What are you wearing to give birth? And labor snacks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 06-29-2006, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry about the long title, but wanted as many responses as possible.

I'll be having a hospital birth and want to know if anyone has any suggestions on easy on/off clothing for all the moving and showering I'll be doing (no labor tub : ).

Also, what snacks/ beverages are helpful? I threw up a LOT with DS #1, and am truly hoping for a different outcome this time. I ended up requesting and IV because I was getting too dehydrated, unable to even keep down water.

Let's here those suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 06-29-2006, 08:54 AM

I wore the same ratty old t-shirt from my husband's store for both births, total coincidence, but it just happened to be what I was wearing to bed. I was very comfy in just a t-shirt.

Eating? Nothing. I drank water though. I too threw up during my first labor. Nothing during my second though, even though it was more painful, so you never know! I think I actually felt better because I had had a huge late lunch, whereas with #1 I was laboring on an empty stomach.

Oh, the midwife did get me a few lime popsicles during my first labor, but they mostly melted before I'd have more than a few bites.

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#3 of 25 Old 06-29-2006, 11:45 AM

I wore the hospital gowns, because I didn't want to deal with laundry. One gown on normal (open in back) another on backwards (open in front) as a robe, and I was comfortably covered to cruise the hallways. And with just a couple of ties, they slipped on and off easily enough (though DH had to tie the ones up the back).

It did make me feel much more like a Patient, though, and I'm not sure what effect that had on my labor. I actually haven't decided yet if that's enough of an issue to be worth wearing my own clothes. I'm considering a couple of old cotton housecoats like Grandma wears, instead. They fasten up very similarly, but at least they'd be pretty colors.
#4 of 25 Old 06-29-2006, 01:16 PM

I plan to wear only what God gave me. I'm planning a homebirth, but even if I end up at the hospital I will be naked. I want a waterbirth, so it would be impractical to wear a gown, plus I think it would hinder movement for me even if I wasn't in the water.

With eating, probably high protein/carb stuff would be good to keep your energy up. Gatorade is good to keep you hydrated too.

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#5 of 25 Old 06-29-2006, 01:19 PM

I also wore the hospital gowns and they were easy on/off.

I didn't vomit during labor, so take all this with a grain of salt:

Pizza
sandwich (turkey)
lots of juice
pb crackers

After the birth, I craved pineapple juice? Weird, because I can't say I'd ever drank it before then, but thankfully the hospital had some. I also liked milk and apple juice after the birth.

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#6 of 25 Old 06-29-2006, 03:35 PM

Jumping in from September...
peilover010202-I craved fresh pineapple after my second child was born four years ago. Just a couple of months ago I read that pineapple helps our bodies in healing-how cool that my body knew what it needed!

Like several of you, I vomitted during my first labor. During the second labor, I ate half a banana early on and drank a water/gatorade mixture throughout. In fact, my mw recommended having a sip after every contraction, which was cool b/c it was my signal that that contraction was over and I stayed hydrated. Afterward, I ate two entire breakfasts.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#7 of 25 Old 06-29-2006, 03:47 PM

in early labor, I ate heartily! I remember a big tasty mexican meal, and right at the beginning we went to a restaurant for Mongolian stir-fry.
I had a really long labor, so it ended up being essential to eat: later in labor, friends brought cookies, and we ate a lot of plain, healthy food. Once things got intense, I only wanted fruit, and cold, fresh fruit drinks. I think I had a smoothie, and during transition and pushing, I survived on a cold energy drink we made from a mix from our coop. It sustained me so well, that now I love it and use it all the time.

After the baby was born, a friend brought over a big hearty feast for us and the midwives. Potatoes, pot roast, gravy, carrots; it was so wonderful!

(I was irritated that we had all this tasty chocolate around for the labor, but I didn't want it then, and it was all eaten up by the time the birth was over!)
#8 of 25 Old 06-29-2006, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peilover010202
I also wore the hospital gowns and they were easy on/off.

I didn't vomit during labor, so take all this with a grain of salt:

Pizza
sandwich (turkey)
Did they let you eat pizza & a turkey sandwich in the hospital?! WOW!

I'm planning a homebirth, so haven't really given much thought to what I'll wear (though I guess I should think about what I might like to wear at the hospital in case I trasnfer before labor).

I know I will drink an energy drink during labor, but haven't thought about food. Guess I should do that & stock up, huh?! :
#9 of 25 Old 06-29-2006, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMidwife
Did they let you eat pizza & a turkey sandwich in the hospital?! WOW!

I'm planning a homebirth, so haven't really given much thought to what I'll wear (though I guess I should think about what I might like to wear at the hospital in case I trasnfer before labor).

I know I will drink an energy drink during labor, but haven't thought about food. Guess I should do that & stock up, huh?! :
Well, I'm of the frame of mind - what they don't know can't hurt them Dh and doula were both there and the nurses really didn't bother us too much. I think the nurses figured it was for the 2 of them.

Though, the nurses did bring me lunch - but told me that would be my last meal. I skipped it and went for a sandwich instead!

#10 of 25 Old 06-29-2006, 06:36 PM

I was lucky and found a short cover up that zips completely open. It's perfect for birth, I can't figure out what else you would use it for. Maybe a swim suit cover up? I don't know! Funny thing is that dh found it for me. I described to him what I was looking for but didnt think he would actually succeed! LOL I'm a pretty modest person, even through labor, so it works perfect for me. I'm planning on a water birth this time so I'm going to wear a sports bra on top and nothing on bottom, unless I get out and thats when I will wear the cover up thing.

I can't imagine eating pizza during labor! Sounds too heavy. Course I have super fast two hour labors so I drink water and thats about it.
#11 of 25 Old 06-29-2006, 06:37 PM

I'm hoping for a water birth too, but I think I might wear a sports bra on top while I'm in the tub...nothing on bottom. I want photos taken and I think I'll feel more comfortable sharing photos with certain people afterwards if I'm not completely exposed, you know?
Other than that...my dh's boxers for out of tub and I have a great button down easy on/off dress for if I want to take a walk around the birth center's garden.

I'm hoping that works for me!
#12 of 25 Old 06-29-2006, 07:43 PM

I plan on wearing nothing at all. That what I wore with my other 2 births, 1 in a hospital and 1 in a birthcenter. They'll probably be wheeling my over to the OR (where twins "have" to be delivered" throwing a sheet over me

As for eating. I tend to thrwo up when I'm laboring and I hate throwing up more than anything. I did eat some fudge when I was in labor with dd. I made dh get it on the way from il's, where I went into labor. I didn't tell him how bad or close together the ctx were so that he'd stop and get me my fudge I threw it up an hour later. I remember crying becuase I threw up the yummy fudge and that was all I wanted to eat. Poor dh was trying to comfort me saying there was more and I could have it soon enough

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#13 of 25 Old 06-29-2006, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreial
I remember crying becuase I threw up the yummy fudge and that was all I wanted to eat. Poor dh was trying to comfort me saying there was more and I could have it soon enough
This reminds me of when I threw up on the side of the highway just after finishing In N Out around month 4. I was sadder that I had just lost my dinner than anything else.
#14 of 25 Old 06-29-2006, 07:57 PM

I wore a sports bra on top and nothing below with my first (I was in a tub). I did pull on a bathrobe from home when I needed to move between the tub room and "my" labor room in the hospital. I used the robe post partum too so it was an all purpose lovey.

For my second I'm planning on wearing a binsi skirt (http://www.birthinbinsi.com/). They're a bit pricy for what they are, but I gave one to a very mainstream friend and she loved it so much she got one for me.

Labor snacks...fruit popsicles (homemade with lots of ginger and fruit pulp), peppermint luna bars (my DH actually ate most of them), honey-lemon chai (in a thermos, not too hot), and tom kah gai soup (a Thai chicken soup with coconut milk and lemon grass). Very yummy, and not so bad when they came right back up.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#15 of 25 Old 06-29-2006, 09:35 PM

I'm thinking I'll do the same thing I did with DD...buy a cheap gown of some sort from Target or something. Something I don't care about getting stained and has easy access to my boobs for nursing afterward. We're planning on having a tub here but I don't know for sure if we'll do the waterbirth so I want to be prepared for all angles. I don't know what I'll put on top for a waterbirth...I'm not overly modest but like someone said it'd be nice for pictures to not be totally nude, but a sports bra would be too tough to nurse in.

Snacks: Gosh, my first labor I had like a frozen juice bar and some apples I think during labor before I got too intense to eat...I had bags upon bags of food packed for the birth center though...I think I had stuff for pb&j sandwiches, granola bars, crackers...this time I'd like to have lots of fresh fruit around so I guess I'll just keep it stocked from 37 weeks on. Then probably simple carbs and fruit popsicles. The same kind of stuff I'd eat if I was not feeling well...easy to digest sorts of things. I also had a huge breakfast post birth...DH ran out to Denny's and got me pancakes and eggs and sausages. I think we'll probably do take out again for our meal post birth since you never know what time you'll give birth and what meal to have. I hope to have our freezer stocked by then too.

oh, and my midwife prefers Recharge (made by Knudsen) to Gatorade because it has less sugar and less sodium. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#16 of 25 Old 06-29-2006, 09:53 PM

Target has a nursing sports bra that I wear all the time b/c it's more comfortable than the others I've tried... It has snaps and opens completely, so maybe you could try that in the bath situations.

I don't know what I'll wear. I'll be in a military hospital and fighting for pretty much everything to be as natural as possible, but they did say I could bring whatever I want (I'll be the mom who shows up with the truckload -- birthing ball, CD player, doula, books, and anything else I can think of)! I did a fun-run today (I walked it) and got a HUGE t-shirt, so maybe I'll wear that.
#17 of 25 Old 06-29-2006, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieV
oh, and my midwife prefers Recharge (made by Knudsen) to Gatorade because it has less sugar and less sodium. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
When I first read this, my heart sank, I thought "That might make me throw up too???" And then I realized you'd written "throw out" not "throw up"! LOL

Thanks for the great suggestions, ladies.
#18 of 25 Old 06-29-2006, 11:09 PM

Target has a nursing bra?! Tell me more! I didn't know Target had any nursing clothes!
#19 of 25 Old 06-30-2006, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieV
That's what my midwife and pediatrician recommend too. I should probably pick some up at Whole Foods today! Thanks for reminding me!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#20 of 25 Old 06-30-2006, 09:52 AM

After reading the thread title and posts regarding the almost unavoidable vomiting, it sounds like we will indeed be "wearing" our labor snacks at some point in time. Teehee.

I've never been in labor, and I'm not making any assumptions at this point, but green Gatorade sounds pretty good to me. After that, i'll make DH run to the Whole Foods across the street for yummies.

And I need to buy a couple of cheap hospital/labor gowns, too. I sleep in tank tops and long pj pants, and that ain't gonna work for labor...
#21 of 25 Old 06-30-2006, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfbmom
I can't imagine eating pizza during labor! Sounds too heavy. Course I have super fast two hour labors so I drink water and thats about it.
LOL! My labor was 36 hours long with ds, REALLY long early first stage, so I was hungry. but, I agree, in most labors that probably wouldn't work too well.

#22 of 25 Old 06-30-2006, 04:38 PM

For the bras at target: they're nursing/maternity bras, and so far, I'm pretty happy with them (I have two). The best is the sports bra, though. I think it was $10 or $12. You can unsnap the entire front panel, but there are elastic straps that keep the shoulder straps from falling backwards down your back when you un-snap it. They're not a "target" brand... I forget what the brand is, but they're in pink (go figure) plastic capsules and are usually in a section all by themselves. If you can't find them, just ask a worker there.

Why doesn't Victoria's Secret sell nursing bras? Are boobies only for sexiness? I'm annoyed b/c their bras always fit me best before I got pregnant and grew a cup (maybe more). My dh doesn't see the problem with that, but they just get in the way, especially now that I have to sleep on my side to be comfortable.
#23 of 25 Old 06-30-2006, 08:20 PM

I just wore the hospital gowns too. I figured that way I didn't have to worry about getting my clothes dirty. I might bring a robe for later, but I'm not sure on that.

I ate pizza during my first labor too. I have to say that I was there for a long time and the nurses said I couldn't eat. I had an iv and they would bring me water but that was it. So when my ILs brought dh a pizza I had a little. I was starving and shakey from not eating. This time I'm going to bring in snacks, I figure a small cooler they'll just think is for dh and then I'll be able to have some too. The Gatorade/Recharge idea sounds good. I'll have to see if Recharge is available in our stores around here.
#24 of 25 Old 07-03-2006, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiedee

I've never been in labor, and I'm not making any assumptions at this point, but green Gatorade sounds pretty good to me. After that, i'll make DH run to the Whole Foods across the street for yummies.
We're all different, but I wanted to warn you that Gatorade was my downfall at my last birth. It made me puke, which made me cry, which made me hyperventilate and need oxygen, which made a bunch of hospital personel come in and decide I was to worn out to progress and needed a C-section.

This time, I am definitely going to go with a more natural energy drink.
#25 of 25 Old 07-04-2006, 01:09 AM

I will most likely wear a summer night gown to birth in unless I'm in the water. Then it will probably be a sports bra or a tank top. I'm not comfortable naked except around my dh. I joke to people that, of course I'm a discreet nursers - I can't even give birth naked! LOL.

As for eating and drinking during labor - that is completely out. I cannot eat or drink ANYTHING except water during labor - not even early labor. My midwives have gotten me to try juice during all of my labors and I about puked with just a sip. This time I will say absolutely not!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page