Has anyone ever used Wonderoos Cloth Diapers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 07-06-2006, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just read that they are good for babies 8-35 lbs, which seems to be a pretty good bang for your buck and is a pocket diaper which I haven't heard much about except that you can use it day or night depending on how many inserts you use which seems smart.
So it seems more economical than some dipes but I don't want to waste money stocking on some type of diaper that might suck. Basically this cloth diapering thing is a pain in the neck. I can't NOT buy diapers till after the baby is born and I can't waste $200 stocking up on different kind of diapers that I might decide don't work best for me...what to do?
#2 of 23 Old 07-07-2006, 12:50 AM

I'm wondering about Wonderoos, too, but the place I ordered my stash from didn't have them so I got some BumGenius instead -- supposed to be the same kind of deal. We'll see how it goes with those and then get some Wonderoos later if it doesn't work out.

But I'm responding more to your financial concerns -- have you looked on ebay? People are nutzo about cloth diapers on there, paying almost retail for used diapers. Seriously, I bid on several auctions and couldn't win, no matter what. I'm feeling better about the initial cash dump because we can get a lot of it back if we take good care of the dipes, and we can for sure ebay any that turn out to suck for us.
#3 of 23 Old 07-07-2006, 08:25 AM

A one-size pocket diaper sounds great, but I wonder if it might be similar to other one-size diapers...the ones I have are snap-in AI2's that supposedly fit from 8-35 pounds, but they're soooo bulky on newborns that I don't use them until they're about 20 pounds. It might be worth it to buy one and set it up for a newborn and see how bulky it looks.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#4 of 23 Old 07-07-2006, 10:35 AM

I haven't used any diapers yet (been practicing on my American Girls doll Molly), but we got 30 infant prefolds and two bummies whisper wraps, plus 6 bumGenius. The price wasn't so bad from cottonbabies. Hopefully the bumGenius do what they say, because (at least on Molly) those prefolds are a little difficult. We decided to do the prefold-at-first thing and then blend in pocket diapers over time. Hope that helps!
#5 of 23 Old 07-07-2006, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf
A one-size pocket diaper sounds great, but I wonder if it might be similar to other one-size diapers...the ones I have are snap-in AI2's that supposedly fit from 8-35 pounds, but they're soooo bulky on newborns that I don't use them until they're about 20 pounds. It might be worth it to buy one and set it up for a newborn and see how bulky it looks.
Which AI2's do you have? I am looking at the one size AI2 from http://www.softbums.com right now.

I ordered one BumGenius and one Mother's Eve Grow-with-Baby to take a look at. I am not sure if I am gung ho on the whole pocket idea. Not looking forward to pulling out a liner out of the BumGenius when the pocket opening is covered with breastfed poo (the way they have it designed it most definitely is going to get covered at some point!). And although I am going to line dry my dipes when I can, the BumGenius can't go in the dryer and there will be times when I need to use the dryer. Other mamas have washed the BG on hot or dried them in the dryer and all the colour comes out of the outer fabric, so it seems best to follow the washing instructions with them!

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#6 of 23 Old 07-07-2006, 10:54 AM

I have Little Lambs. And they work great for us (once I figured out that you need an extra hemp doubler up front for boys), but the snap system for changing sizes makes the two smaller sizes very bulky (a friend who tried them for their newborn called it the "bowling ball" diaper; worked great, but just looked HUGE on an infant).

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#7 of 23 Old 07-07-2006, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf
I have Little Lambs. And they work great for us (once I figured out that you need an extra hemp doubler up front for boys), but the snap system for changing sizes makes the two smaller sizes very bulky (a friend who tried them for their newborn called it the "bowling ball" diaper; worked great, but just looked HUGE on an infant).
Those dipes look really cute though. I am trying to check them out, but I can't get past the main page of their web site right now without it timing out. I'll have to check back on it later.

There are just so many darn choices out there. And it is so difficult when you don't want to spend a ton on "testers" and when you don't yet have a baby to try them on! I've sent the Soft Bums lady a small list of questions before I take the plunge and order. I've spent literally months trying to find the "perfect" set up and in the end I just have to make a decision, order, and quit worrying about what else is out there!

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#8 of 23 Old 07-07-2006, 12:33 PM

Ihad them for DD but I didn't like them as they wicked and just didn't seem to keep her as comfy as the fuzzis.I tried different things with them,they just didn't work for me,
HTH,

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
#9 of 23 Old 07-07-2006, 12:39 PM

Wonderoos were the first diaper I tried...I didn't like them because they left elastic marks at the waist and thighs (no matter how loosely they were snapped). It didn't seem to bother my daughter, but it bugged me!! However, my daughter was REALLY chunky back then, so I might have liked them if she were slimmer. I ended up using fuzzi bunz for a long time, before I switched to fitteds/wool.
#10 of 23 Old 07-07-2006, 12:42 PM

:
on the marks on the thighs and my dd wasn't even that chunky,just a little roll

also double check,i could be wrong but I think little lambs is getting a lot of bad feedback for scamming right now,if I am mistaken,i am sorry but there was a mama on the october(i think)board who lost a lot of money and someone posted the thread from diaperpin and another on mothering regarding it.
again double check but i am pretty sure it is that one,

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
#11 of 23 Old 07-07-2006, 12:55 PM

As for Wonderoos....they are my favorite pocket dipe currently, my son is 2 yrs. and still wearing his....they don't fit a newborn very well, but after a few months they were great. And he's beenwearing them ever since, which I can't say about any of his other dipes. If you go this route, it's worth it to invest in some good liners too.

As for the cost....check out diaperswappers.com
That's where we've gotten ALOT of our used dipes for great prices.

R
#12 of 23 Old 07-07-2006, 01:01 PM

I haven't heard good things about Wonderoos but I haven't used them personally.

I just bought a Bumgenius though and I LOVE it. It fits my 23 lb 17 month old great, and my best friend's 2 month old has been wearing them for a few weeks with no complaints either. It's a really nice, well made diaper and I LOVE the stretchy tabs. Changes are very easy. I can definitely see this one going the distance. I probably will buy a stash of these either for the new baby when they outgrow the kissaluvs I bought, or for Abby when she outgrows her M FB and then the new baby can inherit those.

Little Lambs I thought was being shut down through ebay. Her customer service was pretty horrid at times. Though I know people loved her products.

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#13 of 23 Old 07-07-2006, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimunklemama
:
on the marks on the thighs and my dd wasn't even that chunky,just a little roll

also double check,i could be wrong but I think little lambs is getting a lot of bad feedback for scamming right now,if I am mistaken,i am sorry but there was a mama on the october(i think)board who lost a lot of money and someone posted the thread from diaperpin and another on mothering regarding it.
again double check but i am pretty sure it is that one,
I've heard about that too. All I can say is I've ordered at least half a dozen times and only had good experiences.

#14 of 23 Old 07-07-2006, 01:07 PM

Wonderoos are okay for older babes - they don't fit newborns great.

For our newborn I'm going the cheap route - prefolds & covers.
#15 of 23 Old 07-07-2006, 01:51 PM

My entire stash of CDs is used. Check out freecycle groups, craigslist, ebay, or Yahoo groups to find free or cheap used diapers. I have a whole variety of types, and was able to slowly build up quite a stash. Even just asking around on other boards you visit could get you somewhere.

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#16 of 23 Old 07-07-2006, 02:24 PM

We got some wonderoos but my daughter toilet trained before they ever got used. Most one size are very bulky on a newborn but that never really bothered me. This time I got some preemie prefolds and some doublers to use as diapers in the newborn stage and then onto the one size ones.

tara
#17 of 23 Old 07-07-2006, 03:31 PM

I made a stash of Cuddlebuns bikini cut one size dipes, but I've heard they don't start being really comfy for babe until around 10-12 lbs, so I have NB prefolds and fitteds and covers for that stage. I also have a variety of covers--wool, fleece and PUL, so I can see what I like before I make or buy my mediums. And a couple of AIO's for the diaper bag.

re: Little Lambs, from what I've heard she used to be really good, and then in the last year or two has had a *lot* of problems with quality and customer service. Her ebay store has been shut down by ebay. If I were to buy LL's, I'd get them used from someone else, personally. The feedback forums at diaperswappers should tell you all you need to know.

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!
#18 of 23 Old 07-07-2006, 11:30 PM

We have old style Wonderoos and dd has been using them for over a year. They didn't fit well during the first few months, though.

We bought a bumGenius to try and I really like it. It's much trimmer through the crotch and I prefer the velcro for a better fit. I plan on buying more before the new babe comes - I'm just hoping they'll get some girly colors!
#19 of 23 Old 07-08-2006, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambotchka
Hopefully the bumGenius do what they say, because (at least on Molly) those prefolds are a little difficult. We decided to do the prefold-at-first thing and then blend in pocket diapers over time. Hope that helps!
Have you tried just trifolding (folding in thirds) the prefold inside the wrap? Everyone assures me that this works & it sure seems easy! I guess I'll let you know once I have a screaming, squirming baby to try it on!!!

By the way, Summer, check out the diapering forum... TONS of info there.
#20 of 23 Old 07-09-2006, 08:29 AM

I would not touch LL with a fifty foot pole-the woman who makes them truly gives a bad name to WAHMs. A lot of people love Wonderoos but I was never a fan with DS-my stash with him does have some Fuzzi Bunz but it's mostly an assortment of WAHM made pockets, AIO's and fitteds.

I bought some FB for Ava, gently used by another mama on an April 04 private board I'm part of-her son recently grew out of them and she made me a killer deal on them. We've also got about two dozen CPF's, two dozen IPF's, some Prorap colors covers, a really cute girly wool soaker on the way, and a handful of various WAHM-made fitteds and AIO's. So I'm hoping that'll be enough.

Oh my-I swore I didn't understand CDing when I had my oldest child in 99, and now I'm going to be CDing two.....

Edited to add...when I did a diaper service with DD Kaia with CPF's and wraps, yes, we did trifold it in there and then folded it down in front-very easy and worked great for us.
#21 of 23 Old 07-09-2006, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karah R
I would not touch LL with a fifty foot pole-the woman who makes them truly gives a bad name to WAHMs.
It's too bad there have been so many bad experiences with her. She even made some custom print diapers for me that were inexpensive. Aside from them running small for my chunky thighed kids, I've never had any complaints. I wonder what happened?

#22 of 23 Old 07-24-2006, 05:38 PM

I just bought some old-style Roos off of Ebay. They have elastic in the back which my Happy Heinys do not. They left a red mark, which is one of the main reasons I switched from sposies--to avoid red marks.

Happy Heinys feel thicker and softer and just nicer. And the prints are super cute!
#23 of 23 Old 07-25-2006, 12:20 AM

JenMidwife...trifolding prefolds only works on pee diapers in a newborn. The breastmilk poo goes EVERY.where if you do that for poop diapers. Trifolding works great once their poop is solid though. I used to just roll the dice sometimes, guessing (mostly wrong!) when she'd poo.

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page