Sounds silly, I know, but my belly clicks! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 07-06-2006, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so I've been hearing this clicking noise every now and again when the baby moves. I told our midwife and she had no clue what it could be (asked me if maybe the baby was hiccoughing, but the hiccoughs are way different and don't make any noise at all).

It sounds pretty much like an icecube being dropped into water and the ice cracks in the middle - if you can imagine. It's been going on since around 25w (I'm 35w now) and first time I heard it I thought I had imagined it. These days it happens at least once a day..

Anyone have the same thing? It's starting to freak me out... :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 07-06-2006, 10:00 AM

I just had to pop in here because I had this with my daughter and now with my second baby! I totally thought it was bizarre as well but now I've had several clients tell me the same thing, so it does happen ( you aren't really imagining things!). I swore it was hip or knee cracking - and sure thing, after my daughter's birth, I could hear the same cracking at her neck, knees, hips - totally weird but stopped after a few days. Crazy, I know! But kinda fun to be privy to some inside noises????
#3 of 15 Old 07-06-2006, 10:17 AM

HA! You just made my day. I thought I was losing my mind. I have heard a noise like this...although to me it is more of a small pop noise- three times lately always when I am laying down so nothing else is moving!
The first time I SWORE it was my water breaking and I sat up in a panic. Obviously it wasn't and it has happened a few times since and comes from my belly. At least I know I am not the only one.
#4 of 15 Old 07-06-2006, 10:21 AM

I had it happen maybe twice in my other pregnancies. It was the strangest thing ever. Kind of like a clicking sloshing sound like someone clicking their tongue. But I've had it this pregnancy almost every single day! My midwife has heard OF it, but never actually heard it, but she believes me completely.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#5 of 15 Old 07-06-2006, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf
Kind of like a clicking sloshing sound like someone clicking their tongue.
Yes!!! And here I was thinking I was a freak of nature!!!
#6 of 15 Old 07-06-2006, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Oh thank heaven!!

Dp refused to believe me until he heard the clicking himself and the midwife tried to brush it off (she was sure it was my bones stretching but when I hear it it's clearly from the baby) but seemed truly baffled and asked if I could make the clicking happen then and there (yeah, sure.. )

Dp and I have been joking that we're having a lobster baby with claws.. it's so relieving to hear it's normal
#7 of 15 Old 07-06-2006, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glittergal
I just had to pop in here because I had this with my daughter and now with my second baby! I totally thought it was bizarre as well but now I've had several clients tell me the same thing, so it does happen ( you aren't really imagining things!). I swore it was hip or knee cracking - and sure thing, after my daughter's birth, I could hear the same cracking at her neck, knees, hips - totally weird but stopped after a few days. Crazy, I know! But kinda fun to be privy to some inside noises????
I can definitely appreciate the cracking now that I know it's not just me I kept telling the midwife "I'm not crazy, really I'm not!" and, well, it's good to know I'm not, heh!
#8 of 15 Old 07-06-2006, 12:41 PM

Never had it. Never heard it myself. HOWEVER, I remember my best friend asking about it with her last pregnancy. I am so curious as to what it is. I have read other women post on it... I believe one thread had the answer...
Can't wait to hear what you girls figured out.
Tricia

momma to 7
:
#9 of 15 Old 07-06-2006, 02:44 PM

I totally have that!!! Since it's my first pregnancy, I just assumed it was her little ankles cracking (like my knees and wrists do)... it seems to come mostly when she's VERY firmly pushing up against my abdomen.

#10 of 15 Old 07-06-2006, 10:20 PM

Our neighbors just had a baby girl and during pregnancy the Mama heard clicks. Ends up, it was an issue with the baby's hip. Something you may want to have checked out once your babe is born.
#11 of 15 Old 07-06-2006, 10:29 PM

To me it sounds/feels less like an issue with the baby, but more like a bumping into the placenta and creating a bubble or suction or something, and then the clicking sound could be more like a body part disengaging from being pushed up against it firmly, kind of like an air bubble underwater sound, or trying to get a foot out of a sticky spot. It's sooo hard to describe.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#12 of 15 Old 07-08-2006, 03:05 PM

For me, it's definitely a click rather than a pop. The ice cube cracking is a great description! I always described it as plucking fingernails together.

I've heard it all the time with both pregnancies, so I'm not worried about it. I never did hear it after my dd was born, though.
#13 of 15 Old 07-09-2006, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeshi Mama
Our neighbors just had a baby girl and during pregnancy the Mama heard clicks. Ends up, it was an issue with the baby's hip. Something you may want to have checked out once your babe is born.
I'll make a note of that.. I sure hope there is nothing to it though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pease
For me, it's definitely a click rather than a pop. The ice cube cracking is a great description! I always described it as plucking fingernails together.

I've heard it all the time with both pregnancies, so I'm not worried about it. I never did hear it after my dd was born, though.
When I told the midwife I did tap my fingernail on a hard surface to try and describe the sound to her, it wasn't until later that I thought about the icecube cracking but I doubt she would have understood that better..

I was really obsessing about this sound for many weeks - I should've come straight here!
#14 of 15 Old 07-09-2006, 08:08 PM

I had this with my first dd! To me it sounded like when you toss a penny in the pool and you're under water and it hits the bottom. A loud almost metalic click. I told my OB (had a hospital birth that time) about it, and he said he'd never heard of it, but he believed me and had them check her hips really good when she was born. She was fine. I have since heard of it a lot. It's just wierd to me taht more OB's and midwives haven't heard of it before.
#15 of 15 Old 07-10-2006, 02:30 AM

Too funny! I just heard this sound a few minutes ago before entering the boards and when I saw the title of this thread, I thought, "Oh my gosh, you're kidding me!"

I don't remember having the clicking with my daughter, but I've had it over and over again (especially over the last few days) with this pregnancy. I recently told my husband about it and a day or two later, while we were sitting on the couch watching a movie, it happened again and he actually heard it! I was so happy.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page