Baby Laundry Issue - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 07-20-2006, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone else have the problem that EVERYTHING you wash comes out of the dryer a wrinkled mess?
I washed 3 loads of baby clothes today and even though I took the clothes out of the dryer as soon as it dinged- before it even stopped running- it was all wrinkled. And when clothes are 8 inches long it is hard to smooth wrinkles out.
This is a major pet peeve to have all these cute clothes that look like crap as soon as they are washed and I
1. Don't have a clothes line.
2. Am NOT going to iron them.
Any ideas?

btw: anyone else sick of eating? Not really hungry and feel like you are probably starving your baby? I had 2 waffles, some perogies and a few crackers to eat all day and I am stuffed solid! Poor baby isn't gonna fatten up much this way!
#2 of 19 Old 07-20-2006, 07:25 PM

Is it just the baby stuff this is happening to? If so, does your washing machine have adjustable spin speeds? I'd lower the speed on the spin cycle and that way the dryer doesn't have to work on something so tightly spun (which can create more wrinkles).

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#3 of 19 Old 07-20-2006, 07:50 PM

Can someone remind me - are dryer sheets (unscented) okay for baby laundry?
#4 of 19 Old 07-20-2006, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Area Babe
I didn't think dryer sheets were okay for anyone's clothing, last time I read about them they contained mainly toxic chemicals. Have they changed over the years?

#5 of 19 Old 07-20-2006, 08:36 PM

isn't there anywhere you can hang them? string a line across the back porch and/or living room, maybe?
#6 of 19 Old 07-20-2006, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Area Babe
I've always used half a dryer sheet with all clothes, including baby items. The only thing that doesn't get fabric softener/dryer sheets is the diapers.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#7 of 19 Old 07-20-2006, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know if my dryer has spin cycles. And I don't want to hang a clothes line because it is so diggedang damp here my clothes will just come out smelling like mildew.
But yes it is just the baby clothes. It is not a problem with our laundry. I guess my dryer is just weird since no one else has this problem.
#8 of 19 Old 07-20-2006, 10:57 PM

ok when thier wrinkled try throwing a damp wash cloth in with the clothes see if that does the trick that takes out wrinkles. I don't take them out before it rings couse mine has a cool down cycle before. If yours has a cool down before it rings let it ring. You can always iron them if you have too. Its tricky at first but you can get the hang of it.
#9 of 19 Old 07-21-2006, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerTwilight
I don't know if my dryer has spin cycles.
Not your dryer, your washing machine. Many have the choice of setting the spin speed. The faster it spins, the tighter it tends to winds the clothes which makes it more difficult for the dryer to get out the wrinkles. If you can prevent the tight spin from the washing machine, the dryer should be able to do a better job.

#10 of 19 Old 07-21-2006, 12:38 AM

I might be a minority, but I wash baby clothes with our clothes and they don't get wrinkled up at all. I don't use fabric softener any more either. I just fill the dispenser with vinegar. My clothes are still very soft, I think the towels actually feel softer. No vinegar smell either just fresh smelling.
#11 of 19 Old 07-21-2006, 01:24 AM

I have heard a decent, natural, alternative to dryer sheets is fabric softener. Seventh Generation makes a good one. I use all natural detergent but I just can't break the dryer sheet habit! Grrrr.

At any rate, I wash all of our family's clothes together, on a normal wash cycle and a normal dry cycle and nothing turns out overly wrinkled. I'm not sure what is too different. Maybe it is the dryer sheets?
#12 of 19 Old 07-21-2006, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 in August
I might be a minority, but I wash baby clothes with our clothes and they don't get wrinkled up at all. I don't use fabric softener any more either. I just fill the dispenser with vinegar. My clothes are still very soft, I think the towels actually feel softer. No vinegar smell either just fresh smelling.
I also wash baby clothes with regular clothes. But no vinegar. I always use fabric softener, and occasional baking soda. Sometimes small loads create more wrinkles than a full load, and of course make sure you remove the warm dry clothing promptly.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#13 of 19 Old 07-21-2006, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, good to know, good to know! Thanks!
#14 of 19 Old 07-21-2006, 09:57 AM

Dryer sheet do leave a residue on clothes (which is why you shouldn't use the on cloth diapers)... we use them on our regular clothes, but I won't on baby's until we learn if baby has sensitive skin or not.

Re: spin cycle on washer, you could also do as fast spin but then give the clothes a shake as you put them in the dryer (to untwist them).

Let us know if you find anything that helps!
#15 of 19 Old 07-21-2006, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyJoy1975
ok when thier wrinkled try throwing a damp wash cloth in with the clothes see if that does the trick that takes out wrinkles. I don't take them out before it rings couse mine has a cool down cycle before. If yours has a cool down before it rings let it ring. You can always iron them if you have too. Its tricky at first but you can get the hang of it.
You can also use a towel - it also helps get all the dampness out. If I have a small load or a load that takes a while to dry I always throw a bath towel in and it seems to help them dry faster and the clothes aren't wrinkled. Works great with a load of diapers!
#16 of 19 Old 07-21-2006, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marymamma
You can also use a towel - it also helps get all the dampness out. If I have a small load or a load that takes a while to dry I always throw a bath towel in and it seems to help them dry faster and the clothes aren't wrinkled. Works great with a load of diapers!
Mary, would you use a wet towel or dry?
#17 of 19 Old 07-21-2006, 10:33 AM

On my dryer, I have a choice of low heat, fluff, and regular heat (which is actually extremely hot). I find if I use the "low heat" setting, the kids' clothes come out wrinkle-free. I don't use any fabric softener, vinegar or otherwise.
#18 of 19 Old 07-21-2006, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMidwife
Mary, would you use a wet towel or dry?
Either lightly damp or dry.
#19 of 19 Old 07-21-2006, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahero
I find if I use the "low heat" setting, the kids' clothes come out wrinkle-free.
I dry everything except towels/sheets on low too. Although I usually have to add an extra 15 minutes of drying time of they're slightly damp. But I've had no trouble with wrinkles either, and I WILL NOT IRON! LOL.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page