Hospital bags packed? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 07-12-2006, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else slowly getting around to packing your bags for the hospital?

I've started my list, but I know I'm missing some things here:

1. nightgown
2. outfits for babe (2 gowns for hospital and one going-home outfit)
3. extra wipes and dipes for babe
4. mama pads
5. toiletries (soap, makeup, shampoo, hair dryer, curling iron, toothpaste/brush, hair brush)
6. my going home outfit
7. slippers for walking around
8. massage oil and lavendar essential oil
9. pb crackers/juice
10. ibuprofen for post-partum

Am I missing anything here? I don't want to overpack, but I also don't want to pay $11 for an ibuprofen.

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 07-12-2006, 04:28 PM

Some of those things on your list they will provide. They will give you ibuprofen if you want it (after childbirth it is the BEST!), and unless you're cloth diapering, they will provide diapers and wipes, though since you listed that I assume you are CDing. They also provide mama pads, nice big ones, take the extras home with you when you go. They kept DD dressed when I was there with her, they had these little shirts, and she was wrapped in blankets and had little hats, all from them. I stayed in the johnnies the whole time, figured why bleed on my own clothes? Bring a boppy too if you plan to use one.

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#3 of 15 Old 07-12-2006, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobyfeeder
Some of those things on your list they will provide. They will give you ibuprofen if you want it (after childbirth it is the BEST!), and unless you're cloth diapering, they will provide diapers and wipes, though since you listed that I assume you are CDing. They also provide mama pads, nice big ones, take the extras home with you when you go. They kept DD dressed when I was there with her, they had these little shirts, and she was wrapped in blankets and had little hats, all from them. I stayed in the johnnies the whole time, figured why bleed on my own clothes? Bring a boppy too if you plan to use one.
ditto!
I liked the baby wipes the hospital provided. They were a different texture, have never seen them in the stores...

Plus everything that they had stocked us with the nurse said to take home. It was ours.
We came home with dipes, wipes, mama pads ( huge depends that i never used plus smaller ones i did ) and glass bottles of formula and a box of rubber gloves ( we were finger feeding/supplementing with SNS) plus the little hospital tshirt he had on. It is so tiny i cant believe he ever wore it!

They also gave me breast shells, an SNS and an extra SNS, any drugs i wanted ( percocet! motrin, tylenol, etc)

If you dont have insurance, not sure how all of that factors in. If it is a lump sum, or if they itemize.

They did not provide breast pads for leaks.

I also packed vitamin C drops to suck on
my favorite lotion and body spray that had coordinating candles ( couldnt burn them, but smelled them)
music
a book
dont forget your camera!
change of clothes for DH if he is getting in the tub with you ( if you use it) or just to have in case it is a long stay
your own pillow if you have a preference
your cell phone or calling card- the phone and tv in our room were a joint charge and was EXPENSIVE!
#4 of 15 Old 07-12-2006, 05:53 PM

Cell phone a good idea . . . but you may not be able to use it in the hospital. Some hospitals have areas that off limits, some are completely off limits to cell phone use once you step through the door. You could probably call ahead and check with them. (Our phone charge was $2 just to use the phone, then we used a calling card for all calls.)

I haven't even come close to packing a bag. I have a feeling I'll be throwing stuff in a bag once I'm in labor because I will have either forgotten to pack or will have not gotten to it yet! This time is so different for me. The last two times I was induced, so I packed my bag the night before and was all set. I'm having a hard time remembering that I probably should do things ahead of time since we don't know when I'll go into labor!

Jen, mom of R (9), T (7), C (5), and E (2) ... my stillheart.gifs

#5 of 15 Old 07-12-2006, 07:42 PM

i plan to give birth at home, but i just stacked my birth stuff near a bag (just in case i have to transfer)!!!!!!

i'm getting antzy.

the only things left on my to do lists are things i don't like doing. boo hoo.
#6 of 15 Old 07-13-2006, 07:59 PM

remember your lysol wipes or other disinfectant. hospitals are full of germs!!!
#7 of 15 Old 07-13-2006, 08:38 PM

I made a list, but I haven't started packing yet. Last time I just wore sandals to the hospital and kept them by the bed. They seemed better to me since I wear them outside and I didn't want germs on my cushie slippers.
#8 of 15 Old 07-13-2006, 08:55 PM

Jumping in from the July DDC since this is also something on my mind as I am due close to you guys, July 30. My Dh was in the hospital a few weeks ago & I used the bathroom & had a thought: bring your own toilet paper! Hospital toilet paper is not always the best quality & since there is a lot of blood to wipe away the first day or so & the area is very sensitive, it is a good idea to get some comfy toilet paper. Also, something I am doing this time around is bringing a package of the flushable wet wipes that most TP companies are making nowadays to make things a little cleaner. Also, I am bringing a box of the baby disposable wash cloths that have the soap in them. I don't know about the rest of you, but I always felt dirty after giving birth with all the bodily fluids all over the place & didn't want to use the hospital shower. Also, if you end up having a c/s (I had one last time), you are not allowed to shower right away so the washcloths are a good way to get clean & smell nice. I'll go back into lurkdom now!
#9 of 15 Old 07-24-2006, 11:21 AM

Yup, I packed my bag this weekend. It cracks me up how in all the magazines, they have the story on "what to take to the hospital", and it's this gorgeous $300 bag packed with brand new pj's and makeup and luxury items and a Blackberry... and i've got this ratty old backpack from college stuffed with all my old, boring crap. Like I need to show off at the hospital or buy a new bag to impress the nurses! I have a few things on my shopping list tonight (such as a 2nd deoderant to pack), and I need to put together my phone list, and I have to choose a going home outfit that won't irritate the little stumper, but otherwise... I guess we're ready!
#10 of 15 Old 07-24-2006, 12:01 PM

Toilet paper!! Last time I gave birth, the hospital didn't provide tp on the labor floor...something about germs, so you were only given those tiny boxes of individual tissues. Ugh. And shower shoes. I'm doing my bag shopping today to get the last few things and then I"ll throw it all together.
#11 of 15 Old 07-24-2006, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, so I took a bunch of stuff OUT of my hospital bag and I think I'm ready with exception of the last minute things (toiletries). I'll make a list of that stuff so I don't forget anything.

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#12 of 15 Old 07-24-2006, 08:24 PM

Our hospital has a TV and VCR, so I took a movie with me last time. That's another thing to take, if your hospital has the TV/VCR.
#13 of 15 Old 07-24-2006, 10:28 PM

Socks! Nice, big, comfy socks!
#14 of 15 Old 07-24-2006, 11:34 PM

You may not want to bring slippers. I was told not to because of the germs that are typically on a hospital floor...so you cruise around the hospital during your stay and then take them home and transfer the germs. I was prepared to bring some slippers myself but the nurse on our tour suggested otherwise...I never would have thought about that.
#15 of 15 Old 07-24-2006, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_chick
Also, I am bringing a box of the baby disposable wash cloths that have the soap in them. I don't know about the rest of you, but I always felt dirty after giving birth with all the bodily fluids all over the place & didn't want to use the hospital shower. Also, if you end up having a c/s (I had one last time), you are not allowed to shower right away so the washcloths are a good way to get clean & smell nice.
I have worked in 2 hospitals & both stock wipes like these made for this purpose (instead of a "sponge bath"). The nurse should either help you shower w/in a couple of hours of giving birth or give you a sponge bath if you're unable or had a c-section. A shower or sponge bath daily should be hospital protocol.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page