice of pushing positions, whatever "feels right" Please no pushing flat on the back.
•We would like the babies to be place on Ss tummy immediately
•B wishes cut each cord after it stops pulsing
•We want to hold the first baby while waiting for the second to be born
•We prefer to allow the second birth to happen spontaneously and would like to avoid the administration of pitocion
•S will breastfeed the babies immediately to aid the natural delivery of the placenta.

Newborns' care:
•The babies will be exclusively breastfed. Please no pacifiers or supplements
•We wish to waive eye prophylaxis, vitamin K injection and hepitis B vaccine and will sign any necessary forms.
•We would like to delay the pku test for 24 hours
•Please delay weighing and measuring for a short while to allow us to bond with our babies
•We expect to room-in. If either baby ever needs care outside S's room, one of us will accompany
•We do not want the babies to be bathed. A wiping down will suffice
•We will not be circumcising our sons

Once the babies are born and all is well we would like all medical staff not required for my care or the babies care to leave to allow us to bond with our babies. We would also like early discharge based upon the health of mother and babies.

In case of a cesarean:

•We prefer that OR staff not carry on unnecessary conversations. Talk about the birth, and let us know what is happening. Both B and Doula J will support S in surgery
•S would prefer to be catheterized after receiving an anesthetic
•B would like to hold the first baby while the second is being born
•S would like to have physical contact with the babies as soon as possible
•We would like the IV and catheter to be removed as soon as possible
•Pain medication that allows S to remain alert and interact with the babies is preferable
•We would like to start breastfeeding as soon as possible after the birth

Care of babies in Special Care Nursery:

•If medically feasible B and S would like to hold and/or touch the babies before they go to special care
•S will nurse the babies as soon as possible and "on demand"
•If either baby is unable to nurse, S wishes to use a hospital-grade breast pump to express milk as soon as possible
•No procedures or tests are to be done on the babies without the consent of S &/or B
•We would prefer the babies to be placed in the same incubator if possible. If they must be in separate ones we would prefer they are beside each other

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
Old 06-28-2006, 08:57 PM

Oh my God. I am super stressed now. I am having a home birth but don't have a birth plan and now it seems like I should and I haven't thought about it at all...think I am gonna copy bits and pieces of all of yours !
Old 06-28-2006, 09:40 PM

I have ideas for mine but I haven't written it up yet. I'll work on it tonight and hopefully have a draft to post tomorrow. Thanks to everybody that's posted so far. I have been trying to figure out how to get the ideas out of my head and onto paper and seeing these helps me a lot.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:55 PM

Maybe I'm naive.....

But, I just don't see it as necessary to write, "no IV unless necessary." Um, they have to be touching you to give you an IV. So, why can't you just say no right then. Why does it have to be a birth plan thing? Same with artificial rupture of membranes or excessive vaginal exams. These things aren't going to happen without you knowing that they are happening. (If I'm so out of it that I don't know someone is checking me...well, we've got much bigger problems than excessive vaginal exams) So, I guess I just don't see the point of having it written down.

Along the same lines...wanting to move around in labor. What are they gonna do? Tie you down? If you move, you move. If they have a problem with it, well, they'd have a problem whether it's written or you just do it. So, I'd rather just not mention it and do my own thing. Maybe I'm just contrary.

And for circ...you have to sign a consent form for circ. It's checked and double checked before it's done. So, why mention it?

I guess I'm of the short, really short, crowd, but tell me why I need to write all that stuff down.

I think the things I can see the most are stuff that happens right at birth (delaying cord clamping, no Pit even if you're hemorrhaging, let the placenta come on its own, whatever...) because you (and your partner) will just be so wrapped up in a new baby that you won't be able to even think about no.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:00 PM

I agree with you about the IV, vag exams, etc. If I'm conscious, I can just tell them. If not, well, I guess it's not going to matter.
But I've heard stories about newborn care after birth that scare me, regarding procedures performed without consent. And I guess I'm considering the worst case scenario (I die or am comatose, my husband can't get a flight home from wherever in time, and the midwife or a friend or my SIL (who circ'd her boys) is the only one there).

Old 06-28-2006, 10:05 PM

That makes sense...

I am curious about the no footprints one, though. Is there a reason? I do think that they are pretty cute, and most of my friends (even homebirthers) have sent out baby announcements or thank you cards with footprints on them.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:31 PM

Could you all tell me a little bit more about the reasons for the Vit K shot that hospitals give after birth? What are the reasons some of you will choose to have this shot administered to your baby and the reasons some of you will not? Thanks!
Old 06-28-2006, 10:33 PM

Sorry, this was supposed to be a new thread...

Thanks for the birthplans you've all posted, they are really helpful for a first timer!
Old 06-28-2006, 10:36 PM

Bestys, I know women who have had arom without concent : The ob just does it without asking first or saying whats going on.

I think I'll take the iv thing out though, I put it in to avoid the nurses keep asking. I'm going to leave the bit about the ve's I know that when I had my ds they nurses wanted to check me every hour even though the mw said she was taking care of it : The freedom of movement I'm leaving in too since I'm having twins and routine is in the bed with efm. Twins are "hard to get" so once they have the hb's they don't want you to move : When I was in the hospital with ptl the nurse go annoyed when I had to go to the bathroom becuase she'd have to find the hb's again.

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
Old 06-28-2006, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS
And for circ...you have to sign a consent form for circ. It's checked and double checked before it's done. So, why mention it?
Okay, so this is a friend of a friend story, but a friend of ours (and poster on MDC) lives in NYC and their friend's son was in queue for a circ without their consent.

Regarding your other thoughts - I'm on the same page about the necessity of writing *everthing* down, yet for the major things it's certainly important. We're delivering at a hospital that is friendly towards natural birth and most of the things we'll be discussing/agreeing with our OB on before anyway (eating, limited fetal monitoring, no episiotomies, no inducement for 'failure to progress').

The things I think are important are mostly after the birth (skin to skin, delaying cord clamping, delaying tests, no vaccines/injections/eye goops, no formulas or binkies in the case of emergency nursery care).

Everything else I see as 'birth wishes' and follow along the lines of KC in KS's birth plan - it covers the major points. The blanks can/should be filled discussed with your Dr/Midwife. Even with a MF and an emergency hospital transfer, most likely the MF will be able to be present as your labor support and can advocate your wishes on your behalf.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:08 PM

Thanks mamas! These helped me so much in writing mine!
Old 06-29-2006, 12:17 AM

KC out of curiosity why do you prefer general anesthetic if a c/s? Just being nosy!

This was mine for the hospital birth I didn't end up having...if I were to do another I'd make it a lot shorter and just have my H and doula advocate for me. Truthfully knowing what I know now about how overworked and busy the nurses are I'd keep it to the most important few sentences. They just don't have time to read a 3 page thing. And the newborn care stuff, it's not going to be the L&D folks dealing with that anyway (as far as rooming in and whatnot). Just my two cents. I know I wanted to put EVERYthing in mine at first. I'm having a homebirth this time and I don't think I'm going to do a birthplan. If we do transfer it will either be a major emergency and I'm not that concerned with what happens as long as we both make it out alive, or we'll be going to the hospital where my midwife has good relationships and I'm confident she can advocate for me. (she's a licensed midwife but the OB's and nurses have turned their heads there before and let her deliver babies if it's a matter of mom needing pit or something just to get labor really moving).

oh and I do know someone whose baby was administered the hep B shot without consent and didn't find out until they were checking out. But I think a better way to prevent that is to just insist the baby stays with you or insist that your partner go with the baby to the nursery if they say they "have to" go. I honestly wouldn't want to let my baby out of my sight at the hospital (barring them having to go to the NICU or something).

anyway here it is...
General Message:

We are so happy to be delivering at __________ and appreciate the excellent care and facilities we will have there. Thank you in advance for all of your assistance. The following plan details what we would like to have happen, as far as possible. I understand that not all of my wishes may be possible in my particular birthing situation. I am more than willing to work with the medical staff in order to make my birthing experience as safe as possible for the baby.

Labor Options

Activity in Labor:
 Hope and plan to have unmedicated childbirth, please do not offer any medications including the epidural. I will ask for them if I change my mind after trying natural methods.
 Would like intermittent electronic fetal monitoring rather than continuous, since I would like the freedom to move, change positions and walk around during labor.
 I will need IV antibiotics because of being Group B strep positive, but I would prefer a heplock to have this medication administered rather than an IV pole.
Food and Drink:
 Would like to be free to eat and drink at will
 Would like to be able to use tub/shower during active labor

Birth Options

Pushing Techniques:
 May want mirror
 I would appreciate guidance in when to push and when to stop pushing so the perineum can stretch
Perineal Care:
 Warm compresses and perineal massage
 No episiotomy (prefer some tearing), unless emergency

After Birth Options

General Preferences:
 Immediate skin-to-skin contact for first hour, would prefer to delay routine procedures including eye ointment until after first hour. If this isn’t possible, please perform all procedures in room (barring emergency) and return the baby to parents as quickly as possible.
 Father wants to cut cord – please wait until cord stops pulsating
 Would like APGAR tests done while baby is in mother’s arms
Contact with Baby:
 Expect that baby will be rooming in
 Father would like to give baby first bath (or participate, at least)
Feeding:
 Plan to breastfeed, please do not give baby any bottles or pacifiers

No Vaccinations including Hepatitis B are to be given

The Unexpected

Difficult Labor:

 If labor is not progressing, I would like to have the amniotic membrane ruptured before other methods are used to augment labor

Cesarean:
 Want father and doula to be present
 Would like to hold baby right away, skin-to-skin

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
Old 06-29-2006, 12:44 AM

FWIW ... I wrote out a VERY long and detailed birth plan with all of my before, during, and after wishes outlined. It had reasons for everything and covered every imaginable thing. I shared it with my mw and we talked about everything. It was a good reference for both of us to discuss my past negative birth experience (a c/s) and what my hopes are for this hopeful VBAC. I am giving her a copy of the long form to put in my records. I am also giving a copy to my doula for her review.

I have a very detailed section on c/s if anyone wants to look at it (PM me). If you really want to "plan" for that event, even if very unlikely, you really need to understand what common hospital policies are and discuss them with your caregivers before hand. And you need to understand anesthesia options. General is ONLY used in the most dire of emergencies. It is very dangerous to the baby and will mean your partner will not be allowed to witness the birth (and you won't witness it either). It will severely limit your ability to see or breastfeed your baby for many, many hours after the birth. Most drs. prefer spinals, but I've known of too many people who have had them wear off during the procedure and they cannot be redosed (leading to GA). Epidurals can be adjusted and they can also give you longer term pain relief. Just a few thoughts.

For the hospital, I will be bullet pointing everything and only discussing the issues that will be of concern to the hospital staff during and after labor (use of pain medication, circ., newborn procedures, baby care while in the hospital, etc.). In addition, I will be giving a copy of the baby care portion to my ped. We have a strong likelihood of ABO Blood Type Incompatitibiliy Jaundice (which ds#1 had quite severely) and I have specific requests that need to be filtered through my ped's office.

DH will have a copy of the long-form with him to remind him of what he's supposed to do.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:59 AM

Quote:
That makes sense...

I am curious about the no footprints one, though. Is there a reason? I do think that they are pretty cute, and most of my friends (even homebirthers) have sent out baby announcements or thank you cards with footprints on them.
I don't mind the ones where they use the press-through kind that doesn't leave ink on their feet. But the ones where they ink up baby's feet bothers me, because it takes a while to wash off. My SIL's baby still had ink on his feet when they left the hospital. I just really don't like that. Just a personal preference.
I've never had any desire to do footprints. Though I have photographed their little feet right after birth.

Old 06-29-2006, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreial
When I was in the hospital with ptl the nurse go annoyed when I had to go to the bathroom becuase she'd have to find the hb's again.
Alright, that's just RUDE!!! Maybe she'd have preferred it if you'd just pee'd on the sheets instead, then she could find the HBs again AND change the bedding, haha. :

Old 06-29-2006, 12:44 PM

I havent finished mine, but when i went to a VBAC class at my hospital, I got a blank outline. I thought that was a nice addition! I didnt get one when i was pg with my son ( 3 yrs ago) although the instructor said they've had them for years.

I am so gald the hospital expects a birthplan.

It has check boxes and bullets, plus blanks to write your own thing.

If anyone wants a copy of it I can fax it.

Amy
Old 06-29-2006, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I guess I'm of the short, really short, crowd, but tell me why I need to write all that stuff down.
Because if your doctor signs it and includes it in your chart, it becomes official doctor's orders. Otherwise, if you want to do something that contradicts standard hospital policy, the nurses have to call your doctor and get the okay. And while you can certainly DO what you want while they're on the phone, it's a hassle for you, the nurse, and the doctor.

Here's a live example. I'd discussed with my doctor the fact that I wanted to be able to eat and drink during labor. She thought it was unrealistic (figured I wouldn't want to), but didn't object. I didn't include that in my plan, though.

So when DH went to the fridge and brought me a protein shake, the nurse tried to stop me. I sent her off to call the doctor, and downed the shake before she came back. Turns out the doctor okayed it, but it was a distraction none of us needed.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Maybe I'm naive.....

But, I just don't see it as necessary to write, "no IV unless necessary." Um, they have to be touching you to give you an IV. So, why can't you just say no right then. Why does it have to be a birth plan thing? Same with artificial rupture of membranes or excessive vaginal exams. These things aren't going to happen without you knowing that they are happening. (If I'm so out of it that I don't know someone is checking me...well, we've got much bigger problems than excessive vaginal exams) So, I guess I just don't see the point of having it written down.

For me personally, it's because the last thing I want during labor is to be pestered every two minutes. I don't want to have to refuse interventions over and over, I want the nurses to already know my answers. It's distracting. And I agree with KC--my doctor is very hands off, but he's not going to be there the whole time. So every single time I go against "standard" procedure, they'll have to call him. I'm sure he'd prefer to just sign off on my preferences in the beginning.

Anyway, here is mine. The one thing I left off is rooming in--the hospital I'm delivering at does not have a well baby nursery, only a NICU. So I don't have to specify anything about rooming in, and all tests and procedures are done in my room.

Hi there! We are so thrilled to be delivering at M. Hospital We’ve heard wonderful things about your LDR department, and we’re sure our experience will be wonderful as well. The following are our preferences for the birth of our child. We understand that not everything can be planned out. In the event of an emergency, we will consent to any necessary procedures but please explain to us what needs to happen and why. If at all possible, we’d like Dr B or C (midwife) to directly make all decisions regarding what is necessary.

Labor and Birth:

We request:
•Please do not offer pain medicine. We know what is available, Rebecca will ask for pain meds if she decides she needs them. Any natural remedies or ideas for reducing pain without meds are welcome!
•Please no IV. R will drink fluids often to stay hydrated. Prefer to avoid a hep lock as well, but consent if it is needed.
•I would like to labor in the tub as long as possible and as much as possible.
•I would prefer intermittant monitoring.
•I would like to be able to move around the room freely.
•Minimal internal exams. There is an excellent chance that dilation will take a long time. Unless I ask, I would prefer not to have my dilation announced for fear it will discourage or upset me.
•I would like to push in any position comfortable to me at the time
•No episiotomy. I would prefer to tear naturally
•Please allow the cord to stop pulsing before cutting
•No pitocin injection after birth. I would like to deliver the placenta naturally.

Post Partum

We request:
•I would like to nurse immediately after birth. If at all possible, I’d like to nurse baby through any painful procedures such as the heel stick and vit K injection. I would like to delay these procedures until we have had a chance to bond with and cuddle the baby.
•Our 10 year old daughter will be in the waiting room with her grandma. We would like her to be called to the room immediately following the birth so she can meet her brother.
•No Hep B vaccination
•Absolutely no circumcision
•R will be breastfeeding, so please do not give the baby anything by mouth without our consent.

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!
Old 06-29-2006, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieV
KC out of curiosity why do you prefer general anesthetic if a c/s? Just being nosy!
S'okay, I don't mind.

It's because I really don't do well *mentally* with a local anesthetic. I keep searching for sensations I know should be there, and reacting to imagined pain. And I totally flip out if a doctor says "you'll feel a bit of pressure".

In case of a cesarean, which will already be a stressful moment, I can't guarantee I won't lose control and go into screaming hysterics right there on the table. I'd rather they put me out than tie me down, you know?

However, I know a general has it's own set of concerns, and I can't really say that a local + sedative isn't a better choice. It'll depend a LOT on the circumstances that lead to the c-section decision, which is why I gave the doctor full latitude to make the decision based on medical conditions. If the safest thing for me and baby is to use an epidural block, then tie me down and get it over with, you know?

I will say - simply putting that preference down in my birth plan raises eyebrows with the doctors and nurses. But I think that's a good thing - it catches their attention, makes them note there's something that needs to be discussed here. And that's always a good thing.

KC

User Tag List