Homebirthing Mamas~ Are you setting up a birthing space or altar? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-29-2006, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With around 6 weeks left to go, I am feeling the need to set up some sort of space to focus my energy during labor. I'd love to spend most of my time out side, weather permitting. We will have a pool set up under the covered porch by the hearth, so we can have a small fire if I labor during the night. We'll also have the guest room set up a bit, too. I am thinking I'd like to have a sort of altar with objects and pictures to focus on. I have a squatting goddess candle, some crystals and stones, a beeswax egg candle as well as a few votives. I have printed out a bunch of inspirational birthing quotes and will either put them into booklet form or attach to the walls. I'd love to find a good Georgia O'keefe print and maybe order some are from www.pregnantearth.com

The guest room still needs some work. We have the futon opened up and I made it up with a shower curtain under some blankets. I'd love to find a few more big cushions or pillows. J will be attaching some hooks to the ceiling, with rope and a bar to use as support if I want to hang/squat for the birth. We have a rocker and birth stool in there as well as a few other chairs and a desk for any paperwork the midwife and doula may have etc. I have a basket set up with my herbal tinctures, homepathics, olive oil and EOs for aromatherapy.

I have been going in there daily to meditate about connecting with my body and being capable of having our homebirth after cesarean. I really feel like things will go differently being away from the hospital, in a place where I feel comfortable and supported.

If you are birthing at home, are you doing anything special to prepare for the birth? I'd love to hear about it!
#2 of 5 Old 06-29-2006, 02:53 PM

I don't have a planned birth location, so I'm just going to put the bin of birth supplies in the dining room (the most central location in our house) so that this time I won't have to answer questions about where stuff is in the middle of labor. And keep a few towels and phone numbers handy in multiple locations.
I'm worried that I won't be able to birth outside if I want to because of all the rain we've been having, the mosquito population is out of control here.
I have no desire to focus on "stuff" while in labor. I turn totally inside myself and if I need a distraction then it's usually a mental one, and I prefer to create that for myself.
I'd sort of like it if this baby is born in a different room, since the other two were (#1 over the floor in our bedroom, #2 on the guestroom/playroom floor). But since I've never had the desire to move from the room once labor has begun, I guess it will most likely happen wherever baby decides to get things going!
I'm not even stocking half the "birth supplies" on the list, since I have never used most of them before. I don't want anyone touching me during labor, so any compresses or oil have been useless. I don't like heat or heating pads. I have never wanted to eat. I've always wanted a dim room with no noise or movement from other whatsoever. Pretty much keep all external sensory stimulation to a bare minimum for me.
I guess if I could give birth in an empty closet that would be just about perfect!! LOL.

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#3 of 5 Old 06-29-2006, 05:57 PM

I am more like Krista in that I close my eyes and meditate inward when the going gets rough, but I have been working all spring a summer on a labor garden for early labor -- just a path through gardens (many "snack" plants like raspberries, concord grapes, sweet peas and green beans), a pergola and a pathway of sunflowers.

The room of my house that lies right off the gardens is a 3 season porch, and it's small and narrow, but I plan to decorate it for the birht and probably set the tub up in there
#4 of 5 Old 07-01-2006, 10:31 AM

last time I went all out and made the guest room into a full out jungle for the birth. plants, the pool, dark fabrics, it was kinda like a birthing cave!
This time we're in a much bigger place (3 bdrm. house vs. 4 room apartment) and I really have no preference over where to set things up. I want the pool to go on the porch, but that's about it. If it's raining it will go under the covered part of the porch or come inside and I guess I'll decide then which room to put it in!
I did put all of our tinctures and supplies in a big clear tupperware container... still have to sterilize some scissors and wash some towels but it's pretty much set to go. DH will be able to just move it wherever we end up birthing and have everything on hand.
#5 of 5 Old 07-01-2006, 10:50 PM

While that sounds nice, I think I'll be lucky to gather up everything I need before then!

I didn't really do any of that sort of stuff with my first birth either though. I spent a lot of time in the shower or tub, and on the couch getting my back rubbed by my mom. I kind of instinctively just did what I needed to do to get through each ctx. So I'm not too concerned with setting something like that up.

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page