ordered my birth supplies - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-12-2006, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Now I'm excited. I ordered my birth kit, plus cord care, a "born at home" onesie, a home - birth certificate, and an ink pad for doing footprints! I can't wait for it to get here! I was kind of bummed because I was going to order a sling today, but the company that I was going to buy it from is giving part of their proceeds this month to a charity that I do not want to support. I was bummed, but now I'm all excited. I can't wait for my kit to get here!
#2 of 13 Old 07-12-2006, 11:56 PM

Yay!

Are you doing a UC, or planning to have a midwife?

My first midwife appointment was today-- I'm really really excited about the upcoming birth, for the first time in my life. With DS, I couldn't seem to get myself to care about how he got out, YK?
#3 of 13 Old 07-13-2006, 02:48 AM

I just got my birth kit last week! It's so much fun! I am ready to go whenever this baby gets here via midwife or DH! I totally know the excitement of having the kit here & ready.
#4 of 13 Old 07-13-2006, 08:36 AM

I'm planning to organize my supplies today, since I'm now 35 weeks and would probably stay home at this point unless there was obviously a problem. I'm always amazed at how little I need to get, compared to all the "stuff" they use at hospitals.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#5 of 13 Old 07-13-2006, 10:03 AM

that's great colorado! doesn't it feel good to have this step done?

I started gathering my stuff last week, after making a false start at the drug store a few weeks ago (I stood staring at the depends and giant maxi pads and just couldn't bring myself to buy anything!)

I was more successful on Saturday and have about half my stuff now...just need to stop by the natural health store for the rest.

--k
#6 of 13 Old 07-13-2006, 10:22 AM

Wow! Ink pad! I totally forgot about that! Did you get a specific kind? Jay has our other daughters newborn footprints tattooed onto his forearm, and we definitely want Luna's newborn footprint to be on there too.

My midwife brings most of the birthing supplies, but I have set up our spare room with a basket that has my tinctures, homeopathics, some wipes and a squirt bottle with oilve oil for my perenium.
#7 of 13 Old 07-13-2006, 11:22 AM

My birth kit came last night, but DH and I were gone, so they dropped it off at the apt. office. By the time we got home, the office was closed, so I need to go by and pick it up when I get home!

I think I have pretty much everything except for a few odds & ends I plan on getting this weekend.

Birth kit - check
Cloth diapers - check (ordered from eBay and in the mail)
Diaper covers - check (ordered from eBay and in the mail)
Birth sheets and towels and baby clothes - check (just need to sterilize per midwife instructions)
Postpartum care items - check

Still need to:
-Stock up the fridge and freezer with food
-Get baby announcements and thank you cards
-Get DD some new little toys to get as "new big sister" gifts (This was a great idea suggested by the midwife so DD wouldn't be left out when visitors come to see the baby and bring baby gifts)
#8 of 13 Old 07-13-2006, 07:05 PM

Oh boy. Where did you buy the ink stuff and the birth certificate? I didn't think of that.
I got my birth kit early this week and bought some stuff on the list already but still have to pick up a few extras like large plastic bag for placenta and maxi pads, etc.
#9 of 13 Old 07-13-2006, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerTwilight
Oh boy. Where did you buy the ink stuff and the birth certificate? I didn't think of that.
I got my birth kit early this week and bought some stuff on the list already but still have to pick up a few extras like large plastic bag for placenta and maxi pads, etc.
My midwife is providing the ink and birth certificate this time, but last time I ordered it from www.InHisHands.com where I got my birth kit.
#10 of 13 Old 07-14-2006, 11:18 AM

Yay! I got my birth kit this week, too. I had a set of plastic drawers / bin type thing that I disinfected, cleaned, scrubbed and lysoled! I organized all of the items in there based on types of items and order needed! I'm such a geek!!

I got the t-shirt that says "Born at Home" and the foot print kit, too!! I also ordered my kit from www.InHisHands.com.

I'm 34 weeks now, so 2 more weeks before we're "home-free" if the baby comes. If she comes early, I'm duct-taping my legs together until 36!! This baby needs to be born at HOME!!
#11 of 13 Old 07-14-2006, 11:47 AM

I've got everything for my birth kit now too. I ordered my stuff from birthwithlove.com. They had the stuff at my door about 4 days after I ordered. I was impressed.

For the ink pad, I got the Kleen-Print footprinter. It's an inkless method. Well, actually it's a thin film that is inked on the underside only so ink doesn't actually get on the baby. It's what my midwife always uses so I assume it works pretty well.

The only thing I'm missing from my birthing supplies is the hose (drinking water quality) and sink adapter so I can fill the kiddie/birthing pool.

So what's the deal with sterilizing blankets/sheets/etc? I've heard of other people doing it, but neither my current midwife or my previous midwife (from my last birth) felt it was at all necessary. Just as long as they are clean. So, are they the oddballs here? Personally, I'm not really seeing the benefit of them being sterile (not that they can really get sterile anyway). I'm not sterile, the water isn't sterile, the pool isn't sterile, the midwife's gloves aren't sterile. What's the point of having the baby blanket and things sterile? Especially since bacteria and viruses don't live well on dry fabric anyway.
#12 of 13 Old 07-14-2006, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnfaery
So what's the deal with sterilizing blankets/sheets/etc? I've heard of other people doing it, but neither my current midwife or my previous midwife (from my last birth) felt it was at all necessary. Just as long as they are clean. So, are they the oddballs here? Personally, I'm not really seeing the benefit of them being sterile (not that they can really get sterile anyway). I'm not sterile, the water isn't sterile, the pool isn't sterile, the midwife's gloves aren't sterile. What's the point of having the baby blanket and things sterile? Especially since bacteria and viruses don't live well on dry fabric anyway.
I don't know! My last midwife didn't ask for this, but this one is. It's not really that much extra work, so I don't mind. This was the instructions she gave me.

Prepare and label the following 3 bags. These need to be paper bags tied shut with twine so that they can be sterilized in your oven.

Preheat oven to 250F. Buy an oven thermometer and check the accuracy of your oven's thermostat. Use only one rack on the lowest level. Boil a pot of water and pour it into a shallow metal pan on the floor of the oven. Make sure the water is steaming in the oven before you put the bag in. It is the steam that sterilizes your supplies. Put one bag in the oven at a time and make sure it doesn't touch the top or sides of the oven. Bake for one hour. Repeat with other bags. Add boiling water as necessary to the pan to restore it to its original level.

Bag 1 - Baby Clothes
four cloth diapers
undershirt
drawstring gown
warm outfit with feet
booties or socks
2 baby hats
4 flannel receiving blankets

Bag 2 - Towels
4 towels
4 washcloths

Bag 3 - Sheet Bag
2 sets of sheets for the birthing bed (one set for the birth, one set for postpartum)
#13 of 13 Old 07-14-2006, 01:11 PM

All my midwife does is warm the blankets in the oven or dryer. Definitely no mention of sterilizing anything. The few sterile items (cord clamp, scissors) are things that she provides. I wouldn't worry about it.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page