This bites (got dumped by my midwives last minute) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 07-26-2006, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 38 weeks and ready to drop at any second. My midwife stopped by my house yesterday to tell me that my iron isn't high enough and they won't do the homebirth. So she gave me a choice of two hospitals to choose from since apparently that's where I'm stuck having the baby at. One is great but is 40 minutes away, the other is only decent but is right next door. I've tried, and no other midwives want to do a homebirth with me this last minute. I keep entertaining the thought of a uc, and I might possibly go that route depending on how I feel at the time. I have nothing prepared for a hospital birth (no plan, I know nothing about the hospital, nothing packed, no childcare arrangement) and I just don't want to do one again (I did a med free one last time). I'd hate to be another "well I had to have a hospital birth because I was so high risk" statistic when I know that I would be fine having tha baby at home. So I'm cranky and bitter and really upset.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#2 of 28 Old 07-26-2006, 07:48 PM

That SUCKS! Would you try some of the MWs on my side of the state and travel? Not that that would be any better. I would be furious!
You know, an OB is not legally able to drop a client without 2 weeks written notice - perhaps it is the same for MWs? Have you contacted MAWS in your area? (The Midwives Alliance of Washington State)? I would! They can either help you with your rights (clarification or what not) or help you find a MW. That's not fair they dumped you.
~Julie

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#3 of 28 Old 07-26-2006, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

My insurance only covers Washington midwife care. Plus I'm placing this baby for adoption so it would just be easier to have the baby nearby here for a ton of reasons. I have considered Oregon, but I just don't think I have the energy to even try right now. I'm in school 9 hours a day, on top of taking care or Zayla, my house, my husband, bills, pets, etc. We're having huge financial issues and I'm having big emotional issues. There just isn't much fight in me at all. I think my plan might be to stay at home as long as possible during the labor, and if I end up having the baby here, then cool. Otherwise I'll just do another crummy hospital birth. If I survived it once, I suppose I can do it again. Hospitals really turn me off though (and I'm a nursing student). It's just not a good, healthy, clean or normal place to have a baby for a dumb reason like this.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#4 of 28 Old 07-26-2006, 08:00 PM

I'm sorry, Melaya. That sucks. I second the idea of having an "oops" birth at home. Maybe you could check out the UC forum to see if it makes sense for you?
#5 of 28 Old 07-26-2006, 08:10 PM

Oh man Melaya - that really bites. I am so sorry. What a crummy thing for them to do to you. I wish I had advice for you - maybe post this on the homebirth forum?
#6 of 28 Old 07-26-2006, 08:57 PM

I'm really sorry! I can't imagine being dropped with that little time left.....although, I would consider dropping a bad midwife or doctor, even this late in the game!!!!!
#7 of 28 Old 07-26-2006, 09:25 PM

I'm sorry to hear that your iron is low enough for your mw to necessitate dropping you as a patient Hopefully you can still have a birth close to the one you were envisioning while still making sure you are safe.

Many hugs!
#8 of 28 Old 07-26-2006, 11:30 PM

That's awful. Why can't they work with you to get your iron up instead of just dropping you? It's more of a rhetorical question. But, man I can't believe that they'd just leave you like that. Best of luck trying to figure out what to do next.
#9 of 28 Old 07-26-2006, 11:49 PM

What are the risks of delivering with such low iron? I mean, doing a UC with low iron would make me nervous if a midwife would consider that high risk. Is it hemorrage or bleeding or what? I would be prepared for a hospital transfer in that case.

Sorry mama, that sucks.

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#10 of 28 Old 07-26-2006, 11:53 PM

From what I understand it's a blood issue - both for hemmorhage and for oxygen - is that your understanding Melaya?

I'm still in Washington... just on the eastern side. There's a birth center here too... maybe we can pm if you are interested.
~Julie

#11 of 28 Old 07-26-2006, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 in August
That's awful. Why can't they work with you to get your iron up instead of just dropping you?
Two weeks isn't enough to increase a crit enough to take it into range. It can take months.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
#12 of 28 Old 07-26-2006, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peilover010202
What are the risks of delivering with such low iron? I mean, doing a UC with low iron would make me nervous if a midwife would consider that high risk. Is it hemorrage or bleeding or what? I would be prepared for a hospital transfer in that case.
Both. You're more likely to bleed, and you have less reserve if you do.

WA is a pretty home-birth friendly state, so if a MW drops you from home birth criteria, I'd take it pretty seriously.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
#13 of 28 Old 07-26-2006, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthFree
From what I understand it's a blood issue - both for hemmorhage and for oxygen - is that your understanding Melaya?

I'm still in Washington... just on the eastern side. There's a birth center here too... maybe we can pm if you are interested.
~Julie
Totally OT - but are you in the Spokane area? Dh and I lived in Moscow, ID for 3 yrs and I'm pining to move back, I SO miss the nice weather, great people, and, well, pretty much everything!

#14 of 28 Old 07-27-2006, 02:05 AM

I am so sorry!! Just wanted to send a big hug your way.

VBAC mamma of two little Vikings
#15 of 28 Old 07-27-2006, 04:21 AM

Be safe
#16 of 28 Old 07-27-2006, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmama
Both. You're more likely to bleed, and you have less reserve if you do.

WA is a pretty home-birth friendly state, so if a MW drops you from home birth criteria, I'd take it pretty seriously.
Thing is, the midwives may not have had a choice in the matter-- I'm not in WA, but I know there is a long list of "risk-out" crap in my state that legally bars a midwife from attending, even if the midwife and mama agreed that care could still be managed at home.

And a lot of that has more to do with the medical lobby than with the supposed safety of the mom and baby.

Sucky situation, Melaya!!!

I'd be real tempted to do an oops at home, too, under the circumstances. But I support you no matter what you wind up doing.
#17 of 28 Old 07-27-2006, 08:23 AM

Ugh. That's so tough. I wish I knew what to say, but I'd be going nuts if that happened to me. I hope you can figure out a way to still have an out-of-hospital birth.

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#18 of 28 Old 07-27-2006, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmama
Eh, unless you are actually HERE, you can't say that and be realisitic (sorry if that sounds awful), it is dramatically changing around here... it's not friendly like you speak of. I mean homebirth MWs are not taking VBACs anymore in the majority of the state just to cover their butts (which I think is almost cowardly and not in the MW spirit at all). I probably have little place to say all this, but there you go anyways... it's what I've seen, heard, etc. when talking to the state MWs, MAWS and such.

(And yep Steph, I'm very near there... care to join us in our 98+ degree weather? ).

#19 of 28 Old 07-27-2006, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthFree
(And yep Steph, I'm very near there... care to join us in our 98+ degree weather? ).
YES! We're in Indiana right now with temps topping 100 with HUMIDITY. Now, I have to say, I'm definitely enjoying our a/c here - we never had a/c when we lived in Idaho.

#20 of 28 Old 07-27-2006, 12:20 PM

Melaya, I'm so sorry. I hope you come to a decision and solution that works for you and your family, and one you can be at peace with.
#21 of 28 Old 07-27-2006, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peilover010202
Totally OT - but are you in the Spokane area? Dh and I lived in Moscow, ID for 3 yrs and I'm pining to move back, I SO miss the nice weather, great people, and, well, pretty much everything!
OMG I went to U of I in Moscow (grew up in Boise)! Small world!
#22 of 28 Old 07-27-2006, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAtThis
Melaya, I'm so sorry. I hope you come to a decision and solution that works for you and your family, and one you can be at peace with.
: It sounds like you've been through SO MUCH w/ this pregnancy... this really sucks.
#23 of 28 Old 07-27-2006, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMidwife
OMG I went to U of I in Moscow (grew up in Boise)! Small world!
WOW! It is a small world! I just LOVED Moscow!

#24 of 28 Old 07-27-2006, 01:26 PM

I'd start loading up on an organic red raspberry leaf/nettle combo tea. It might not get your iron up quick enough for your homebirth, but at least it will aid in getting your iron level up for the birth wherever it may be. A higher iron level will surely benefit you if they are saying low iron is creating risks.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#25 of 28 Old 07-27-2006, 11:35 PM

I am so sorry to hear this!

I do agree with TechnoGranola that it is a good idea to work on getting your iron up regardless of where you end up birthing. Floradix tastes like liquid hell, but it's supposed to be very easily absorbed by the body.
#26 of 28 Old 07-28-2006, 12:56 AM

I started taking floradix and in less then a month went from very low to good mid range. Did they tell you how low you were? That really really sucks, especially since you still have a couple of weeks until you are *due*. I really hope you can figure out something safe that works for you, I know what it is like to not have much choice and it really does suck

tara
#27 of 28 Old 07-28-2006, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pease
Floradix tastes like liquid hell, but it's supposed to be very easily absorbed by the body.
Huh, I always liked the taste! Sweet, like apricot juice.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#28 of 28 Old 07-28-2006, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf
Huh, I always liked the taste! Sweet, like apricot juice.
You think so? Ugh, it leaves an after taste in my mouth that tastes like blood...bleck. Their liquid vitamin and liquid calcium tasted alot more juicy to me!

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page