I want my surprise! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 07-21-2006, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I have had 3 different people (who don't know each other) in the last 24 hours tell me that they think my baby will be a boy. One was my midwife, one was an old friend that saw my picture on MySpace, and one was a random guy in the gas station. Wierd, huh? Everyone seems to think this is a boy and have been telling me the whole time I have been pregnant.

I kinda wish people would just stop. I don't want to get my hopes up either way, then be disappointed at the birth, kwim? : I truely don't have a preference and will be happy with either a boy or a girl, but all this boy talk has gotten me to start thinking about it more. I really want to stay impartial!!

Anyone else having a surprise baby?
#2 of 19 Old 07-21-2006, 11:24 AM

Me too! I truly don't care either way, but the suspense is KILLING me!!!
#3 of 19 Old 07-21-2006, 11:29 AM

That's so weird you mention it, because we found out it was a boy on the ultrasound, but now when I walk down the street in New York everyone is like "It's a boy isn't it?" and I am amazed at how all these people can tell.
#4 of 19 Old 07-21-2006, 11:51 AM

I keep calling this baby a he, so I won't be disappointed. I mean, I'd like either one, but I know that I want at least one girl, and it would kind of take the pressure off!

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#5 of 19 Old 07-21-2006, 11:57 AM

Well, if this helps I am having a girl and EVERYONE always says to me, "it's a boy, right?" and then is shocked when they are wrong. I am just carrying in typical boy fashion but that is my body. So I wouldn't put any weight to it. :-)
#6 of 19 Old 07-21-2006, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf
I keep calling this baby a he, so I won't be disappointed. I mean, I'd like either one, but I know that I want at least one girl, and it would kind of take the pressure off!

- Krista
Hehe, I've had my fingers crossed for you, Krista!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerTwilight
Well, if this helps I am having a girl and EVERYONE always says to me, "it's a boy, right?" and then is shocked when they are wrong
OMG, you are?! I thought you were in the "surprise tribe"! Hehe, did you find out @ your ~20 week ultrasound? I'm such a spaz... why did I think you didn't know?! LOL!
#7 of 19 Old 07-21-2006, 12:05 PM

We don't know the sex of our baby either. Dh thinks he's a girl, but I say boy. I thought we had twins (still think we may have started off with twins, but I can't let my mind linger there too long - too depressing), but it looks like there's only one in there now. We didn't know with dd2 either, but we were so sure she was a girl - when she came out we were like, "Yep, she's a girl." No surprise at all. So, this will be fun because we're split. Dh is usually TOTALLY sure and he's not this time. I can't wait. Well, I can - make it to August 3rd baby........
#8 of 19 Old 07-21-2006, 01:37 PM

I'm in the same boat--EVERYONE comments that they think we're having a boy. Sreiously, out of maybe 50 people, 2 have guessed it's a girl. And eceryone sounds so sure of themselves! I really don't have a preference either way, except at this point I almost want a girl so I can shut them all up. I'm getting sick of hearing it!!

crochetsmilie.gif mama to DD 8/06, DS 9/09

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul jammin.gif
#9 of 19 Old 07-21-2006, 01:37 PM

I'm in the same boat--EVERYONE comments that they think we're having a boy. Seriously, out of maybe 50 people, 2 have thought it's a girl. And everyone sounds so sure of themselves! I really don't have a preference either way, except at this point I almost want a girl so I can shut them all up. I'm getting sick of hearing it!!

crochetsmilie.gif mama to DD 8/06, DS 9/09

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul jammin.gif
#10 of 19 Old 07-21-2006, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerTwilight
Well, if this helps I am having a girl and EVERYONE always says to me, "it's a boy, right?" and then is shocked when they are wrong. I am just carrying in typical boy fashion but that is my body. So I wouldn't put any weight to it. :-)
Both my husband and I had a feeling the baby was a boy. Then we found out it was a girl (and every time we have an US we have them check again, just to be sure! ). But everyone who looks at me thinks I'm having a boy, so... I wouldn't put too much stock in people's predictions!
#11 of 19 Old 07-21-2006, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

During my last pregnancy, I knew it was a girl the whole time and it was confirmed by u/s. This time, I have no strong feeling either way and we tried to find out with an u/s but baby kept his/her legs crossed the whole time.

I keep thinking that people say its a boy b/c they know I have a girl already and it's just assumed I will automatically have a boy this time. But, I have had strangers tell me its a boy and they don't know I have a DD already. Who knows? I am excited to find out at the birth!
#12 of 19 Old 07-21-2006, 02:47 PM

Yeah, I am feeling so strongly that it's a boy that I don't even feel like I'm having a surprise anymore!!

I have no preference...I'd be thrilled with another girl because I have this weird "fear of the unknown" issue with a boy (I have no siblings and all girl cousins...I just haven't been around many little boys!), but I'd also love to have one of each and see what boys are all about.

But at this point the only way I'll be surprised is if it IS a girl. Like a PP said, only two people think girl...my H and my m/w's assistant.

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#13 of 19 Old 07-21-2006, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieV
I have no preference...I'd be thrilled with another girl because I have this weird "fear of the unknown" issue with a boy (I have no siblings and all girl cousins...I just haven't been around many little boys!), but I'd also love to have one of each and see what boys are all about.
Me too! My sister has a boy, but he's.....can I say.........more girly than his sister? He's 5 and has been telling us since he could talk that he wants to be a girl, plays with only "girly" toys, wears girl clothes, and is totally obsessed with anything pink, frilly, or otherwise normally associated with girls. Most people assume he is a girl when they meet him and other kids are totally confused by him and usually ask one of us if he's a boy or girl. Luckily, I have an extrememly loving and open-minded family for the most part and we have let him do what comes naturally. I just hope he doesn't have too hard of a time when he starts kindergarden at a public school this year. Sorry for the tangent...that situation is a whole other topic!

So, I really have no experience with boys at all, so it would definitely be a new, fun experience to have one!
#14 of 19 Old 07-21-2006, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
With my last pregnancy EVERYONE said I was having a boy. Random strangers, the acupuncturists who took my pulses, friends and family members. I think the only person who thought girl was her father.

Anyways, I was so convinced I was having a boy that when they told me that she was a girl I was really suprised!

Good Luck!
#15 of 19 Old 07-21-2006, 04:10 PM

People mostly guess "boy" with me, too, but I think it's just a tendency for people to guess that more than girls. Probably some social subconscious thing. I don't know...

I guess those of us waiting for the surprise will find out in just a few weeks! (I think I'll push faster!)
#16 of 19 Old 07-21-2006, 04:28 PM

Jen, yeah I found out at 20 weeks. That was my only ultra sound.
We had them write it down and we went out to our favorite restaurant for dinner and opened the paper so it was a surprise for us then.
I couldn't stand the suspense. I am SOOOOO not a surprise kind of gal!
#17 of 19 Old 07-21-2006, 05:25 PM

Last time everybody, including me was convinced I'd have a boy. I had my u/s and found out girl and people still guessed boy. This time everybody thought girl. We were really planning on it too. But the u/s clearly shows a boy.
#18 of 19 Old 07-21-2006, 08:09 PM

*lol* Everyone says I'm carrying like I have a boy, but this is a definately a girlie.
#19 of 19 Old 07-22-2006, 01:20 PM

yeah, what is up with all the 'boy' comments? I get that prediction overwhelmingly too...from total strangers and even my first midwife (everytime she listened to the hb, she'd say...I think it's a boy...).
I want to stay neutral too, either a boy or girl would be fine with me. Super, even!
And I love my girl name SO much, that if we have a boy, i told dh that we'll have to get something else female, a goat, a chicken, something I can name Stella, just because I need to use that name!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page