Physically preparing for birth ~ What are you doing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-05-2006, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am just wondering what everyone else is doing as far as preparing physically for birth. Are you doing anything in particular to make sure the babe is in optimal positioning? Are you squatting or doing any other exercises to loosen and widen the pelvis?

We're getting so close!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2006, 12:46 PM

Nothing. Not this time. Don't have the energy. I did lots of squats with #1. Exercised a lot with #2 and used the slant board technique to turn him from breech to vertex. I'm just not going to worry about it with this one. If positioning doesn't look optimal after 36 weeks I'll do something I'm sure, but not yet.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 07-05-2006, 01:58 PM

I've been swimming, a lot. Ok swimming some and floating a lot I'm worried about recovering from my bedrest more than the birth though.

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
Old 07-05-2006, 02:04 PM

Pelvic rocks, tailor sitting, and sitting on birth ball mostly. This babe has been vertex since our 20w u/s, so I've not been too concerned about positioning but more doing these things because they feel good.

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:21 PM

Yup, I spend a lot of time sitting froggy style or with my legs spread in an unfeminine fashion. I'm also trying to walk and stretch a lot. I do cat poses and child poses. I use 5 pound dumbells to work out my arms every day. I set myself up in bed with my feet propped up. Tadpole is in a good position, according to my last 3 MW appointments, but I definitely want to keep her there!

Unfortunately, I completely suck at squatting and don't want to do a bit of it. I have never, ever, in my entire life been able to squat on flat feet, and I don't feel like playing humpty-dumpty right now to learn. Shrug. It'll all work out.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:00 PM

This had been top on my mind with the prospect of getting of bedrest tomorrow. I need some ideas on what I can do to start building up strength and muscles without exhausting myself and being overly tired when I go into labor.

So far all I've really come up with is short walks down the street and back. Someone suggested water aerobics but even that sounds too strenuous in the beginning. My mw suggested prenatal yoga so I might try that. I do have a birth ball and have been trying to think of how I can use that.

Any other ideas?
Old 07-05-2006, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfbmom
This had been top on my mind with the prospect of getting of bedrest tomorrow. I need some ideas on what I can do to start building up strength and muscles without exhausting myself and being overly tired when I go into labor.

So far all I've really come up with is short walks down the street and back. Someone suggested water aerobics but even that sounds too strenuous in the beginning. My mw suggested prenatal yoga so I might try that. I do have a birth ball and have been trying to think of how I can use that.

Any other ideas?
Pelvic rocks, they strengthen abs and back muscles and are super easy to do

water aerobics or water jogging actually are pretty nice and probably wouldn't be too strenuous - and it feels really good right now

You could sit on your birth ball and do arm work (dumb bells), that will increase core strength and your arms.

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:54 PM

I've been thinking a lot about optimal fetal positioning... I'm a member of ICAN (international cesarean awareness network) here and am a doula... all the ICAN Moms that attend right now had a cesarean from bad positioning of babe (and being in the hospital (of course says my doula self)) and I feel a lot of feet sometimes. Baby switches back from left to right and that's not bad - better than being posterior. But I'm definitely sleeping on my left as much as I can, not slouching or sitting reclined, etc. in hopes of a well positioned baby.

For exercise - I'm walking a lot (brings on major BH's though), biking a teeny bit and hoping to do my pg yoga asap.
~Julie

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

Old 07-05-2006, 08:01 PM

I've been told the best position to get baby head down and ready is on all fours, with belly slightly lowered to the ground, rocking in circles shifting the weight from one arm to the next, one leg to the next, in a circular motion. Sometimes I try this with an audible breath to practice calming myself. They also say it "rocks" your little one in the womb.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:31 PM

Well, I was doing prenatal yoga three times a week but I'm getting really tired and I seem to have lost all my motivaion. I've been swigging a lot of RRL tea. Oh, and trying to keep my feet up in an effort to find my ankles again.

~Robyn mama to
James, Sean, Christopher, and Michael~

Old 07-06-2006, 02:07 PM

Let's see...
swimming twice a week or so...which is starting to feel really great!
prenatal yoga once a week.
I still try to do a light weightlifting and cardio routine at the gym twice a week.
Pelvic rocks, tailor sitting, and squats at home when my back gets achy.
Walking the dog every night, though I notice I'm definitely slowing down.
And flipping over at night from one side to the other feels like a major Olympic effort...makes we want to grunt Heave! Ho! Heave! Ho!
Old 07-07-2006, 02:23 AM

I am really in a battle with my body.........As I have mentioned before I am a surrogate and baby girl will be going home with her biological parents.................Well, for some reason the last few weeks your body prepares for those sleepless nights............ I am in a battle with mine to try to inform it that I WILL NOT BE STAYING UP AT NIGHT!!!
Old 07-07-2006, 01:48 PM

chasing two kids around has kept me pretty fit but now I have to be careful and I was told not to squat too much right now as the extra pressure could break my waterr as I am having such strong ctx.but with DD and DS I did squats and drank oodles of red raspberry tea.i don't know if it helped but I had really fast labors

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
Old 07-07-2006, 02:10 PM

I wish I could swim more, but can't b/c I have an 18 month old. I've tried dragging him along in a floaty thing, but he hates it w/ a passion (he prefers to play in the kiddie pool where I can't get any exercise).

User Tag List