spontaneous wedding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-13-2006, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My fiance and I decided that in two weeks when he comes to pick me up, we're getting married on the beach. I realized that the reasons I wanted to wait were superficial (I wanted to be skinny and pick out a pretty dress and go through all those elaborate wedding details) but now I don't care about all that, I just want to be married to the man I love (which is how he's felt about the whole thing since the beginning, I was just being a silly girl about the whole situation).
So, now I have to put together a small family-only wedding in a couple of weeks. And I have to find a pretty maternity wedding dress, which is proving to be more of a task than I can handle. Anyone know where I can find one? I am excited, but so overwhelmed at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2006, 05:33 PM

Congratulations! Good for you for following your heart!
No advice on the dress, But I'm sure you will look stunning in whatever you find that works for your special day!
Old 07-13-2006, 06:03 PM

I'm so very excited for you!!! This is such a special time and having a beach wedding with just family is THE BEST WAY TO GO. DH and I did the same thing at the end of March and we wouldn't have changed it for the world!!! I'll try and post some pics from our ceremony... and I found a website that you might want to check out.. nicolematernity.com my link isn't working...hmmm

Lee Ann ~ SAHM to Carolina(4)uc.jpg, Aurora (2)uc.jpg, and belly.gifwith #3 - due in December!
Old 07-13-2006, 06:13 PM

I'd look on ebayif you do that sort of thing. Also alot of wedding dresses nowdays are ones with an empire ( higher) waist and if you just get one that is 3 sizes larger than you ususally wear, it will probably fit fine with maybe a few alterations. I still get clothes that are about 2-4 sizes larger than usual and I can wear them at alomst 36 weeks. (Just high waisted dresses)

Me : DD 5/05: DS1 7/06 : DS2 11/07: DS3 3/10
Old 07-13-2006, 06:13 PM

Congrats mama - no advice on the dress, but I hope you find something fabulous!

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:34 PM

Congrats girl!!!!! I have no advice about a dress....but yeah, try the few sizes bigger thing, that works for me even now, and I can even wear some of my old clothes!!!!
Old 07-13-2006, 07:02 PM

Wow! Cool! A beach wedding will be so beautiful!!
I have no advice about the dress. I got married while pregnant with our first baby (even though we'd sent out invitations before finding out we were pregnant), but we wore our Star Trek uniforms, : so I didn't have to worry about looking too pretty!
Can't wait to see wedding pictures!

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 07-13-2006, 07:22 PM

Beach weddings ROCK! Congrats to you!
Old 07-13-2006, 07:35 PM

How exciting! It sounds absolutely beautiful. As for the dress, I don't know. What about a flowing summery dress instead of a "wedding dress"? I'm picturing something light maybe with flowers and a crown of flowers in your hair. Whatever you decide, it will be great and perfect and we want to hear all about it! lol
Old 07-13-2006, 08:46 PM

I was married this year when I had a little belly...my dress was a maternity one that was made to accomodate even 8-9 month-ers like us. Let me see if I can find you the link to it.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:50 PM

Here's the link: http://www.marysbridal.com/bridal/6306.htm...I had the sleeves taken off of mine, because it really wasn't EXACTLY what I was looking for with them still on.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:18 PM

congratulations!! no advice on where to find a dress, but try not to get too stressed out planning the wedding. have fun and enjoy this time. i'm sure whatever you find to wear and however the plans go you will be beautiful and so will the wedding.

wife to T and mama to H & E
Old 07-13-2006, 11:01 PM

Congratulations!! If you don't find a dress you like I would love to sew one for you. Sounds like it will be a lovely wedding!

Sarah
Old 07-13-2006, 11:59 PM

congratulations!

good luck with the planning!

I just did a google search for "maternity wedding dress" and there are A LOT!

Amy
Old 07-14-2006, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

So, I've scoured Manhattan, and have only found 1 ugly maternity wedding dress in the whole city! I'm scared to order one, because if it doesn't come in in time or comes in too late to make last minute alterations I'm out of luck! :
But besides that, this is still so exciting! Thanks so much for all the congrats! It may be the hormones talking, but even if I have to get married in a trash bag with a ribbon around it I am still so excited to become my fiance's wife!:
Chumani, thanks so much for the offer! If I don't find something in the next few days I just might take you up on that!
Jesamin, you wore a beautiful dress! I think it may be too hot for the beach, though! I'll already probably be sweating like a garden hose with all of my extra body mass!
Old 07-14-2006, 11:46 AM

Wow, I'm SO happy for you!!! Thanks for sharing the context... it's interesting that your DF was happy to get married any time, but that you had reasons (that changed for wanting to wait.

I have a friend who had a spontaneous wedding in May when she was 38 weeks (first baby) & has no regrets.

Good luck putting this together so quick, finding a dress, etc.

On what beach will you do the deed?
Old 07-14-2006, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf
I got married while pregnant with our first baby (even though we'd sent out invitations before finding out we were pregnant), but we wore our Star Trek uniforms, :
- Krista
No way!!! : I think I remember you saying that you're not big on sharing photos online... but I would PAY MONEY to see that!

Jen
Old 07-14-2006, 12:08 PM

Congratulations!!!! That is such exciting news!
You can get some beautiful maternity wedding dresses here.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Old 07-14-2006, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy
Congratulations!!!! That is such exciting news!
You can get some beautiful maternity wedding dresses here.
There are some great dresses there!!!
I'm so excited for you!!!! That's so cool that you guys are doing the small wedding thing. I feel that it means so much more when it's not the huge extravegent thing with 200 of your "closest" friends and family.

Have you checked out destination maternity? they have a few and there is a store in NYC.

I also just wanted to throw out that my town in having a couple of concerts this weekend, if you were interested in getting out of the city for a while....
check this out: www.warwickarts.org

Hope you're feeling great!!!
Old 07-14-2006, 03:16 PM

Congratulations! I'm so excited for you.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:52 PM

3Angels -- I have a wedding dress I could send to you -- I wore it non-pregnant but it's empire waisted and roomy -- I think it's a 12 ...if you want a pic let me know. It's sort of medeiveal -- with long sheer sleeves that fall all the way to the ground and a square scoop neck good for cleavage

PM if you are interested. i don't have any pix but will take some if it strikes your fancy.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:17 PM

What about finding/making/or having someone make a white wrap-around skirt that you could wear under your belly, and wear a light, wispy white top? Seems fitting and romantic for a beach wedding (and it will be cool). I've made a couple of wrap-arounds (very easy) . . . and made one especially for when pg and I love how it looks. You could use some nice light material and sew on some pretty lace on the bottom hem. Are you handy with a sewing machine or know someone who is? (You don't have to be terribly handy, btw. I'm a complete novice.)

And CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Such wonderful news! How nice to have two beautiful events so close together, too.

Jen, mom of R (9), T (7), C (5), and E (2) ... my stillheart.gifs

Old 07-15-2006, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

I found one! I was looking (not really expecting to find anything for myself) with a girlfriend in the women's department at Saks Fifth Avenue (the one actually on Fifth Avenue- how cool is that? I'm such a tourist! ) when I saw a beautiful white empire waisted speghetti strapped white sundress and I thought what the heck and grabbed a size 10 to acommadate my mass (I WAS a size four, probably never again: oh well) and tried it on, and it fit! It's beautiful!! And it was only $200! It's only calf length, but my future MIL is going to add tiers of lace to the bottom for me and take it to the floor. It's a lightweight material and comfy (my two biggest priorities in clothes these days) and I love it! I can't wait until DF sees me in it! I feel so pretty in it, which, I gotta admit, is very hard for me at 33 weeks pregnant, because I've gained at least 35 pounds already (I stopped getting on the scale 2 weeks ago ).
Thanks everyone for all of your advice and support! It means so much to me!! None of my girlfriends or even my mom is here right now so I feel like you are all my best buds!
Now I feel like the wedding's officially on!!
Even though I still need to find a minister, photographer, videographer, florist, ect.....
Old 07-15-2006, 02:24 AM

Nice!! Can't wait to see pictures and hear all about the wedding!!
Old 07-15-2006, 03:59 AM

That's great - I'm so glad that you found a dress. My DH and I had a short engagement (also a beach wedding) and finding a dress off the rack isn't easy but it worked out just fine. And yes, you'll be required to post pictures!
Old 07-15-2006, 12:08 PM

That's great! Your dress sounds really pretty. I want to see pics too!!

User Tag List