Sigh...don't call your doc unless you are sure you want to go in - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 07-10-2006, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Couldn't think of a shorter title...

I'm having rib pain on both sides, moderately severe and pretty much constant for days now. It's now radiating into my upper back as well and is very uncomfortable.

So I called the doctor just to be sure it was nothing, and in the hopes that he would have some advice (he's very crunchy and is great about advice on natural remedies for aches and pains.)

He wants to see me today, in two hours. Sigh...that's not what I wanted to hear, I wanted to hear it's no big deal! Baby is moving just fine, I just took my bp and it's 107/85 (we have a machine in our building) and it just *feels* like muscular pain. Baby is very high, I have a feeling my ribs are just trying to spread. So now I get to go to the doctor for something I'm pretty convinced is no big deal, and I feel stupid leaving work *again* for an appointment.

Sigh...

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!
#2 of 15 Old 07-10-2006, 01:13 PM

Oh rebeccalizzie - I'm sorry! I know what you mean though - I work in my dr's office and because this babe is so quiet, there have been a few times that I've asked the nurse to check heart tones. (2x, I guess). So, after the last time, she told me that he's moving and I just don't feel it, that she remembers being worried like this with both of her pregnancies, etc : So, now I just don't ask if I'm worried. I poke around until he gets irritated.

Anyway, I'm sure everything is fine. Might be a good time to get a chiro adjustment if you are into that!

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#3 of 15 Old 07-10-2006, 01:39 PM

I'm sorry! I know how you feel....even though I love my ob, and he really does work with me....I hate going in!!!!!
Hope everything is ok!
#4 of 15 Old 07-10-2006, 01:41 PM

Ugh! I've been having the same feelings in my ribs too. Interesting, never thought about my ribs wanting to spread, but that makes sense. A chiropractic appt. sounds like a good idea too.

Hope he has good news - and just remember, crunchy or not, Dr's have to cover their bums.
~Julie

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#5 of 15 Old 07-10-2006, 02:01 PM

I don't want to freak you out at all, but your doc may be concerned that you are having gallbladder pains. Trust me, if you are, you WANT to know, so that you can take measures to prevent them. I won't go into my experiences now because I don't want to make you feel worse, BUT if it does happen to be gallbladder, let me know, and I'll be glad to share the things that worked for me. Good luck. I hope it's just normal pregnancy pain.
#6 of 15 Old 07-10-2006, 02:46 PM

Oh poppy cock! I used to get that in my other pregnancies... (started with rib pain then it would radiate into my back andreally ache)... ya know what I figured out? I needed to go up a bra size...crazy right? Only took me three pregancies. I hope it happens to be something as simple as that.

Tricia

momma to 7
:
#7 of 15 Old 07-10-2006, 02:58 PM

Not in your DDC but it could also be a kidney infection
#8 of 15 Old 07-10-2006, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Well...actually it *was* something. Go figure. I apparently have an inflammation of the tissues between and lining my rib cage. Right now I'm on ibuprofen, and if it gets any worse I may end up having steroid injections. My doctor and midwife both ended up seeing me and running some tests to make sure that's what it was, it's apparently kind of rare (or at least, they don't see it often--it may be more common in the general population or in men or whatever. Although I can't seem to find much on the internet)

Now of course I'm wishing I had asked more questions...that's all I know, I was kind of in shock when they told me. So I'm going to have to call the office tomorrow and ask what exactly that means. At least they weren't concerned about the baby, they checked on him, said he was fine, and didn't seem to think this would affect him much at all. But they are concerned for me, and that's a little worrying in and of itself!

#9 of 15 Old 07-10-2006, 08:16 PM

Aww...take it easy for the next few days. I hope you feel better soon!
#10 of 15 Old 07-11-2006, 01:17 AM

Hmmm... can you tell me more about how it feels/felt? I keep feeling that way too so that's why I wonder.

Glad they're taking care of it though, are you feeling better? How does something like that show up? At least it wasn't for nothing!
~Julie

#11 of 15 Old 07-11-2006, 01:21 AM

Sounds like it's a good thing you went. Hope you're feeling better soon. Keep us updated.
#12 of 15 Old 07-11-2006, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthFree
Hmmm... can you tell me more about how it feels/felt? I keep feeling that way too so that's why I wonder.

Glad they're taking care of it though, are you feeling better? How does something like that show up? At least it wasn't for nothing!
~Julie
It's been sore at the bottom of my rib cage on the front left side for a while. Midwife thought it was just ligament pain at that point. Over the weekend, the pain spread to the entire bottom of my rib cage, all the way around. It was just really sore and tender, it hurt to bend over, and it hurt to take a deep breath.

Yes, it's a bit better, but if I don't take the ibuprofen every 4 hours like clockwork, it starts to really hurt again. So I don't think it's better yet...I just think the ibuprofen is helping with the swelling and pain.

#13 of 15 Old 07-11-2006, 04:54 PM

Yikes! Keep taking care - hope it just keeps getting better.

#14 of 15 Old 07-11-2006, 11:22 PM

I hope it gets better for you..

tara
#15 of 15 Old 07-12-2006, 01:52 AM

Sending you P&PT...

VBAC mamma of two little Vikings

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page