60% effaced at 32 weeks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-07-2006, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a checkup yesterday and the midwife said the baby's head was really low and I was 60% effaced, although not dialated. She is threatening to put me on bedrest if I show any signs of going into labor. She seemed pretty concerned since I only pushed around 5-6 times for less than an hour with DD (my labor was about 16 hours from beginning to end, but didn't have to push much to get her out) and seems to think I will have a fast birth this time around. I haven't really started preparing much at all for this baby and this prompted me to order my birth kit and make a list of all the stuff I need for the baby's early days. How concerned should I be? : I just don't want to get put on bedrest and not have all my shopping done!
#2 of 4 Old 07-07-2006, 03:17 PM

Well, my first thought is why did she check you already? Have you been having contractions? If not, then how does she know you weren't 60% effaced with your dd at this point? This could be completely normal for you at this stage.

Honestly, it could be WEEKS before you make any more progress and the efficacy of bedrest is highly disputed (sorry mamas who are on bedrest.)

I would definitely post this over in the Midwives forum and see what they say.

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#3 of 4 Old 07-07-2006, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know why they check this early, I haven't had any contractions other than BH. With DD I was checked the first time at 40 wks 3 days (different midwife than this time) and my cervix was really high and not effaced. All the dilation and effacement happend when I was in early labor. I will post on the Midwives forum and see what they say!
#4 of 4 Old 07-07-2006, 03:45 PM

Hmmm. That's kind of interesting that she would check you. Seems like maybe she is looking for an issue to complicate things.

I only pushed about 5 - 6 times both times (15 min. total) but no one ever worried about pre-term labor the next baby.

I would think that effacement is alright where dilation would be more worrisome... but I don't think she should be checking unless you are having too-common BH's or real ctx.

Hope you get a good answer at the MW board.

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page