What R U planning 4 ur postpartum care? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-07-2006, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought this would be a good thread to help moms with postpartum care for self. What is the tried and true thing you will do to be comfortable after birth of the baby. What is your healing method? How will you relax?

For example:

I was told to soak a washcloth in witch hazel and freeze it. This cloth is to be applied to your stitch perineal area. I hear it's bliss. My area never ripped or was cut so I didn't try it but I am grateful for the information is I do need it.

So add yours.....

SAHM to DS(11), DD(9), DD(7), DD(5), angel.gif loss(28wks 12/31/10), and DD (2); wife to DH since 1998
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2006, 12:19 AM

I'm making an afterbirth tincture so that in case I have afterbirth pains (I never have thus far... but this is baby #3) I can take the tincture instead of drinking the disgusting-tasting tea.

I am also going to uncover my hemmy-pillow (for those pushing-hemmys I get and in case I tear for the third time). It makes sitting bearable for the first few days for me.

As far as what else can be done... if you get a big pad and get it wet/freeze it (gently laid over so there's some curve to it) in your freezer, it will keep swelling down immediately after birth.

If I had some sitz bath I'd make 'burritos' out of it (boil water, remove from heat, put in sitz bath and let steep for at least 15 min, strain out herbs and set aside 'tea' water for a sitz bath later). You just put the herbs after the steeping into guaze pads, wrap them into a burrito and then lay a soaked piece of seaweed (so it's soft) over the burrito. Then you can add some castor oil on top when you put it onto your pad - this (herbs, seaweed, castor oil) will all speed healing if there was any tearing. The burritos keep for at least a week and you only have to replace them every day. **This was something I learned from the licensed MW I assisted - she was incredibly naturally-minded and didn't suture 2nd degree or 1st degree tears unless they wanted her to - never had any trouble with any odd or unhealed perineums.
~Julie

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

Old 07-08-2006, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthFree
I'm making an afterbirth tincture so that in case I have afterbirth pains (I never have thus far... but this is baby #3) I can take the tincture instead of drinking the disgusting-tasting tea.

I am also going to uncover my hemmy-pillow (for those pushing-hemmys I get and in case I tear for the third time). It makes sitting bearable for the first few days for me.
What's a hemmy pillow?: And what kind of tincture relieves afterbirth pains?

SAHM to DS(11), DD(9), DD(7), DD(5), angel.gif loss(28wks 12/31/10), and DD (2); wife to DH since 1998
Old 07-08-2006, 09:52 AM

I've never had any big tears or after pains, but I did have an internal skid mark after my first birth which took two weeks to stop stinging while peeing; the only things that worked were peeing with my head between my knees so that the urine never went back that direction, or peeing in the shower. I also rinsed the area with saline solution a few times a day. But the topical numbing creme that I got a prescription for actually stung the worst! So just time, patience, and resting with my leg together was really all that helped.
Otherwise, just lots of water and good iron-rich food.
My midwife always recommends the homepathic remedy arnica for a few days after birth.
I think it will be nice to be able to go outside with baby this time. I've never had a newborn when the weather wasn't cold! Just sitting in the sunshine and fresh air will be great.

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :

User Tag List