Did I have a BH ctx? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 07-10-2006, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK...here's a question from a clueless newbie...
so I wake up in the middle of the night with a strong menstrual cramp feeling and lower back pain...
I got up to pee, and went I went back to bed, I laid on my other side, and no more pains or cramps...

Was that a BH contraction?
It's all so new to me...maybe you experienced mamas can tell me if that's what they feel like?
#2 of 17 Old 07-10-2006, 05:28 PM

It certainly could have been.

My BH, when they first started (April? May? I can't remember), were painless and basically just felt like ... well, can you feel the walls of your uterus from the outside, when you press on your belly? Whenever I was having a BH, those muscles just got very tight and hard, like the way your bicep feels when you're flexing. Sensation-wise it just felt like tightness. Now that I'm further along, they've been getting steadily more intense - but I still wouldn't call it pain, necessarily. The pain for me is more round ligament pain and posture-induced lower back pain. And heartburn. And leg cramps. And headaches. And ... oh, never mind.
#3 of 17 Old 07-10-2006, 06:22 PM

I sometimes get that discomfort when I'm laying on my back at night, if I roll over or get up, it goes away. But, it could have been a bh contrax too. My bh ctx are a little different than what most people describe, mine feel like period cramps - down really low in my pelvis and are just a touch uncomfortable.

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#4 of 17 Old 07-10-2006, 06:57 PM

I've had a couple spells of these period cramps, thought they were BH, then my back up midwife said BH should be painless. I was kind of disappointed, because if those were practice contractions, they at least were familiar. Wouldn't mind if labor started that way. I'm going to go ahead and claim them as BH!
#5 of 17 Old 07-10-2006, 07:22 PM

My BH do not hurt, but they feel tight and slightly uncomfortable. I feel them mostly on the top and sides of my uterus and they make me feel like I need to take deep breaths. When I put my hands on my sides, I can feel that everything is noticeably harder.

Any cramping feelings I have down low are more of a cervical or round ligament ache.
#6 of 17 Old 07-10-2006, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

OK...that helps.
I have noticed the rock hard belly from time to time, painless, so I guess those are the BH ctx and maybe I was just sleeping funny last night and had some round ligament pain.
Thanks mamas!
#7 of 17 Old 07-10-2006, 08:29 PM

Is it normal to not get any BH?
#8 of 17 Old 07-10-2006, 11:35 PM

from what I have heard it is normal for people to not feel them up till the end. From what I have heard you have them basically your whole pregnancy although most people don't feel them till the end...lucky me though I felt them the whole time. Well, at least I am used to it now and I know for sure what they feel like!
#9 of 17 Old 07-11-2006, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerTwilight
from what I have heard it is normal for people to not feel them up till the end. From what I have heard you have them basically your whole pregnancy although most people don't feel them till the end...
That's what my OB said as well. I haven't felt any.
#10 of 17 Old 07-11-2006, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebemommy
I've had a couple spells of these period cramps, thought they were BH, then my back up midwife said BH should be painless. I was kind of disappointed, because if those were practice contractions, they at least were familiar. Wouldn't mind if labor started that way. I'm going to go ahead and claim them as BH!
So if they hurt are they prodromal labor? I'm so confused by all these types of contractions. All day today I've had really uncomfortable squeezing feelings. My stomach gets hard too. Sometimes they only last a few seconds, sometimes a minute or more.
#11 of 17 Old 07-11-2006, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 in August
So if they hurt are they prodromal labor?
Well, mine hurt a few weeks ago. For about 6 hours, every 3-5 minutes. But since I KNOW what labor feels like, I didn't worry about it. I just laid down, drank more water, went to bed at night, and the next day was fine again. I don't think there's a rule to these contractions. But usually first time moms don't feel as many as multiparous mothers, though even that can vary! My poor SIL still couldn't tell the difference with her 4th baby; she was at the hospital 5 times with "false labor". Plus, we all have different pain thresholds, so what might be painful for one person is merely an inconvenience for another.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#12 of 17 Old 07-11-2006, 08:46 AM

Some of mine hurt and take my breath away and others are just uncomfortable. But it depends how strong it is...either way it is a BH.
#13 of 17 Old 07-11-2006, 09:53 AM

I don't think i've had any, either, although almost every night, I wake up at least once with this funny, tight, breathless feeling in my belly. It's kinduva "stop and quiver" feeling, like when a deer catches sight of you in the forest and suddenly stops. Could that be them? It doesn't hurt so much as takes my breath away and wakes me up. And right after I wake up, the baby usually thumps me a few times reassuringly. "All's well in here, mama!"

So strange!
#14 of 17 Old 07-11-2006, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf
Well, mine hurt a few weeks ago. For about 6 hours, every 3-5 minutes. But since I KNOW what labor feels like, I didn't worry about it. I just laid down, drank more water, went to bed at night, and the next day was fine again. I don't think there's a rule to these contractions. But usually first time moms don't feel as many as multiparous mothers, though even that can vary! My poor SIL still couldn't tell the difference with her 4th baby; she was at the hospital 5 times with "false labor". Plus, we all have different pain thresholds, so what might be painful for one person is merely an inconvenience for another.
Even though I should know, I don't. I barely felt BH with my dd. When I was in labor it was a cytotec/pitocin h*ll. So I have no idea what a real, natural contraction feels like. I know that some of these are just pressure and some really hurt. I figure when I really go into labor I'll know it. It's really strange how different this pg is.
#15 of 17 Old 07-11-2006, 06:04 PM

I think I just had my first (noticeable) BH contraction. It didn't hurt, but my belly tightened up on its own and got hard for about 45 seconds. In a way, it was kinda cool. I'd never really been aware of my uterus before.
#16 of 17 Old 07-11-2006, 08:39 PM

I have period-like cramps (painful and uncomfortable) when I over-excert myself. I wonder what those could be. I hope they're not bad.
#17 of 17 Old 07-12-2006, 03:09 PM

From what I've read/heard/learned, period like cramping or pains are normal, and are most of the time okay unless they're accompanied by bleeding. But there is a difference between these types of pains and braxton hicks. Every cramping or belly pain isn't necessarily braxton hicks. It's just, well, cramping or pain.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page