detergent - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-06-2006, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This may seem like a silly question, but should I buy a different detergent for the baby's stuff? I would like to get one that is all natural and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions........

mom to sam arlo (5), olive loretta (3)....and twin girls Annie and Ramona Jean, born 3/10.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2006, 12:07 PM

I've heard great things about these:

http://www.allensnaturally.com/ & http://www.charliesoap.com

We use a Free & Clear liquid for our family & I'm going to stick w/ that unless baby has issues w/ it.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:42 PM

I never used anything different until ds came down with eczema around 6 months old. We never did figure out the culprit, but it wasn't the detergent. (I switched to a Free & Clear and it didn't help at all.)

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:16 PM

B/c I'm going to be using cloth diapers this time, I am planning on getting Charlie's Soap. I will switch all the laundry over to that too. When we had DD, we used Dreft until we decided she didn't have any issues with it (when she could obviously tolerate being up against our clothes without any skin problems), but since I'd prefer a gentler soap for the CDs, we'll use it for everything so no icky soap residue builds up in the washer.

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
Old 07-06-2006, 01:52 PM

I've switched to Charlie's Soap and I really like it.

~Robyn mama to
James, Sean, Christopher, and Michael~

Old 07-06-2006, 02:25 PM

I switched to natural soaps in the the beginning, but have since gone back to regular store brand prefume & dye free detergent; it just cleans the diapers better without any buildup.
Whatever you do, if you're planning to use cloth diapers, DO NOT use fabric softener or a detergent with fabric softener (ie. that overpriced Dreft stuff).

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 07-06-2006, 11:36 PM

we use the same stuff for the whole family. Right now its all, we were using all free and clear but they don't have it at costco anymore. Unfortunatly its usually me that has a detergant reaction not the kids

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
Old 07-07-2006, 12:04 AM

Vegan, so is store brand prefume & dye free detergent ok to use with cloth diapers? I really don't want to have to buy specialty detergent esp one available online...what a hassle.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerTwilight
Vegan, so is store brand prefume & dye free detergent ok to use with cloth diapers? I really don't want to have to buy specialty detergent esp one available online...what a hassle.
I've been using Stop & Shop's store brand "Pure Power", which they make in a perfume and dye free variety. No problems with clothing or diapers.

The only place I've ever ordered online is Drugstore.com because they often have free shipping deals, but that's usually for shampoo and stuff for me.

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 07-07-2006, 11:02 AM

I will try to use my All Free and Clear unless there is a problem. We've been using it for years on my doc's recommendation (gentle on the skin), so hopefully it will work for baby, too.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:24 AM

Can you use Seventh Generation Detergent on baby stuff? It is dye/perfume free. I hadn't even really thought about this until now.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:52 AM

Sure. I used to use either 7th Gen or Sun & Earth. The problem was our washer and dishwasher started leaking. We got rid of the washer and replaced it. But we were so disappointed when the dishwasher started leaking shortly thereafter that we called in the repairman. He immediately asked what dishwasher detergent we were using in it. When we showed him the apple-scented 7th Gen he said to stop using it immediately because it causes so much buildup. He ran two loads of STRAIGHT OLIVE OIL to break down the natural soap buildup and it's been 2 years and we've never had a problem since. He said the only way to safely use the natural soaps is to use a very tiny amount (the only problem is it doesn't always get the dishes clean!).
Sooo, just be cautious with the natural products. It might have to do with water-type (hard water vs. soft water), etc., but while it may be good for the environment and sensitive skin, it's not always good for your appliances.

Old 07-07-2006, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreial
we use the same stuff for the whole family. Right now its all, we were using all free and clear but they don't have it at costco anymore. Unfortunatly its usually me that has a detergant reaction not the kids
I use Kirkland Free & Clear from Costco & really like it. I think it's the same thing as All Free & Clear.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:28 PM

hmm I don't know if dh has seen the kirkland free and clear. I'll have to tell him to take a look, thanks

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)

User Tag List