maxi pads - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 07-06-2006, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i have never bought maxi pads before and need to get some for post-birth. what kind do i get? do i need wings? what do wings do? is the generic brand as good or should i just buy the name brand? also do i need a variety of strengths, because the flow will change right. how many should i get? also if it makes a difference i hate wearing them- are there any that are more comfortable.. ie less diaperish and chunky between legs. and i hate that moist feeling, is there anything that make it better. i feel embaressed to ask, but i need to know.
#2 of 27 Old 07-06-2006, 03:48 PM

Go for the wings; they prevent leakage over the sides of your undies. The flow can be very heavy, especially for the first few days. You'll probably want to get the overnight pads, even for day time use at first. Good luck!
#3 of 27 Old 07-06-2006, 03:50 PM

Ah, maxi pads. My favorite. LOL! For right when you come home, I bought the biggest, super-industrial size ones I could find. I bled quite heavily for at least a week. After that, yes, your flow will slow down. I bled like a regular period for almost a whole six weeks. Some bleed longer, some shorter. I still have a regular pack from when DS was born, and will use those again this time, but need to get the super ones again. Wings are up to you, I guess. I don't think there's anything comfortable about them, so wings are kind of optional. Good luck!
#4 of 27 Old 07-06-2006, 04:05 PM

I used disposable maxi pads the first time and bought the longest ones out there with wings and I'm so glad I did. The first 3-4 days you can really bleed a LOT. Though I often just spread out a "chux" pad and sat on that instead it was so heavy at first. And when you get up after laying down be prepared for a gush, or even some small clots. After that it's usually like a normal heavy period, and in a few weeks it's normally pretty light, but can linger for a while, especially if you overexert yourself.
I actually like the feel of cloth pads better. Once I tried them I was hooked. They feel much cooler (which I imagine is going to be a big plus after a summer birth) and don't "stick" to you the way paper ones can.
But either way, buy a variety of pads and you can always send your husband/partner out for more of the kind you like best, LOL . (I mean, after all you go through in labor, they deserve to do a task like going to buy maxi pads IMO!!)

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#5 of 27 Old 07-06-2006, 04:29 PM

Last time, the hospital sent me home with a pack of giant ones - I LOVED them.

This time, I just went out and bought some "moderate" flow ones without wings (they drive me crazy). But, I might be sending dh out to buy some overnights. :

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#6 of 27 Old 07-06-2006, 05:49 PM

I used cloth pads last time and found them way more absorbant (and comfy) than the big ones from the hospital were. I get the largest ones available from clothwear.com I was a heavy bleeder, and these really helped keep me feeling dry and comfortable.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#7 of 27 Old 07-06-2006, 07:27 PM

Good thread and helpful info! Gotta be prepared, eh?!

crochetsmilie.gif mama to DD 8/06, DS 9/09

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul jammin.gif
#8 of 27 Old 07-06-2006, 08:13 PM

I got the super overnight Stayfree ones with wings. The ONLY ones that I like for post-birth. I haven't bought any (good reminder) but I usually get 2 pkg. so I don't have to skimp on changing them (ick).

I've used the bladder control pads (the huge huge huge ones) but I didn't think they did a good job absorbing the blood (sorry) so I like the other ones better. If you need mega long pads at first (likely), just stick two of them on top of each other so you get the length you want.

Oh brother - I always bleed for like 13w (seriously - each time) and am SO not looking forward to that again. Oh well...
~Julie

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#9 of 27 Old 07-06-2006, 08:23 PM

#10 of 27 Old 07-06-2006, 08:27 PM

Always ultrathin with wings ROCK. Super thin, absorb well and don't let you feel wetness. I had some overnights, some supers and some regulars. I really didn't use very many of the overnights.

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#11 of 27 Old 07-06-2006, 10:23 PM

Always pads give me a rash
I would definatly get a pack of the overnight long pads. I like cloth too. Since we're not even doing cloth diapers the first week I'm going to use sposie pads for at least the first week too. Then its cloth for me

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#12 of 27 Old 07-06-2006, 10:34 PM

Thanks for posting this. For some reason, I had totally forgot that I was going to need to buy more pads. I do have one full pack from when I thought I was pmsing instead of pg but I'll need more than that.
#13 of 27 Old 07-07-2006, 02:13 PM

So for those who use cloth how many do you need? I have used regular cloth pads for years but never the post partum ones

tara
#14 of 27 Old 07-07-2006, 04:17 PM

I'm wondering about the logistics of using some cheapo prefold diapers in lieu of cloth pads. I'm a DivaCup devotee, so I don't want to buy a bunch of expensive cloth pads that I won't be likely to use for regular mentsrual flow. Thoughts? Washing tips?
#15 of 27 Old 07-07-2006, 04:22 PM

Not in your DDC but wanted to join the disscussin here...

I will be using cloth for sure. Just doubler or prefolds for home becaus elast time I used ALWAYS and the combination of chemicals and my blood made HORRIBLE mess and smell and I felt like I was getting infected down there. It was nasty. I will buy some natural pads this time for if I have to leave the house.
#16 of 27 Old 07-07-2006, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreial
Me too, if I wear them for more than about 5 days. I had "diaper rash" during my postpartum period with DS, and I only bled for 3 weeks.

This time, I'm using cloth pads for sure. If you sew at all, they're super easy to make.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#17 of 27 Old 07-07-2006, 05:19 PM

My midwives tell their clients to always avoid Always. They say they are awful, and pretty much every client they have had get an infection have used Always pads.

While I would love cloth pads, I can't justify the expense for a couple weeks or so.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#18 of 27 Old 07-07-2006, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taradt
So for those who use cloth how many do you need? I have used regular cloth pads for years but never the post partum ones

tara
I have enough to wash with the same frequency I'd wash diapers (I wash them together). The postpartum ones I'm using are just trifold hemp/cotton that I can use to stuff pocket diapers later. I still have some I never even used, and they were pretty inexpensive.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#19 of 27 Old 07-07-2006, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Same here. The ones at the hospital (after the super huge bellybutton to halfway up your back ones) were Always and I actually used some of dd's diaper liners to try to reduce the irritation.

I still have the overnight Stayfrees I bought last time and never used. My midwife had me order a dozen pads as part of my birth kit as well.
#20 of 27 Old 07-08-2006, 11:39 AM

Wow I thought I was odd with my bad always experinces. Anyone ever try natural sposie pads?
Oh and I wash my cloth (the whole 2 cycles I got to use it) with the diapers too. I just rinse them off in the sink (cold water) and toss them in the diaper pail.

I do know people who have used infant or preemie prefolds for the pp flow. Personally I'd be concerned with shifting

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#21 of 27 Old 07-08-2006, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Wow I thought I was odd with my bad always experinces. Anyone ever try natural sposie pads?
Oh and I wash my cloth (the whole 2 cycles I got to use it) with the diapers too. I just rinse them off in the sink (cold water) and toss them in the diaper pail.

I do know people who have used infant or preemie prefolds for the pp flow. Personally I'd be concerned with shifting
Ahh, the shifting. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the washing tips.
#22 of 27 Old 07-08-2006, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretresistance
Ahh, the shifting. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the washing tips.
I will only wear cloth in the house (so shifting won't be such an issue), I will buy some natural pads for when I go out.
#23 of 27 Old 07-08-2006, 03:42 PM

I haven't had a problem with shifting when it comes to normal activities. For exercising I use tampons, but since I won't be exercising during the first few weeks it doesn't matter! After that I have some smaller cloth pads with snaps to keep them in place so I can start walking for exercise again. Then at 6 weeks I'll start postpartum aerobics at the Y.
I was nervous about shifting the first time I used "lay-in" cloth pads, like going grocery shopping and such, but really they never moved a whole lot on me.

#24 of 27 Old 07-08-2006, 07:25 PM

yeah the few times that I've used lay-in pads they didn't shift much but they were fleece backed so I'm sure that helped. But they liked to fall in the toilet :

#25 of 27 Old 07-08-2006, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Okay, I am an always devotee, that is so wierd that some women get rashes!? I would suggest an "ultrathin" pad, they absorb just as much as those big clunky pads and are much more comfortable.
#26 of 27 Old 07-08-2006, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamilkers
I would suggest an "ultrathin" pad, they absorb just as much as those big clunky pads and are much more comfortable.
Would an ultrathin seriously do the job on day 1 or 2 pp?
#27 of 27 Old 07-09-2006, 12:05 PM

An Always pad might work even as an ultrathin (They have ultrathin overnights) b/c they have the super-absorbent gel.... I "always" get horrible rashes (I think from the gel)... guess who's not getting traditional sposie diapers?

I use Stayfree or Kotex with no problem... Still have to pick some big'uns, though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page