Please! How do you get rid of the upper back ache? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-27-2006, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think it's b/c my tummy goes straight out and it pulls on my upper middle back muscles - but I can't get rid of this ache no matter WHAT I do and it hurts (not to mention is annoying). I think I really need to see if a chiropractor can do anything for me - but in the meantime... any suggestions?? I tried leaning over but it truly shoves baby into my ribs so that doesn't work.

I'm only going further out too... I could feel my ligaments aching and twinging with growth (yay ) the past few days and the front has been itchy.

:sigh:
I don't know if I could get an inch more uncomfortable.
(But I DID get an incredible swap package today that honestly blew my socks right off and that did give me a MASSIVE pick me up - and Norah Jones is singing my blues for me - and that's nice - but my body still hates me).
~Julie

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#2 of 8 Old 07-27-2006, 10:52 PM

um lets see i think the best treatment is to........have a baby

i know the muscles you mean. try sitting up straight. i know its harder to do but it won't stretch your muscles out as much. when your sitting have a pillow in the small of your back to force you to have that curve.
i haven't had to much bad back pain this time around (HUGE suprise!!!) but i've had alot of pelvic pain.
#3 of 8 Old 07-27-2006, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Well... but it's the upper back muscles - so even when I sit straight... it hurts. If I sit extra arching my upper back it helps for a moment and then it doesn't. I really feel like I need to stretch by leaning forward - but obviously *that* isn't going to happen.

Yep, looks like have the baby is it. Too bad it's like another 4w!!

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#4 of 8 Old 07-28-2006, 07:59 AM

I have the same thing, had it with my last pg too. The pillow in the small of my back really seems to help. I keep one in the car. The driver's seat has lumbar so I'm fine if I drive but I use the pillow when dh is driving. Sorry you're so uncomfortable.

~Robyn mama to
James, Sean, Christopher, and Michael~

#5 of 8 Old 07-28-2006, 09:27 AM

I am so sorry. I feel for you. I have the same problem. Everyone says my belly is so cute, and it is, but it is so hard on your back to carry this way. ALL my weight is straight forward. It pulls on my middle back.

The only position that I have found comfortable is to sit on my birth ball and lean over my bed. Honestly nothing else has worked for me. The lumbar support is great too, but for me the support needs to be a bit higher, so when Im riding in the car, I always stick my sling wadded up behind my middle back.

Hope that helps. I am hoping it is not too much longer for us. Take care!
#6 of 8 Old 07-28-2006, 12:24 PM

I've had that recently (esp when sitting at my desk job all day). The chiro really does help, but mostly I find relief sitting on my birth ball, with my hips spread wide apart and legs spread far apart too. It also feels good to lean over the birth ball (think hands and knees) and rolling from tips of hands up to belly on the ball (on my knees.)

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#7 of 8 Old 07-28-2006, 12:39 PM

Two things have helped me with this -- lying on the couch on my side with my back supported by the couch, or lying on my back with a buckwheat hull pillow under the pain in question. I know back lying is sketchy but sometimes I have to do it for a little while or I go nuts.
#8 of 8 Old 07-28-2006, 12:56 PM

I've had this almost chronically from the second trimester on...what helped for me was
1-chiropractor...
2- yoga. There's a move where you sit cross legged or tailor sitting, raise your arms over your head, clasp your hands, bend your elbows, and rest your hands, palms up, on the back of your head with your elbows pointing out. Hold it a take a few deep breaths. It works wonders for me!
Good luck! Hope the discomfort fades soon!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page