fundal height? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-14-2006, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At 36 weeks, is the fundal height measurement still applicable? I saw my nurse midwife when I was 33 weeks, and she said I was measuring 2cm low (31cm), but wasn't too concerned. I just measured it myself, and was less than 30cm (around 25cm). I know I'm not a technician, but it can't be that hard to measure it yourself. Is such a low measurement normal this late, or should I call the clinic? (They'll probably say something like, "just wait until your appt on Tuesday.") Am I freaking out for nothing? I guess I'm worried that the fluid may be low and the baby is in there struggling.
#2 of 7 Old 07-14-2006, 10:18 PM

Actually it's not easy to measure yourself - I am good at measuring other Mom's tummys (I did it off and on for a while) but I did my own and when my MW friend measured me, I was 3cm off from her measurement! Talk about stunned!

I think you'd be fine to wait until Tuesday, but go with your gut.
~Julie

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#3 of 7 Old 07-15-2006, 12:37 AM

I think it'd be really, really tough to accurately measure yourself. The pubic bone is really far down there...I'm fairly certain I can barely reach it at this point let alone hold a tape measure steady!

plus if the baby has dropped you'll measure small too. I think when I was 37 weeks and switched to the birth center I never measured more than 34?? and I believe it even got smaller instead of bigger near the end because baby was so low. Rest assured, I had enough fluid to get me to 40w5d, and deliver an 8lb 11 oz baby!

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#4 of 7 Old 07-15-2006, 12:50 AM

Plus every person I've had measure me measures differently so I'm not really sure that it's a reliable gauge of how things are going. Is there anything else that is making you worry?
#5 of 7 Old 07-15-2006, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter

Ok I feel better now. A phase of over-worrying, I think. That, and everyone says I'm "too small-looking" for 36 weeks. The baby moves around a lot and starting this week I've been feeling (barely) BH contractions, and that's all good news, right? I just need to go with my gut instinct and stop listening to do-gooders at work. :
#6 of 7 Old 07-15-2006, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambotchka
I just need to go with my gut instinct and stop listening to do-gooders at work. :
That's right, mama. Tune out the noise. Fill your ears and mind with the normalcy of birth.
#7 of 7 Old 07-23-2006, 05:14 AM

How accurate are these measurements? I had a doctors appointment on 07-19 and measured 40 cm but am 34 weeks pregnant. Is that normal?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page