Anybody breech? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 07-21-2006, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm closing in on 36 weeks and baby is breech. He was breech last week, and he's breech again this week. My midwife has me doing exercises, and I'm going in for a chiropractic adjustment (Webster technique) to try to get baby to turn. The midwife has never done a breech birth, but thinks I'm a good candidate and is willing to attend my birth if it is still breech when I go into labor (this will be a homebirth.)
I think I am still in denial about it, and totally freaked out. The midwife brought a video and the breech birth was pretty strange (so much different from a vertex birth!)... and I think it freaked poor dh out pretty bad. I know I need to make a decision as to what I'll do if I do go into labor breech, but I am having a hard time thinking about it.
And it turns out that breech babies usually come early.. it's not uncommon for them to come at 37-38 weeks. Yikes.. I could be having a baby in 1-2 weeks?!
#2 of 27 Old 07-21-2006, 03:44 AM

My baby is breech, at 35+ weeks. There has been some shifting after exercises, but I don't believe he has turned. My mw (or any mw in this country) won't deliver breech babies, but she'll pretty much follow the labour at home and in the hospital, when the ob will come in at the end only.
I definitely think a breech birth - under the right circumstances - can be done at home by a mw, but I would at least want one person with lots of breech experience there. Does she have a colleague who would be willing to assist?
I wouldn't want to be anyone's "first anything" unless there was a very experienced person right there to guide and step in if needed.
But here's to hoping both our babies will turn in time for a regular homebirth!!

mama to my August boys ('03 & '06) trying to figure out what to do after 5 losses
#3 of 27 Old 07-21-2006, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter

I hope our babies turn! My midwife has an apprentice midwife, but neither have attended a breech birth. That does make me a tad nervous.

Another side to this, is that I should probably have an ultrasound to see if the baby really is breech. My midwife has been doing this for 20 years but can't tell me if baby is certainly breech. He is almost always posterior which makes it hard for her to tell. But, for me to have an ultrasound I would have to go see a regular OB and explain everything.. and I don't want to have to go do that. I wish it weren't all so complicated! I took for granted that my other kids were vertex.
#4 of 27 Old 07-21-2006, 07:13 AM

This is one of my big worries that he'll be breach and my natural birth will fly out the window. My dr says she doesn't know which way he is and I know he moves around a lot. So I'm never sure either.
#5 of 27 Old 07-21-2006, 08:29 AM

Every time I see the midwife baby turns head down, but posterior. Then he turns back to transverse (or diagonal with head under my right ribs) soon after. I know this baby is still turning all the time, so my midwife isn't worried. She really believes that baby will turn when it needs to, even if that's during labor. And if he's breech, well, then he's breech! We'll deal with it if it happens. I'm getting more relaxed about it because she's so relaxed about it, which is the way she is about everything, and that's so helpful for me.
But I do hope these babies turn. Do some exercises from the Spinning babies website, play nice music at the bottom of your belly, shine a flashlight down there, put a bag of cold peas at the top of your belly, get on hands and knees, lay head down on an incline for 10 minutes a few times a day (worked when my second baby turned breech late in pregnancy), and tell baby to turn.

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#6 of 27 Old 07-21-2006, 11:58 AM

Mel, are there any other homebirth midwives in your area (even several hours away) who might have more experience w/ breech? Maybe she could assist your midwife?

That's my midwife's policy... she hasn't done very many breeches, but there's another midwife about 4 hours away w/ lots of breech experience who assists other midwives w/ breech (hope that makes sense!).

Turn babies, turn!
#7 of 27 Old 07-21-2006, 12:09 PM

dd1 was transverse until 36 weeks. I was beginning to freak out, so I can feel for you ladies. An exercise that worked for me and a friend (her baby was breech at 37 or 38 weeks) was the spinning/swimming one. Basically, you swim laps the length of the pool - while swimming forward you flip from your front to your back to your front to your back, etc. Does that make sense? You're sort of rolling while swimming forward. My acupuncturist told me that he has had good luck getting babies to turn, so that is an option, too. Good luck.
#8 of 27 Old 07-21-2006, 12:34 PM

ds3 was breech among other probs (cord around his neck 3 times, partial placenta previa) until 36-37. He turned when "he was ready".
#9 of 27 Old 07-21-2006, 01:32 PM

How about trying acupuncture? There is a needle-less technique that uses heat from burning the herb Mugwort; the heat is applied to a specific acupuncture point (Bladder-67), which is at the pinky toe by the outer edge of the nail. It's really effective!

http://parenting.ivillage.com/pregna...,,42zd,00.html
http://www.medical-acupuncture.co.uk...2(1)/026.shtml

Please feel free to pm me if you'd like any more info...It's something you can do at home by yourself if you are able to buy the moxa.

crochetsmilie.gif mama to DD 8/06, DS 9/09

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul jammin.gif
#10 of 27 Old 07-21-2006, 01:51 PM

It's funny, my babe has been head down at every appointment, but I had a long talk with my midwives about the possibility of a breech baby and this is what I decided. They won't deliver the baby at the birthing center, I would have to go to the hospital, and an OB would have to deliver with them present. I have decided unless something is grossly wrong, that I will refuse a c/s. I have a proven pelvis, there is nothing saying this is a big baby, and I don't see breech as a reason to be cut open. I will invite every OB resident and Midwife on the premises in to see a breech birth. I feel very strongly that this is knowledge that is being lost to the "easiness" of a section. One of the midwives at the center delivered many breech babies at her last practice in Atlanta, but they don't do them here.

Just my 2 cents. But I am a Surgical ICU RN, and there had better be something drastically wrong with me to consent to surgery!
#11 of 27 Old 07-21-2006, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMidwife
Mel, are there any other homebirth midwives in your area (even several hours away) who might have more experience w/ breech? Maybe she could assist your midwife?

That's my midwife's policy... she hasn't done very many breeches, but there's another midwife about 4 hours away w/ lots of breech experience who assists other midwives w/ breech (hope that makes sense!).

Turn babies, turn!
I'll have to ask my midwife about another midwife attending that might have more experience. Although, I know it would have to be someone far away, b/c midwives are scarce in this area.
#12 of 27 Old 07-21-2006, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I am going to have the Webster technique done on Tuesday. I am having a hard time finding a place to get an ultrasound. I called my old OB but they won't see patients this late in the pregnancy.
#13 of 27 Old 07-21-2006, 08:59 PM

I birthed my last babe at home frank breech. Check out www.breechbabies.com it is a wonderful resource when planning/contemplating a breech birth. I wish our culture wasn't so scared if breech birth. Breech birth isn't inherently wrong. It is mainly in the skill of the attendent i.e. hands off and patient. My midwife was willing to drive 4 hours to help me. She is very experienced in breech but basically all she did was keep babe from landing on the floor! I have the birth on video and have been trying to get it transferred to dvd so I can share it. Breech birth does look different than vertex. It is hard to tell that it really is a baby that is being born until you can see the legs. My breech babe didn't come until
39w3d. My second pg babe was breech until a couple days before he was born at 37w3d. Also my mom had a breech babe that turned during labor. The dr was prepared for breech and was surprised to see a head (1961).

Do you have any ultrasound photo places around you? They are usually in a mall or strip mall shopping center. I went to one in Las Vegas (1.5 hour drive for me), a lot cheaper than an OB and less stressful.

Best wishes!
Sarah
#14 of 27 Old 07-21-2006, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumani
I birthed my last babe at home frank breech. Check out www.breechbabies.com it is a wonderful resource when planning/contemplating a breech birth. I wish our culture wasn't so scared if breech birth. Breech birth isn't inherently wrong. It is mainly in the skill of the attendent i.e. hands off and patient. My midwife was willing to drive 4 hours to help me. She is very experienced in breech but basically all she did was keep babe from landing on the floor! I have the birth on video and have been trying to get it transferred to dvd so I can share it. Breech birth does look different than vertex. It is hard to tell that it really is a baby that is being born until you can see the legs. My breech babe didn't come until
39w3d. My second pg babe was breech until a couple days before he was born at 37w3d. Also my mom had a breech babe that turned during labor. The dr was prepared for breech and was surprised to see a head (1961).

Do you have any ultrasound photo places around you? They are usually in a mall or strip mall shopping center. I went to one in Las Vegas (1.5 hour drive for me), a lot cheaper than an OB and less stressful.

Best wishes!
Sarah
Thanks for the link! I haven't chiecked it out yet, but I'm going to in a minute. No, unfortunately there are no u/s photo places around here. I already looked into that. My mom used to work for an imaging place, and I talked to her this afternoon. She *may* be able to sneak me in for a quick peek.

I am feeling pretty frustrated after talking to my old OB's nurse. She said this has come up before, and b/c of their insurance they won't accept me as a patient. My midwife said this is common and it will be hard to get into an OB for an ultrasound. But, it has left me feeling really unsettled that I am basically forced to go to the ER if I feel I need medical care. This baby being breech has really thrown me for a loop!
#15 of 27 Old 07-21-2006, 11:56 PM

What a frustrating situation! I know how hard it is to be faced with this decision. That is terrible that a dr could deny you care simply based on how far along you are. Sending head down thoughts your way! If you can, have someone watch your other children for about an hour a day so you can spend time visualizing baby turning. I was able to do that for the last 8 weeks of my breech baby's pregnancy except that I was visualizing/praying/meditating her birth. I was able to greet labor confident in my decision. Taking the time for you is really important right now. My breech baby was also my 5th babe as well. I wish I lived closer to you! My thoughts are with you and your babe that all will go well!

Sarah
#16 of 27 Old 07-22-2006, 08:17 AM

Thanks for the confident breech birth story chumani! I'm getting more confident that I can birth this baby however s/he decides to come out. Yesterday evening I think its body was transverse but feet were down poking my cervix causing some mild contractions for a few hours and making me feel all crampy.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#17 of 27 Old 07-22-2006, 10:02 AM

So last night I did some exercises to encourage a better position.....well, it worked....instead of transverse, now baby's head is right up high in the middle : ....at least that's birthable though! I think it's feet down, not bottom down. Can a baby be knees down? I've never heard of it, just wondering.

#18 of 27 Old 07-22-2006, 11:28 PM

There are 3 main types of breech;

Frank ~babe is in a pike position with feet up by the face/ears, bum is the presenting part.
Footling ~babe has legs folded under bottom "indian style" with feet presenting.
Kneeling ~babe is kneeling with knees presenting.

Frank breech is the least likely to turn but the "best" to birth vaginally as the circumference of the thighs and hips folded up is the same or slightly bigger than the head circumference.

Footling and Kneeling breech are the most likely to turn. Vaginal delivery isn't completely contraindicated as long as 10+cm dilation is achieved.

Best wishes!
Sarah
#19 of 27 Old 07-23-2006, 09:50 PM

do you have a Planned Parenthood in your area? They often can do ultrasounds, they're not usually very high tech because they're mostly used for dating pregnancies, and it's a tech who reads it, not a radiologist, but the one I volunteer for does them for $55 and I'm pretty sure anyone with even basic knowledge of u/s's can tell where the head is!

I've known several mama's who had good luck with the acupuncture moxabustion thing. Like their babies turned within 24 hours. If I had a breech baby that's probably the first thing I'd try.
good luck and hoping these babies turn!

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#20 of 27 Old 07-24-2006, 09:40 AM

I have another transverse baby over here! My DD was transverse until about 10 days before her birth when she finally turned head down. She was posterior, but I was just so grateful she was vertical at the end I didn't mind so much. Now baby #2 has flipped sideways on me as of last week. Here we go again!
#21 of 27 Old 07-25-2006, 02:19 AM

So, yesterday I saw the ob my mw had referred me too, because he was known to attempt versions as well as deliver breech babies vaginally. He took one look at my belly and said:"Breech? I don't think so.." Ultrasound didn't think so either, so we're good for our mw homebirth, yess!! (unless of course this babe decides to turn back or something)
Sending turning vibes your way!

mama to my August boys ('03 & '06) trying to figure out what to do after 5 losses
#22 of 27 Old 08-04-2006, 05:13 PM

Mel, any updates? Did the Webster technique - or anything else - do the trick? Hope you're okay..

#23 of 27 Old 08-04-2006, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabry
So, yesterday I saw the ob my mw had referred me too, because he was known to attempt versions as well as deliver breech babies vaginally. He took one look at my belly and said:"Breech? I don't think so.." Ultrasound didn't think so either, so we're good for our mw homebirth, yess!! (unless of course this babe decides to turn back or something)
Sending turning vibes your way!
Fantastic!!! I hope everyone else's babies are cooperating
#24 of 27 Old 08-04-2006, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabry
Mel, any updates? Did the Webster technique - or anything else - do the trick? Hope you're okay..
Turns out he wasn't breech after all! I had an ultrasound last week and he was head down.
#25 of 27 Old 08-05-2006, 12:32 AM

Yea! That's got to be a relief!
#26 of 27 Old 08-05-2006, 10:32 AM

Yay Mel, I'm glad to hear that! It sure is a big relief, isn't it?

#27 of 27 Old 08-05-2006, 02:39 PM

It's amazing how babies usually know what to do when it's time. Two weeks before birth Nate turned head down but posterior. But by labor he turned his head the right way and came out normally. Of course because he didn't spend much time in the "correct" position, he had no head moulding before labor, and was born with a perfectly round "little" head. Pretty cool.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page