Blood pressure question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-12-2006, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I just got back from my midwife appointment. BTW - I'm measuring back where I should be, so last time must have been a fluke! Anyway, my blood pressure was 108 over 54. I constantly run a low blood pressure - my highest was 117 over 68 I think. My midwife mentioned that she doesn't like to she her patient's bp drop below 100 over 50. (I JOKINGLY mentioned that I could invite MIL back if she needed to raise my blood pressure! ) I got to thinking about bp in the car after the appointment. I've had times where I've felt really weird - kind of fluttery, really need to eat or drink or lie down - or all three - just an overall funky weirdness. It's not a pleasant feeling at all. I've always chalked it up to the "pg blood sugar" thing - you know, "gotta eat RIGHT NOW" kind of feeling. But, I'm wondering if maybe I've had dips in my bp that could account for it. I really don't know too much about bp issues though, so I thought I'd throw it out here and see if you mamas had some info for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2006, 08:25 PM

I'd be interested to learn more about blood pressure too. Mine is always low during pregnancy, and I get dizzy/lightheaded too, even though my iron is fine. My father always had low blood presser, as does my husband and his mother (to the point where they have been instructed by doctors to increase their salt intake--something you rarely hear a doctor say, LOL).
But if I want a high reading (and I mean high), all I have to do is step foot in a doctor's office or hospital as a patient. If I'm not the patient, I'm fine though.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 07-12-2006, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

You know, the salt thing is a good point. I just read yesterday that a woman's RDA of salt increases during pregnancy. I eat a very low salt diet as a general rule. Many times during pg I crave salt. I've always chalked it up to needing more water. I wonder if I need to add a bit more salt.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:52 PM

I always chow down some salty crackers or something with soy sauce and feel better within the hour, so I know it really helps me. My midwife always says not to skimp on the salt during pregnancy. I'm not normally one to salt my food, but I eat plenty when pregnant.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 07-12-2006, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I should try that. I mean it's not like I try to avoid salt - I just eat a really healthy diet - don't cook with salt, etc. I know I'm not iron deficient - at all. I've had my levels checked twice in this pg, and they're fine. I think I'll keep the sea salt handy!!!
Old 07-13-2006, 05:05 PM

[QUOTE=ColoradoMama] I've had times where I've felt really weird - kind of fluttery, really need to eat or drink or lie down - QUOTE]

I have VERY low blood pressure 90/50 usually, and I know the exact feeling you're talking about. Sometimes I even get little heart palpatations. My OB says that I am okay and it's the HIGH bp you have to worry about.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:33 PM

Mine has been 90/60 a few times and when I was having lightheadedness, etc - the dr told me to get up (I have a desk job) and walk briskly through the office to raise it.

The salt recommendation is another good point. I follow the Bradley diet loosely and salt is the one thing it says not to skimp on. So, during pregnancy, I usually salt things that I typically wouldn't.

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.

User Tag List