First outfit? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 07-11-2006, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
stealing this from the July DDC...

Do you have a first outfit chosen for your baby?

I know better than to choose a footed outfit that won't fit my giant babies now. I have a light green lightweight sack-style outfit chosen with little koalas and other animals on it. I've got a few similarly colored beanie hats for right after birth. And the dragon diapers from the last swap.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 07-11-2006, 10:57 AM

I have an organic cotton onsie with bumble bees on it, but now that everyone has told me they HATE those at first because of the umbillical cord, I'm going to have to find a little tee instead. Too bad, the onsie is adorable!:
#3 of 21 Old 07-11-2006, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_angels
I have an organic cotton onsie with bumble bees on it, but now that everyone has told me they HATE those at first because of the umbillical cord, I'm going to have to find a little tee instead. Too bad, the onsie is adorable!:
My first two babies wore onesies under an outer outfit (they were born in Oct and Jan), and I loved them. I wouldn't worry about it except on really hot days if you don't have a/c, (since it generally heals quicker when exposed to the air). I'd think a onesie would be fine! It just might get a little dirty or stained from the cord oozing or bleeding a bit which is normal.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#4 of 21 Old 07-11-2006, 11:58 AM

Also, my midwives mentioned that you can leave the onsie un-snapped @ the crotch to make it a little more t-shirt like & easier on the cord.
#5 of 21 Old 07-11-2006, 12:41 PM

I saw a really cute big/little brother set on target.com but it got bad reviews for sizing...

I was there yesterday and they had an outfit on clearance.
It was made by Carters and had little airplanes and said "thank heaven for little boys" a onesie, pants and a hat. It was only $2.50 so i got it.

Hey I am frugal!
#6 of 21 Old 07-11-2006, 12:51 PM

I need to start thinking about these kinds of things. I wonder if I should use it as an excuse to go buy a new outfit. I do so love shopping.
#7 of 21 Old 07-11-2006, 01:45 PM

Yeah, I was wondering about this. In my stack of 0-3 month clothes, there is an alarming variety of size. Should I just pack a few onesies and dipes of different sizes and hope we can find something that fits?
It's good to know about the umbilical cord issue...that's something that didn't even cross my mind.

I guess if nothing we bring fits, we can wrap baby in a blankie for the ride home, right?
#8 of 21 Old 07-11-2006, 03:16 PM

I'll put baby in freshly washed new cloth diaper (haven't quite decided which ones I am going with yet, leaning towards Soft Bums) and that might be it depending on the temperature in our house (moving to a new home so we don't know what the temps are like in August in it). If it's slightly cool, I have a cute onesie with a monkey or an orange/cream striped Old Navy onesie. For my last babe I had long nightgowns with elastic around the bottom and I loved those. They were SO easy for diaper changes. Likely I will pick some up this time round as well.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#9 of 21 Old 07-11-2006, 03:20 PM

What is the deal with the umbilical cord?

Can you put the babe in a gown? Or does it need to be a tee and bottoms?
#10 of 21 Old 07-11-2006, 03:46 PM

I bought a sweet little romper outfit for my little girl. It's white with pink trim and has pink flowers on each side, and also a matching little hat. She'll also have a sweater set that was mine when I was a baby to wear if I feel that it's too cool in the car.
#11 of 21 Old 07-11-2006, 03:57 PM

My mom just got a sweet little Pooh Bear outfit, I love it & it's 2 pc. But, it also has long sleeves and feet which could be way too warm. So I think I'll also bring a cute little tee or onsie just in case. Dd came home in just a onsie, but she was so little that we had to wrap her in a blanket to help her fit in the car seat.
#12 of 21 Old 07-11-2006, 06:39 PM

I am getting in on Ursula's question cause I was wondering the same thing. I am having a home birth so the "first outfit" isn't for the ride home, just for the first day...does it have to be a tee (like those five button snap shirts) with pants or can I pick a sleep gown/pj?
#13 of 21 Old 07-11-2006, 06:54 PM

I never let the U-cord deter me from putting on a onsie or whatever. THe looser the better but everythign is loose on a 7 lb little sweetie

And gowns are totally fine. If you leave the cord alone, it should fall off in a couple days anyways and having soft matterial rubbing up against it will only help the cause. Just my opinion
#14 of 21 Old 07-11-2006, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerTwilight
I am getting in on Ursula's question cause I was wondering the same thing. I am having a home birth so the "first outfit" isn't for the ride home, just for the first day...does it have to be a tee (like those five button snap shirts) with pants or can I pick a sleep gown/pj?
My first wore a snap up sleeper for her first outfit and gowns or sleepers after that (all 100% cotton). I didn't find any of the outfits bothered her belly button.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#15 of 21 Old 07-11-2006, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursula Rose
What is the deal with the umbilical cord?

Can you put the babe in a gown? Or does it need to be a tee and bottoms?
I've heard sometimes tight things on umbillical cords (like onsies stretched tight across the belly) can bother a newbie, but it sounds like it depends on the baby. I think a lot of people are using gowns for the first outfit.

Have any of you heard of "Under the Nile" baby clothes? A hundred percent unbleached organic cotton and Oh-SO-CUTE!!
#16 of 21 Old 07-11-2006, 10:12 PM

I figure since it'll be the end of August, a regular old prefold should make a mighty fine first outfit!

Under the Nile clothes are deliciously cute. I have to admit that I found mine to get quite pilly after only a couple of washes (and this is in a front loader). They haven't broken down worse than that, but I was a little disappointed that they started looking worn so soon.
#17 of 21 Old 07-12-2006, 12:09 AM

I have chosen a sage green outfit for my little one... The onesie is a new one that my mom picked up with little bugs on the front, and I paired it with a pair of little green pants and top that I picked up at a garage sale (blush). I just washed everything, and for some reason I really wanted to bring something more gender neutral to the hospital this time-there is some very small part of me that thinks my US was wrong and 'Elvis' is actually 'Lisa Marie'. I guess we'll see soon enough....
#18 of 21 Old 07-12-2006, 12:18 AM

I've got a few things in the birthing supply baskets, but am thinking I will use the same elastic bottom gown my daughter wore, just a soft yellow. I even found the hats we plopped on her after birth and receiving blankets, so I thought it'd be nice to use the same...
#19 of 21 Old 07-12-2006, 01:09 AM

I have a teeny little one piece outfit in all cotton. It is blue with cream short sleeves and a cream cuff to the longer pants (to size it. It has bears embroidered on two front pockets with velour ears. There is a small snail embroidered on the bum. It has a sweet cream sailor style collar with snails in the garden embrodered across the back. There is a hat to match with a bear face on it. I know it sounds busy, but really it isn't and it is very soft...
#20 of 21 Old 07-12-2006, 02:28 AM

Ah man! One more thing on my list that I haven't gotten to. LOL I GOTTA get on the ball...

VBAC mamma of two little Vikings
#21 of 21 Old 07-12-2006, 02:31 AM

I did the whole first outfit thing with my daughter...she was swimming in what I chose, it didn't fit well until 3 months!! This time we're going with wool shorts (or capris...haven't decided) that I knit and a t shirt (but of course I don't know which one).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page