Fears? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 07-09-2006, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anybody have any fears or concerns? about labor? birth?

I never worried about these things with my first two, but for some reason I am now:

- I am concerned about baby not being in a good position for birth.

- And I'm just dying to get to 36 weeks so I don't have to consider going to the hospital.

- And I'm worried about being so sick and getting no exercise that I won't have the same strength to birth as I have previously.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 42 Old 07-09-2006, 03:31 PM

I'm worried that I'll have all kinds of bad stuff happen like with dd's birth. (Although, I'm doing as much as I can to prevent any of it from happening again.)

I'm afraid of baby's position too. My dr keeps saying she can't tell where he's at either which doesn't reassure me at all.

I'm worried about being in a little better shape for the birth. I get winded walking up the stairs, how am I going to handle birth? But I'm supposed to be sitting and doing nothing so I can't really work out or even go for walks.
#3 of 42 Old 07-09-2006, 04:37 PM

I was just thinking about this today. I have hit a point of lethargy that makes me worry about the energy for birth aspect, but somehow it all worked out last time. I feel less fearful that I did last time.

More later, DS wants toread a book!
#4 of 42 Old 07-09-2006, 06:10 PM

I'm homebirthing, and my biggest fear is having to go to the hospital for some reason. I know that if I do go it's necessary, and that interventions are necessary at that point, but I'm definitely afraid of the side effects and risks of things like epidural, c-sections, etc.

I'm afraid that my chiropractic problems will cause me a lot of pain during labor.
I've been really working on these but they still flare up when I'm a few days out from an adjustment or I sleep wrong.

I'm afraid of running out of energy, too. I'm pretty energetic and active, but I do so love me a big long nap in the middle of the day.
#5 of 42 Old 07-09-2006, 07:45 PM

Are you kidding?
I am terrified.
I am so anxious for my baby to come, I feel like I can't stand one more minute of being huge and lumbery (and I have to wait until the END of August!!) and yet I am terrified of the whole birthing expearience, because I've never done it. I'm scared of my bb's low-lying placenta messing things up, I'm scared of not being mentally strong enough to go drug-free like I want to, I'm scared that there's going to be something wrong with him (even though of course I would love him unconditionally, I already do). And yet, I am SO EXCITED for this whole pregnancy thing to be over and to have my babe in my arms I can hardly stand the wait.
#6 of 42 Old 07-09-2006, 10:37 PM

You know, after my total freak out a couple of weeks ago, I was doing really well until yesterday. For the past couple of days I've had contractions that are a little painful. Now, this is baby 4, and I KNOW they're completely nothing to worry about. Maybe once or twice a day I'll have an uncomfortable contraction. Well, dh is leaving tomorrow morning for a week in San Francisco (business trip). I said something yesterday when I had one, and he looked at me and said, "Okay, I don't need to hear that when I am going out of the state for a week." NOW - I'm freaked out again. Argh! I'll be too scared to do anything mildly strenuous until he gets home. Sheesh.
#7 of 42 Old 07-09-2006, 11:02 PM

I haven't even told dh about having contractions yet. I'm 99% sure that they're just strong BH ones, but they are much more frequent and painful than my last pg. But I know he'd worry so until I know they're real, shhhh
#8 of 42 Old 07-09-2006, 11:19 PM

haven't posted much but decided to pop in here - my biggest fear (probably ridiculous!) is that i'll have a two day back labor. dd was a quick 3 hr homebirth, midwives got there as she was crowning....as perfect as i could possibly imagine. so of course i worry i'm going to "get it" this time, lol!
#9 of 42 Old 07-09-2006, 11:48 PM

3_angels have you considered a doula? They would really be able to help you, I'm 99% sure. It's not too late to hire someone!

What I'm afraid of... oh man... shoulder distocia (this is a bigger baby, I can feel it) esp. b/c my kids come out with their hands by their heads and that is SO much harder to push out (head/hand-shoulders/arms instead of head then shoulders then arms).

I'm also worried about labor being horribly painful and long and so bad that I can barely handle things. I have a doula and a birth tub... but I have a feeling somehow it's going to be more difficult (fast and hard, or bad baby position or long and difficult). That worries me - esp. b/c I have been so tired.

Last thing I worry about is that my sister is due 2 days before me, I really want to be her doula (badly) and I'm afraid I'll have my baby before she does and I won't be able to be her doula.
~Julie

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#10 of 42 Old 07-09-2006, 11:49 PM

I hadn't had any real fears, other that figuring out who should/could care for my DD (22 months) while DH and I are in the hospital. I think I've got that resolved, so it all should be clear sailing, right?

DH "discovered" the other day that I'm even more set against an epidural than I was before DD's birth, and he's both surprised and unhappy. We've only talked about it a little, but he's of the opinion that a) the epidural let me sleep through the worst (pitocin) contrax, but he watched them on the monitor and he doesn't think I could have withstood them, and b) I was very uncooperative when it came to his coping suggestions last time, and if I'm going to be that "difficult" again, I might as well get the drugs early and save us both some grief.

Ai yi yi, do we have some talking ahead of us! :
#11 of 42 Old 07-10-2006, 01:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh, KC, we had THAT talk, too. I wound up a little pissy at the end, but luckily he was respectful. He still doesn't understand, really.

I hired a HB midwife this pregnancy, (my first appointment with her is on Wednesday!) so luckily that's off the table anyway. DH really likes the epidural, though. lol.

I was "difficult" during my pit contrax, too. But dammit, they sucked SO bad, and he was NOT a professional labor coach. If I had to birth again in a hospital, I'd hire a doula. I swear men aren't cut out for the task. :

My fear: my grandma is coming up to visit for the birth, mostly to take care of my older son. I my grandma, but she's a retired nurse, and I am a little afraid she's going to interfere in the birth. Not maliciously, of course-- she is the sweetest woman on earth-- but her ideas about birth are VERY outdated and "medical."

I will have her leave the room if need be, but I am so afraid of hurting her feelings.
#12 of 42 Old 07-10-2006, 02:12 AM

How about asking your Grandma to take DS to the park and then take a cell phone - you'll call if you need (ie. want) them back for the baby's arrival or if things are getting 'exciting', but otherwise you wouldn't worry about her.

Other thing... I tell my doula clients to be sure that everyone that is going to be in the room/house knows that if we ask them to leave (or like if I'm asked by the couple to leave) no one gets their feelings hurt - but labor can be unpredictable and sometimes there is the "perfect" combination and like recipes for eating - it works best that particular way.

#13 of 42 Old 07-10-2006, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyferrettoes
My fear: my grandma is coming up to visit for the birth, mostly to take care of my older son. I my grandma, but she's a retired nurse, and I am a little afraid she's going to interfere in the birth. Not maliciously, of course-- she is the sweetest woman on earth-- but her ideas about birth are VERY outdated and "medical."

I will have her leave the room if need be, but I am so afraid of hurting her feelings.
This is my newest fear, because my mother is moving 1/4 mile away from us (instead of 3 1/2 hours away). Originally it wasn't going to be until the middle of August. But she's finished her chemo and feeling okay, and the seller is ready to close as soon as he returns from vacation, so she's closing on the condo on August 4th instead, and I'd really like to have had this baby by then because I DO NOT want my mother around if I go into labor. I'm guessing my body won't even let me go into labor if she's nearby, but I've told my midwife and husband that if she's there she needs to be given a long errand or in some way told to leave. Everybody gets along with her very well, but I can only deal with her briefly, and we do not have the kind of relationship that I want her there for a birth.

Glittergal - I felt the same way before my second birth. I felt things couldn't possibly go so well again. But it ended up faster and easier, so now I think I'm REALLY due for some trouble, LOL.

Birthfree - I'm kind of worried about shoulder dystocia too, though I don't know why. Maybe just because I feel so big? This is my third too, and my boys did have huge heads and shoulders, but they came out just fine. I guess what really scares me is having a breech birth and the head getting stuck. My husband wears an XXXL hat size, and both the midwives and pediatrician did a double-take after measuring A.J.'s head because they could not believe how big it was. And he had his hand by his face during birth too. I just don't know if it would've come out "backwards".

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#14 of 42 Old 07-10-2006, 01:07 PM

I had a lot of fears with my ds, c-section, episiotomy, bad positioning, etc. This time though, my biggest concern has been about positioning and this babe is still head down, so I'm hoping at 35w5d, that I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Other concerns I have, I just about making sure that my dr respects my wishes, avoiding pit this time, etc.

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#15 of 42 Old 07-10-2006, 01:48 PM

I'm planning a homebirth too, so I am worried about all the things that could happen to prevent this from happening. Also, I am worried about not being able to get this baby out -- my mom had a CS with me and a homebirth VBAC with my brother -- she was in labor with him for 5 days (my MW would not allow this to happen!). But mainly, I am worried that I am going to shoot out too much adrenaline and it is going to put the brakes on my labor big time... so I guess my biggest fear is fear itself, LOL
#16 of 42 Old 07-10-2006, 02:38 PM

BonanzaJellybean maybe ask your MW about homeopathics for labor to help with anxiety? I know of 3 that my MW friend carries that can help (I bought one of them for myself for anxiety simply b/c of the fears I'm talking about right now... if they start to impeed my labor I'm going to take it.

Krista, I've got big headed babies too (and a big headed DH), so I understand your concern. It's nuts... worrying about all this stuff... I suppose we should just take care of what WE can take care of and then pray, meditate or what not about the rest.

#17 of 42 Old 07-10-2006, 02:59 PM

Mainly I am worried about having a VBAC, I know I can do it, but the worry that something will go wrong is always there. I am 45 minutes from the hospital so either I go early and risk interventions or stay home and risk *if* something goes wrong not getting to the hospital fast enough sigh...

tara
#18 of 42 Old 07-10-2006, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthFree
3_angels have you considered a doula? They would really be able to help you, I'm 99% sure. It's not too late to hire someone!
Does anyone know how much it costs to hire a doula? And how to go about finding one in Columbus, Ohio? (Not the most natural-minded of cities to say the least..)
#19 of 42 Old 07-10-2006, 04:56 PM

3 angels you can check here for a doula.

http://providers.mothering.com/

I have found that the more pregnancies I have the more fear/concerns I have. With my last pregnancy I discovered that I could overcome my fear of breech birth. Dh and I prepared, researched and found a midwife willing to help and learned so much. I still have fears but I am better able to manage and direct them. I highly recommend Birthing from Within by Pam England,
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/096...lance&n=283155

Best wishes for all of our birthing experiences!
Sarah
#20 of 42 Old 07-10-2006, 05:44 PM

The strange thing is that I'm totally and completely fine with the labor and delivery part. I'm still relatively comfortable so don't have any "just want this over" feelings with the pregnancy and am overall in a good place emotionally.

What I am concerned (read: scared to death of) is bringing the Peanut home. I've never babysat, never changed a diaper. I'm reading but book knowledge isn't the same as experience. And my mother is going to stay with us for a few days.

Plus there's this little voice saying, "they are actually going to trust me with a baby?!?!??!"

Completely irrational but it is still there. :

FWIW, I'm due 08/16.
#21 of 42 Old 07-10-2006, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_angels
Does anyone know how much it costs to hire a doula? And how to go about finding one in Columbus, Ohio? (Not the most natural-minded of cities to say the least..)
Try www.bellywomen.net it is a website for free/low cost doulas. I found 1 about an hour away from us. She was willing to come this far too. She only charges $300 but for us that was still too much.

Hope you have better luck.
#22 of 42 Old 07-10-2006, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthFree
How about asking your Grandma to take DS to the park and then take a cell phone - you'll call if you need (ie. want) them back for the baby's arrival or if things are getting 'exciting', but otherwise you wouldn't worry about her.
Yeah, that'd be a good way to approach it.

My granddad is coming up, too, so I don't know if she has it in her head that HE will handle DS while SHE helps with the birth, or whether she really does have the idea of taking care of DS during the birth.

I do know she's very anxious about the idea of me having a HB. And anxiety is never a good presence at any birth, especially one happening at home.

I guess we need to talk about this beforehand. lol. Usually I am so blase about the possibility of hurting people's feelings, but my grandma is a different story, somehow.
#23 of 42 Old 07-10-2006, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyferrettoes
Yeah, that'd be a good way to approach it.

My granddad is coming up, too, so I don't know if she has it in her head that HE will handle DS while SHE helps with the birth, or whether she really does have the idea of taking care of DS during the birth.

I do know she's very anxious about the idea of me having a HB. And anxiety is never a good presence at any birth, especially one happening at home.

I guess we need to talk about this beforehand. lol. Usually I am so blase about the possibility of hurting people's feelings, but my grandma is a different story, somehow.
Yes mama, you've got to talk to her. Definitely don't want anxiety looming in the house while you are laboring. Maybe you could plan out a day for her to keep ds busy outside the house - park, swimming, lunch out, children's museum - whatever would keep them busy but able to drop if you needed them home ASAP.

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#24 of 42 Old 07-10-2006, 07:51 PM

Man I'm scared about everything.

I'm scared I'll go into labor at a bad time and it will severly mess up my good grades.

I'm scared of puking during labor (I'm an emetaphobic).

I'm scared that I'll feel more tense at home than I did at a hospital (for various goofy reasons, I'm not scared of homebirth though).

I'm scared that I'll end up needing to transfer to the hospital. Last time it was a two minute drive to the hospital and I did it at 4 cms. That was the worse two minutes of the whole birth! I can't imagine being in a car during transition or something knowing that something is wrong (plus the drive is now 15+ minutes).

I'm scared my husband will be a jerk during labor like last time because he's terrified of losing me during labor and he doesn't know how to handle his emotions like a grown up.

I'm also a bit worried about how my emotional state is going to be after I give the baby to her new family. Post partum hormones can make me a nut.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#25 of 42 Old 07-10-2006, 11:14 PM

I'm with ChristyMarie...I'm doing OK with the preggers thing (it's my first) and feel pretty comfortable with labor (though I am a little nervous that I'll be embarassed during birth - poopin' the bed and all - but I'm trying to get over that...)

But I am a little nervous about after the baby comes home. I mean, labor only lasts a limited time, but now I'm responsible for a baby FOREVER!!?? Kinda freaks me out a bit...

--k
#26 of 42 Old 07-11-2006, 12:32 AM

Birthing from Within IS a great book- one of my favs since someone mentioned it.
I am mainly afraid I will have to be moved to the hospital AND have a C-section.
Aside from that I am afraid that I will WANT to move to the hospital because the pain will be SO much worse than anticipated and maybe I am a nut for wanting a home birth when I have NO idea what to expect from labor.
I am afraid that there will be people in my house (ie mom, 2 sisters, best friend and SIL) and I won't want them there when push comes to shove- no pun intended: but I won't know how to get rid of them and their presence will inhibit my labor.
I am afraid after this evening that my husband won't be a stable labor assistant since I had a severe back pain during our evening walk (which is unheard of for me since I never have back pain) and I said I was going right inside to do cat stretches because I was in excruciating pain and he just got on the computer to play a game right away and never even friggen checked on me...not that inspiring of confidence. What if I go into early labor and he blows it off like that? Cause I WILL kill him.
All other fears are secondary to this.
#27 of 42 Old 07-11-2006, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_angels
Does anyone know how much it costs to hire a doula? And how to go about finding one in Columbus, Ohio? (Not the most natural-minded of cities to say the least...
Also look at dona.org - they have a list of certified and those working on becoming certified doulas in your area. When I was working on it (well, oficially I'm still not certified, but I'm way over the births I need... just changed my mind kind of), I did births for free. Then when I got way more than enough births I charged $50 for a while - now that I've been a doula for a while I charge $300 but if someone can't pay that, I can work out a payment schedule or barter for something else, or just bless them. Where there's a will there's a way!

Ask at your local Le Leche League, your childbirth educators, call any local homebirth midwives and ask if they know of doulas in the area - I'm sure you have some... I live in conservative ville (ESP. in birth, our cesarean rate is about 50% in some of our hospitals and our local induction rate is statistically 90% (how sick is that?)) and we have lots of doulas.
~Julie

#28 of 42 Old 07-11-2006, 11:06 AM

I found a really nice doula last night online (I called her right away) but she costs $450. Is that normal? She's really sweet and I really want to hire her but now I have to convince my fiance that I absolutely have to hire her!
#29 of 42 Old 07-11-2006, 12:34 PM

Doula costs: in my area the average is about $700-900 but I'm right outside of Chicago in a pretty pricey area. However we found someone who was just starting out, didn't have many births completed so we got her for $450. Call around and try to find someone just starting out - you never know what you can negotiate.

And for the record, we interviewed her as well as a more experienced person and really truly preferred the newer one.
#30 of 42 Old 07-11-2006, 06:00 PM

My number one fear is that our babe will be born on DP's mother's birthday. It sounds silly, and I haven't yet been able to explain why it terrifies me so much, but there you have it. She's an intensely narcissistic person, and already seems to be viewing this baby as her grandchild without recognizing that hey, it's *our* child, not to mention a person in his/her own right! If that makes any sense. I'm afraid that if the baby is born on her birthday she will use that to make the birth of my child even more about her than she already will. I wish I had the right words to explain it! And because of all of this, I'm afraid that if I do go into labor around that day, that my body will lock up and I reallllly don't want to get started with any interventions.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page