Forum Jump: 

Old 07-20-2006, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi. i like this thread. not sure why.

just had my 38 week appt.

* baby is in great position and not too big
* i tested positive for gbs. boo hoo. i'm going to do herbal suppositories and test again in a week at our 39 week appt.
* no internal exams.

i'm ready to have this babe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2006, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursula Rose
* i tested positive for gbs. boo hoo. i'm going to do herbal suppositories and test again in a week at our 39 week appt.
Opps, I totally forgot to even ask my midwife about the GBS test at my homevisit! And she didn't mention it either. I guess I should at least discuss it.
Sorry your's is positive. I hope the herbal remedies work!!

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 07-20-2006, 08:06 PM

I had my 36+5 weeks appt on Tuesday with a substitute midwife (I like her better!), and my first vaginal exam since December. She did the GBS test, and then saw that I had tested positive in a previous urine test a month ago. No one told me, so I was clueless. She said sometimes it goes away on its own accord, and hopefully the swab she took will come back neg. Fortunately, at this military hospital, they won't make me have an IV (just a hep-lock) unless I really need it, and they will let me do intermittent monitoring if all is going well. Phew! She said, "So you're going to try to do it naturally... no wait, not "try," you'll be able to do it!!" Good thing she corrected herself!

I spoke later at work about "stripping the membranes" and made one of my coworkers so sick, he had to walk out of the office. The funny part is I wasn't even saying the really gross stuff, and he had been fine earlier when our boss was talking about finding maggots in his garage. Some people are too funny.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:56 PM

Had my 38 week today - measured 38 weeks, gained a lb or two, HR good. Didn't have more than a trickle so I wasn't able to pee in a cup very well.

Last week I found out I passed the GPS.

ambotchka - my DH gets all grossed out by 'unladylike' things that I do, like fart or burp or *gasp* talk about poo. I think some people are just grossed out by physical stuff.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:43 AM

I'm going back and forth about the GBS... Part of my wants to do something to help me test negative (ie the garlic), but part of me says that if I'm positive, don't I want to know?

Do I really want to avoid antibiotics if I AM positive and this may improve outcomes?

Even though I'm totally not an antibiotic kind of woman (I think I took a round in 2001), and I think that most cases of invasive newborn GBS aren't going to be treated with 2 doses of an antibiotic. Plus, I'm allergic to amoxicillin, so it'll have to be something more than Penicillin I get, which just makes the number of hours you have to be treated that much longer (Clindamycin is 2 doses 8 hours apart, as opposed to 4 hours for penicillin)

I think I might defer to CDC guidelines for this.... They say if you are "unknown" (cause youi refused/declined/missed the test), over 37 weeks, with no risk factors (prolonged rupture of membranes being a big one), then there is no need for antibiotics. If you develop the risk factors, then you get the antibiotics. That makes alot of sense to me, so it might be the way I lean.

FWIW, the CDC also recommends treatment if you have +GBS in urine during this pregnancy, even with a negative culture.

I guess I need to talk to my midwives.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Had my 35 week appointment yesterday, and all is well!

Gained 4 pounds in the last 2 weeks... funny how that coincides with the new release of Chik-fil-A chocolate milkshakes, eh? But they say i've got 4 more pounds to gain for the recommended 35. : I like this idea.

BP was a little high but still normal. Baby is in perfect position and wiggling all over, even kicked the MW. Heartbeat has slowed down a bit but is still fine. They did the GBS test, so i'll know the results next week when I go in for my now weekly appointment. It wasn't nearly as invasive as i'd feared! They also looked over my birth plan and said it was fine, even getting a giggle about the bit of "no in-laws in the maternity ward". MW suggested poison dart arrows, which I heartily approved. Huzzah!

(I like this thread, too. It's fun to see what's happening to everyone else... satisfies the nosy part of me. : )
Old 07-21-2006, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS
I think I might defer to CDC guidelines for this.... They say if you are "unknown" (cause youi refused/declined/missed the test), over 37 weeks, with no risk factors (prolonged rupture of membranes being a big one), then there is no need for antibiotics. If you develop the risk factors, then you get the antibiotics. That makes alot of sense to me, so it might be the way I lean.
They do? Can you provide a reference? This would be really helpful for me.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:43 PM

we are going to look at the cdc gbs protocol too.

we have lots of issues to sort through:
i am allergic to penicillin
dh and i don't use antibiotics ever
the gbs test we took just says there is gbs present and not how much

in the meantime:
i'm doing herbal-c suppositories
taking lots of extra garlic
(does anyone know what else can be done?)
Old 07-21-2006, 01:52 PM

There are two regiments in HEarts and Hands:

Take twice a day with breakfast and dinner:

2 capsules lactobacillus acidopholous (2 billion per capsule)
1 capsule echinacea 350 mg
1 capsule garlic 580 mg
1 capsule or gel vitamin e 500 mg

Also place one clove of peeled, unnicked garlic in vagina every other night. Remove in morning.

Or

Each day:

6 capsules EHB by NF formulas (antibacterial supplement)
Tea tree oil suppositories (soak cotton ball or tampon with half tto and half olive oil.)
500 mg vit c ever four waking hours.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Old 07-21-2006, 06:41 PM

Today was my 36 wk check. Told dr about how weird I felt this morning and how baby had been quiet the last few days. He checked me and said I'm still high and tight (bummer, lol) but I know that can change quickly or not at all but it was interesting (never got to do it with dd). Baby is head down though, yay!!! I also had a NST because of the decreased movement. Said that baby was looking good, so that made me feel a little better. I ended up letting him do the GBS test. If I'm neg then I won't have any hassle at all. If I'm positive, I'll do what I can to correct it and have it rechecked. Now I get to do NSTs 2x a wk. I'll also see my reg dr on Tues (her first day back from vacation). Oh and my bp was a little higher 140/82, then they had me lay on my left side and it was 130/78.

I'm really torn about all of this. I want to be as non-interventionalist as I can, I want a natural, drug free birth. But on the other hand with my protein being high and now my bp edging up, I want to be really cautious too. I don't want to try so hard to not have interventions that I end up causing more problems, but I don't want to be strapped down with monitors and on all sorts of drugs with all the problems that I had during dd's birth. ugh, thanks for listening mommas.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:24 PM

Had my 36 week visit today. I have been having horrible low back pain and cramping lately so I agreed to be checked. The baby is extremely low (thus the back pain) and I've started to dialate. Of course he said, "I have no idea when you will deliver because none of this means all that much." But, I feel better just knowing that the baby is head down and low and there is a reason for all my back pain.

Had the GBS test today but don't know result yet. Maybe I'll deliver before we find out.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 in August
Oh and my bp was a little higher 140/82, then they had me lay on my left side and it was 130/78.

I'm really torn about all of this. I want to be as non-interventionalist as I can, I want a natural, drug free birth. But on the other hand with my protein being high and now my bp edging up, I want to be really cautious too. I don't want to try so hard to not have interventions that I end up causing more problems, but I don't want to be strapped down with monitors and on all sorts of drugs with all the problems that I had during dd's birth. ugh, thanks for listening mommas.
Jen, even though I've not been in your situation - I understand what your saying. There are so many things to consider with Pre-E. Have you considered asking your regular dr how s/he feels about your bp climbing?

I don't know how you feel about herbs, but I've read that Nettles can decrease bp (not sure if it would be making your symptoms or if it would actually resolve them), but I've been taking Nettle tea for the last 7 weeks and my bp went from 124/68 to most recently 106/62 (that's the lowest it's been since about 30weeks). Nettle also has Vit K, iron, and helps reduce edema and I've noticed next to no swelling since I started drinking the tea.

If you are still high and tight, you are most likely not a good candidate for AROM (unless you start to dilate soon.) So, if you need to induce soon, then cytotec/cervidil and pit are probably the way your dr will want to head.

Have you considered using EPO to thin the cervix? And, sitting on a birth ball to bring babe's head further into the canal too.

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:45 PM

Hi everybody,

Well had an appt with my reg dr today. First she was happy that I was still pg (she's been on vacation for 2 wks). Good news is that my bp is still staying out of the danger zone. It was lower than Friday which is good. My NST was good. Bad news is that my GBS was positive, I knew I should have refused it too. Oh well too late now. I asked about trying to make it go away and she pretty much said once + always +. She also mentioned inducing me if I make it to 38 wks because of increased risk due to the pre-e. So she had me do a quick u/s, luckily they had an opening and just slid me in. Baby is head down laying on my left, perfect position for labor. He's measuring about 6lbs so he's still a little peanut. Got my first real look at his face (he usually covers it up with his hands) but today he was playing with his feet instead and she got a pic of his face before he covered it back up.

So, I'm going to go try to find some EPO and start using that. I don't want all the meds and drugs that I had to have last time when my water broke and they induced me. So I'm going to do whatever I can here at home to get things going before she sets up an induction date. I've been doing hypnobabies and there is a baby come out script as well as the birth day affirmations and birth guide so I'm going to start listening to them. Not today, but probably on Thursday nite/Friday (my dh's next day off). I want a natural birth and I know that the longer I'm at the hospital, the more bad memories from dd's birth will come back to me so I'd rather get there ready to push than be there from the very beginning.

Question about the blue/black cohosh. Is it a pill you have to swallow or is there another way to do it? I have a huge aversion to taking pills (basically birth control is the only pill I can swallow without gagging). I'd like to try them but if the only way is swallowing a capsule or pill, it's not going to happen.

thanks! Jen
Old 07-25-2006, 07:57 PM

Just had my 37wks+5 appt. I was cramping and contracting all evening, so I was glad to hear I'm effaced (50%) and dilated (1cm). Not much, but I feel like I was uncomfortable last night for a productive reason. I would have been disappointed if I wasn't effaced. The bad news is that I'm pos for GBS, but it's not the end of the world, I've decided.

After that high (being dilated,etc) my midwife said I could probably have the baby at the birth center instead of the military hospital. I was so excited! I called there, talked to them about insurance, and nearly had my appt to get seen by them when ... they found out I'm active duty and not a spouse/dependant. Apparently, women in the military are not allowed to go there, but the wives of men in the military can. : So unfair!!! I immediately started bawling from disappointment and b/c it just wasn't fair. DH was there, and he said, "it's ok, we'll have a great birth!" After that I had to go back to work. I'm trying to be Pollyanna and think positive -- hey, I'm dilated! (Even if it is just 1cm... at least things are working.) Maybe the baby won't stay in there forever after all. Sixteen days until I'm due.... I'm ready NOW.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 in August
Question about the blue/black cohosh. Is it a pill you have to swallow or is there another way to do it? I have a huge aversion to taking pills (basically birth control is the only pill I can swallow without gagging). I'd like to try them but if the only way is swallowing a capsule or pill, it's not going to happen.

thanks! Jen
hey Jen, I know next to nothing about black/blue cohosh, but there is a ton of info in the Birth and Beyond forum in the midwives section. Now that seach is enabled, I bet you'll find a ton of info with dosages,etc. I'm not sure if it's a tincture or pill form though. But, I'm thinking tincture? GL!

Old 07-25-2006, 10:18 PM

Had my almost 37 week appt today. Since the midwives and I all had different ideas about baby's position last time, and I've been paranoid about a breech delivery, and since she couldn't feel a head from the outside, I opted for my first ever VE while pregnant (20 second quickie just to check position). And I'm happy to report that the head was right there, even if baby is posterior (hence more difficult to judge position from the outside). No dilation or anything yet, but that doesn't mean anything. I'm just glad it's head down now!! It feels so different being posterior though.
And I actually honestly forgot to even ask about the GBS again .

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 07-26-2006, 01:30 PM

38w appt today, 3.5cm dilated and "more than 50%" effaced. I know it means nothing right now. But, it means that I don't have that 3.5cm to dilate later! I'm totally thrilled about that.

No weight gain, baby's hr was 152, and bp was good.

I'm having contractions off and on most nights, haven't bothered timing them, they just aren't intense enough to make me think it's the real thing and they always go away by the time I go to bed.

Old 07-26-2006, 02:34 PM

Had my 37 +5 appt home visit yesterday. I got to meet the midwife's assistant, who is also a midwife. She is very experienced and calming, Both of them are so calm and collected, just the right type of personality to have at a home birth, I think (or any birth, for that matter!)
I declined a vag exam, because I don't think anything's happening down there...and if I can put it off until next week, great! My BP was ok, baby's HB is good and strong, and still in a good position: head down, body on left side, little feet stretching out on my right side.
The midwifes said my house looks all good for a homebirth, and I'm ready anytime! Wahoo!
Old 07-26-2006, 04:30 PM

Had my 36w4d appt with mw today. She was having trouble ascertaining the baby's position - had her partner come in to check. She thought he was head down but couldn't be certain. We decided to do a VE to check and she said she was 99% sure she was feeling a head down there. We decided to check again and see next week and if there is any uncertainty, we will get an ultrasound to see for sure. I asked her if I was dilated/effaced at all and she said she had felt anterior to the cervix as she didn't want to start anything before I was 37 weeks (before 37 weeks, they will not deliver at the birthing center and I would have to go to the hospital). She also said he did not feel like a big baby at all and he is still floating quite high. Considering that dh and I were both little babes and aren't big people, and that dd was 7lbs 3oz 2 weeks late, that was not surprising to me at all.

Oh - also had strep test done.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:15 PM

hi. we just had our 39 week appointment.

nothing extraordinary happened.

we are ready to go.

now, we just need labor to start. :
Old 07-27-2006, 08:59 PM

I just had my 37 week appt. No real change from my 36 week, but since I never posted that I will post now. I am 1 cm dilated, Miranda's head is low, cervix is soft and %60 effaced. Now if I would just have ANY signs of labor, I would be really happy!
Old 07-28-2006, 01:04 AM

I had my 39 week today. I was shocked when the nurse told me that the Dr usually does an exam this week. I declined b/c I don't really want to know right know where things stand. Maybe I'll change my mind next week at the 40 week or the week after. Who knows.

Measuring 38, same as last week, and actually lost weight again (likely due to not eating as much due to the heat), though as my DH was down near my feet for the doppler, he exclaimed - OH - you have stretch marks. I replied, no, honey, they're just lines from my pants. And my OB said, no, those are stretch marks. Either they just arrived or I haven't seen very well down there, but they're there. A whole village of them. So much for thinking I was out of the clear with my belly and was only going to get them on my hips.

I was so sad when I left my appointment that I contemplated ice cream. Instead I got a slice of pesto pizza from across the street and then some penne pasta at the deli and two italian cookies. I felt a little better. Then I came home and had a package from my mom of these reallly cute bibs and burb cloths. Then I took a nap and now I feel better.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:49 AM

Had my 36 week appointment today. Got the GBS swab and confirmation that I have a wicked yeast infection (like I really needed that confirmed). It was pretty uneventful

tara
Old 07-28-2006, 12:12 PM

I had my 35 wk yesterday, got the GBS swab and my first internal exam in months... Baby is still way up high, my OB could barely feel her head at all and my cervix is still totally closed. We are very fortunate that my docs have an ultrasound in the office that's the same quality/level or whatever that they use at the hospital, so they regularly just pull it into the exam room to see what's what. Baby is definitely head down, just nowhere near ready to make her appearance. That's fine with me, though -- as long as she doesn't show up til her due date (Aug 29) or even a little later, I won't have to go back to work til after Thanksgiving, which will make the holiday a bit more relaxing for me!
Old 07-28-2006, 01:54 PM

had my 35 week appt. also. nothing huge. scheduled a longer visit for next time to discuss my birth plan although we are at a birth center so theres not really much to discuss. mw had an OB trainee (or something) in there and measured me....ob girl got 34 and the mw got 36 so they just went to 35!! which is exactly where i am supposed to be. gained a little weight. enough to make them happy and little enough to make me happy. we start the weekly visits after my next....and then theres only 3 of them till edd!! OMG!!!

freaked out dh cause i told him it could be as little as 3 weeks or up to 6.......he said i would have to call an ambulance if it happened in 3 weeks cause he would be fainted and wouldn't be able to drive.....

baby's head down and inbetween deciding to stay dropped or not. ds did the same thing. i don't exspect a perm. drop until labor. heartbeat at 155 and my BP went down a bit to 155/60 (or something like that). alls good here in baby machine land.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Man, I love my MW appointments!!

First of all, i'm GBS negative, so no IV or heplock! WOOOOOHOOOO!!! :

Second of all, baby has moved down into my pelvis and is in perfect position. Plus, she seems to have inherited my curvaceous booty, as the MW was feeling her and said, "Yup, there's her chubby thigh."

All is well. I am a happy mama frog at 36w5d!
Old 07-29-2006, 12:41 AM

So my appointment today was funny. First of all my widwife (who is the greatest) is notorious for staying well over an hour. Today I kept her almost 2 hours...although she kind of kept me too.
First it was the gab fest about the breast pump and she had the LLL consultant there today to answer some of my questions and literally take me through the pump use one step at a time which was awesome cause I am a learn if I do, not learn if I hear kinda gal.
Poor dh was so tired and we spent an hour talking about breasts and ways to soothe a sore perinium after birth.:
Then she poked the baby. Croissant REALLY hates to be touched and manhandled by any one other than me and was flipping every which way to get away from her. So for the second week in a row she was OP instead of OA, which is annoying cause I lean forward ALLLLLL the time and would really like to just sit back and relax! But she says she is a peanut so has plenty of room to move round and round...at least she is head down!
She said she is pretty sure she is smaller than 6 lbs and that is good for me since I don't want her to be much bigger at birth (I was pretty small anyways @ 5.6lbs). All in all, the baby was SO funny moving away from her.
One minor thing bummed me out- my ph level in my urine was in the middle, which supposedly there is a theory that if it is high in alkoline (all the way to the left on the color chart) it can mean that labor is close. Damn. I wanted it to be close. My midwife is in ME for the weekend and commented that she feels comfortable going away now after seeing me...I kind of wish she was uncomfortable and maybe I would be ready. No big deal. I can hang in longer. Trying to grow some patience.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:00 AM

I have made no progress over the past week. : I am measuring full-term though so I image we are in for another *big* baby. (DS was 8 lbs, 4 weeks early).

With my first little guy, I walked around 4 cm dilated for weeks. This baby is quite content to stay in there it seems - only dialated to a 1. An early lesson in how each child is different I suppose. I hear ya' on the 'growing some patience' though... I'm so ready.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:31 PM

MY 37 WEEK APPT
well we are all suprised tha babe is still baking after everything I have been through not to mention the constant CTX!!! but I am 3cm and 50%
I know,I know I could walk around like this for the next ten years well not exactly but that is what it is beginning to feel like with such lack of sleep due to these painful,not really doing much ctx.I have been having more painful ctx since my appointment though so 'maybe' the babe is getting my hint....
I dropped the kiddies off at my in-laws after and they are going to saty for a few ays so I can get some rest after Griff's b'day party,did I mention that well have our house on the market too?life is never dull around here that is for sure.so I am off to clean up the grubby finger/foot prints from the floors as we have a showing tomorrow..okay..then I will put my feet up
take care ladies

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
Old 07-31-2006, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimunklemama
did I mention that well have our house on the market too?
ACK! I can't imagine having to keep my house THAT clean when a baby is due!! And especially right after the birth...the house looks like hurricane Katrina hit during those first few weeks...well, almost.

User Tag List