Breastfeeding Story on 20/20 Tonight with Maria Vargas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-14-2006, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

I saw a quick promo for this last night and thought I'd let you know that there is a story on breastfeeding tonight on 20/20. I am not a regular 20/20 viewer-John Stossel's sarcasm gets to be a little grating after a few moments. But this should be interesting. Let's watch and post our reactions tomorrow! Maria Vargas is the host of the story-and interestingly, she is pregnant right now. I just hope that they are able to present a fair and honest story. Can't wait to watch!

Have a great Friday!
Megan
#2 of 13 Old 07-14-2006, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Here is the link to the related story-20/20 airs at 10pm on ABC. Just copy and paste into your browser. Should be interesting...

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=2188066&page=1
#3 of 13 Old 07-14-2006, 03:16 PM

I read the story and honestly, I believe the newstation is only trying to get more viewers. Most of this entire story centers around "not forcing the issue" and "don't make formula-feeding moms feel bad." etc.

I want to watch the show, but I don't know if I can (I get fired up about this stuff.)

I have friends who have chosen to bf and others who have chosen to ff. I don't like the ff moms less. But, I also don't want to hear them tell me I make them feel guilty for choosing formula. I feel like we all make the best decisions for our families, cd'ing or sposies, bf'ing or formula, gentle discipline or spanking, etc. There will never be a time when we all agree on what's best. But, we should at least be confident in our decisions to not accuse others of making them feel guilty for it.

Blah, I just didn't like that article. Sorry, off my soapbox

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#4 of 13 Old 07-14-2006, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

I actually didn't read the article-I just thought I'd post the link to see if anyone was interested. I plan to watch the show-it will be enlightening to see what conclusions a major news outlet draws on this subject. Personally, I choose to breastfeed, regardless of what ABC tells us tonight. I have had friends on both sides of the fence, and being such a personal decision, I would NEVER tell ANYONE that they didn't make the right choice. Who am I to know about what is right for anyone but me and my family??? My SIL was desperate to breastfeed her twins when they were born, but it just didn't work for her. We'll have to post again after the show!
#5 of 13 Old 07-14-2006, 04:03 PM

I'm going to try to watch it tonight, though I know I'll probably just end up yelling at the tv since I'm a major lactivist. Still, I like to know what the mainstream world is watching.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#6 of 13 Old 07-14-2006, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf
I'm going to try to watch it tonight, though I know I'll probably just end up yelling at the tv since I'm a major lactivist. Still, I like to know what the mainstream world is watching.
I'm a major lactivist too, that's why the article really bothered me. I personally haven't seen the most recent gov't ads for breastfeeding, so I don't know how it comes across. But, I just get a little offended when there's a public ad announcement like this - something that's proven to be "THE BEST" - and there are people fighting it. I've never seen an ad that has said "You are a XXXX kind of mom if you chose formula." So, why are they all taken that way? I mean ANY ad promoting breastfeeding is come down on SO hard.

I'm a lactivist too and I'm proud of it. I'm proud that I've had friends who've TRIED breastfeeding because they saw me do it. One day of breastmilk is better than none.

radiogirlgr - I totally understand what you are saying. The article just got me worked up, seemed really one sided - only ONE quote from a breastfeeding mom while there were multiple comments by ff moms and a dr who said don't push the issue with bf'ing.

#7 of 13 Old 07-14-2006, 06:51 PM

yipes. You know, I wasn't a huge fan of those ads, not that I disagree with them, just I think a different approach would have been more well received by mom's who need to hear this information. but any article that pops up with "is the breast better?" as a title is just idiotic. OF COURSE IT IS. Read a formula can if you want to answer that question. I'll probably watch and get pissed off. I'll report back if I do!

and I really hate that Spitzer woman...so I can't even say that I gave my daughter a gift by breastfeeding because it implies that you didn't? Well, you didn't. You didn't give the gift of breastfeeding and maybe if you truly were comfortable with that decision you wouldn't feel the need to come down on someone who did. To me it sounds like she KNOWS that she made an inferior choice but wants the rest of us to make her feel good about it.

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#8 of 13 Old 07-14-2006, 06:53 PM

Hmm. I'll probably watch but sounds like it'll be a trainwreck by all indications.
#9 of 13 Old 07-14-2006, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieV
yipes. You know, I wasn't a huge fan of those ads, not that I disagree with them, just I think a different approach would have been more well received by mom's who need to hear this information. but any article that pops up with "is the breast better?" as a title is just idiotic. OF COURSE IT IS. Read a formula can if you want to answer that question. I'll probably watch and get pissed off. I'll report back if I do!

and I really hate that Spitzer woman...so I can't even say that I gave my daughter a gift by breastfeeding because it implies that you didn't? Well, you didn't. You didn't give the gift of breastfeeding and maybe if you truly were comfortable with that decision you wouldn't feel the need to come down on someone who did. To me it sounds like she KNOWS that she made an inferior choice but wants the rest of us to make her feel good about it.
I your summation of the article, definitely what I was trying to get across but not quite as eloquently as you did.

#10 of 13 Old 07-14-2006, 10:47 PM

[...To me it sounds like she KNOWS that she made an inferior choice but wants the rest of us to make her feel good about it.[/QUOTE]

Yes! A person does not feel guilty about something unless they feel that they have maybe done something wrong.

mom to sam arlo (5), olive loretta (3)....and twin girls Annie and Ramona Jean, born 3/10.

#11 of 13 Old 07-15-2006, 12:33 AM

PERFECT article to go along with what we're talking about from the lactivism forum...

http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Essays/guilt.html

I never did watch it...supposedly my friend heard it was going to be more about the struggles working moms have to find companies that are bf'ing friendly?? She heard it was supposed to be positive, I hope that was the case because that article had me steaming all afternoon.:

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#12 of 13 Old 07-15-2006, 03:13 AM

We don't have a TV for TV watching so I couldn't watch the show either. My mom thought that formula was best too - but seriously we know much better now what the real benefits of BF are.

AmieV the article you posted really hits the nail on the head and was nicely written.
#13 of 13 Old 07-15-2006, 11:10 AM

I watched the show as was annoyed. Why not spend a whole hour on breastfeeding? the segment was short and more inflammatory than helpful. Instead of bashing the ads, why not have a discussion about what might help? What about profiling businesses who have a positive track record welcoming breast feeding moms? There was so much more to be said and done.

My son wants to see these emoticons: : :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page