Swelling - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 07-26-2006, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not due until the end of August, so right now, I'm 35 weeks and 5 days.

And, I'm crazy swollen. I mentioned it to the midwife last time, but she kind of told me it was okay and not to worry. So, here's my question.... when to worry?

My hands ache from the swelling. I haven't worn rings in weeks. I can't open a water bottle because I can't close my hands that much. My feet are enormous. I bought shoes 2 sizes too big a few weeks back to wear to work, and even they are tight. I can press into my legs up to my knees and leave dents after I've been on my feet for 4+ hours. Last night, I could feel the tightness in my thighs.

My BP is climbing, but still technically "okay." Yesterday, it was 120/80. (that's also my baseline at my midwives' office, but just because I hate going to the office, and I get nervous; I normally run 120/60) Not spilling any protein. Just mainly the swelling.

So, would you be nervous? What would you do?
#2 of 17 Old 07-26-2006, 08:35 AM

I am swelling too, my feet and hands ache like crazy. Up your water intake, it will flush out your system. Your BP is fine, and since you're not spilling protein, I'd say you are just having normal swelling. The hot weather doesn't help either. Just keep cool and hydrated, keep your feet elevated as much as possible, and try to stay off your feet.

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#3 of 17 Old 07-26-2006, 09:12 AM

I would be nervous too. I've read that spilling protein is a late sign of pre-e, also.

I think there's a blood test that can be done to test for it. It seems as if I read that somewhere . . . maybe on the Pre-E watchdog thread in the pregnancy archives or when I did a search online. If I was worried about it, I'd ask my midwife or doc to do a test.

Good luck. I hope it's just swelling that's going on.

Jen, mom of R (9), T (7), C (5), and E (2) ... my stillheart.gifs

#4 of 17 Old 07-26-2006, 12:19 PM

I know it's kind of late, BUT nettle tea works wonders on swelling. If you have a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's in your area (or most natural food stores) they should have bulk nettle for sale, just boil a pot of water and pour over a bag of nettle and let steep for 30 or more minutes and drink 2-3 cups per day. I noticed a difference in my swelling in just a few days. Now, i drink it everyday with my RRL and have had very minimal swelling. Most days it's not even noticeable but when it's really hot and I've been really active, I do notice a bit in my feet.

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#5 of 17 Old 07-26-2006, 12:30 PM

:

My 1st pregnancy, by this point I had been drinking a red raspberry/nettle combo for almost 2 months (I am also due end of August) and I did NOT have even a tiny bit of swelling. This time, I forgot to get on it and have had swelling in my feet/ankles for about 3 weeks and it's driving me crazy. They are sore to walk on and look terrible! I haven't had an increase in blood pressure though, mine is always on the low end. Has been 100/60 for every appointment except yesterday it was 100/55.

I told my midwife I seemed to be low on iron (HUGE craving for chewing ice which means low iron). She reminded me to start on my red raspberry/nettle which contain iron so when I got home last night I made myself a cup. Seriously, after one cup, my swelling is better. It's still there, but not near as bad. I am drinking another cup as I write. So am happy I mentioned the iron thing, else I wouldn't have realized that this combo benefits swelling as well!

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#6 of 17 Old 07-26-2006, 01:56 PM

When to worry: A sudden DRAMATIC swelling in feet, hands, and face, to the point where you cannot bend fingers and you get swelling around your eyes... at least, this is what our childbirth class doula told us. Sounds to me like you have normal swelling (in that your symptoms are exactly like mine, though I haven't been able to wear rings or even my watches in months!!!) I agree with previous posters who suggest upping your H2O intake and puting your feet up. I've actually taken to icing down my feet at the end of extremely hot days!!
#7 of 17 Old 07-26-2006, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Well, my face IS swollen, and I am having trouble bending my fingers. (It's possible, but not fun). I have a call in to the midwives, just waiting to hear back from them.

I'm trying not to be dramatic, but I deal with lots of pregnant women, and my swelling is on the extreme side.

I'll also get some of that nettle tea tomorrow (I have to go in to work at 4:30; no time before then for today)
#8 of 17 Old 07-26-2006, 04:18 PM

I say if you are concerned about it, talk to your care provider. Pre-e can come up slowly or hit hard and fast. I don't like to complain and I usually avoid drs because I can't swallow pills and I figure they'll just give me meds I can't take, but pre-e is scary and worth a trip to the dr to keep both you and baby safe. (BTW, I've had PIH and now borderline pre-e between both my pgs so I'm coming at this from a BTDT perspective).
#9 of 17 Old 07-26-2006, 04:21 PM

Just wanted to update that after 2 cups of organic raspberry leaf/organic stinging nettle combination tea (one last night and one earlier today) my swelling has gone down even more! Still sore to bend my toes, but my feet look so much better! I am going to have another cup right now but likely won't have more than 2 cups per day (midwife recommended 1-2 cups).

I hope everything is okay with you BetsyS! Is there any way you could leave for work a bit early, pick some tea up on your way to work and drink it at work this evening?

#10 of 17 Old 07-26-2006, 05:49 PM

when you push your swelled feet/hands does it leave prints?
I had severe pre-e with my daughter but the only symptoms were high blood pressure and then abdominal pain. (the pre-e cut off is usually 140/90 or 30 points over your baseline). I have alot of swelling this pregnancy and never had it before. They can do a liver panel blood test as well as a 24 hour urine sample if you are worried (and if you are in anyway it is better to get checked and have it be nothing). I keep being reminded that pregnancy in the summer makes swelling worse and blood pressure a bit higher anyways.

let us know how you are doing

tara
#11 of 17 Old 07-26-2006, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

I talked to the office nurse at the midwives today. She told me that I should keep my feet up and reduce my hours at work. . She didn't seem to understand that I needed a medical note to get out of work, that it wasn't just an option to quit (we have to give 90 day notice to quit). Trust me, if I could give a 2 week notice, I soooo would.

So, I'm trying to swap my hours around so that they are a little more tolerable.

I'm just getting tired and whiney, on top of the swelling, so it's not helping matters. And, then I feel guilty, because I'm "one of them"--the tired and whiney masses.
#12 of 17 Old 07-27-2006, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoGranola
Just wanted to update that after 2 cups of organic raspberry leaf/organic stinging nettle combination tea (one last night and one earlier today) my swelling has gone down even more! Still sore to bend my toes, but my feet look so much better! I am going to have another cup right now but likely won't have more than 2 cups per day (midwife recommended 1-2 cups).
Is this something you buy in the store, or do you buy the dry stuff and steep it yourself? I have quite abit of swelling in my feet, have had it for months, and just in the past week my hands are starting too. I'd love to try this tea to see if it helps me!
#13 of 17 Old 07-27-2006, 02:18 PM

My feet and ankles have been swelling pretty notably over the past week or so. It seems like sitting, even on my birth ball, is the biggest culprit. I went swimming last night and it's been the best thing so far to get the swelling to go down.
#14 of 17 Old 07-27-2006, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heide
Is this something you buy in the store, or do you buy the dry stuff and steep it yourself? I have quite abit of swelling in my feet, have had it for months, and just in the past week my hands are starting too. I'd love to try this tea to see if it helps me!
I buy it in loose tea format at my local health food store. The brand I buy is this one http://www.florahealth.com/flora/hom...oducts/tg4.asp I bought the organic raspberry leaves and organic stinging nettle and brew a combo of the two.

I had another cup this morning (4 cups total so far) and my swelling is almost gone. Also, this is the first morning in several months that I have NOT got a cramp in my calf during the night. My craving for ice has also diminished (although not gone) so I must be absorbing the iron. I am actually very surprised how quickly this is working for me and very glad! My last pregnancy I had started on this combo at the start of my 3rd trimester and never had swelling, leg cramps, or low iron so I am kicking myself for not starting earlier this time round.

#15 of 17 Old 07-27-2006, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebemommy
It seems like sitting, even on my birth ball, is the biggest culprit. I went swimming last night and it's been the best thing so far to get the swelling to go down.
That's EXACTLY the same for me too!!!
#16 of 17 Old 07-27-2006, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Swimming helps me, too.

So, after a staff meeting where EVERY single person commented on my swelling and "what is your BP?" and "even your eyes are swollen" and "how much longer are you going to work", I decided to call the midwives again and whine.

And, it worked.... They told me they would write a note so I could stop working!!! Woohoo!! I'm thrilled. Thrilled.

So, hopefully, I can bend my fingers and ankles and knees without pain. I'm just so happy to be ensured that I can stay home and not work....WOohoo!
#17 of 17 Old 07-27-2006, 11:26 PM

BetsyS - that's great! I got my Drs note 4 weeks before delivery (just in time for this CA heatwave). Partly due to swelling but mostly due to the fact that I could get the note and I was tired of working. Plus, now I can take a nap during the day without guilt!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page