I'm carrying a spastic octopus!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-28-2006, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anybody else riddled by a baby whose movement and force have tripled in the past week?

I feel like three octopuses are battling a lobster in my belly! We can see little triangles poking through the skin, and the whole thing heaves like a blancmange in an earthquake. And when she gets hiccups, it's like she's bouncing on my cervix with her head while tickling my hips with her hands while kicking the tar out of anything her little feet can reach. For 45 minutes.

What on earth is my baby doing in there? Tae Bo? :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 07-28-2006, 11:38 AM

My baby rarely stops moving. It is quite a change from my first.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#3 of 12 Old 07-28-2006, 12:01 PM

My son is so squirmy that I have a hard time falling asleep at night. He pokes and jabs me so hard I can just feel my poor organs turning to jello. And what is really up with him running into my cervix??
#4 of 12 Old 07-28-2006, 01:39 PM

I had that until about 34 weeks when s/he slowed down considerably. Before that it was constant crazy movement. But now interestingly Shrimp seems to be on a normal sleep schedule; I feel no movement all night (whereas before it was waking me up), and no movement during the boys' naptime. I think all the other times there's just too much kid noise keeping Shrimp awake. Now if only it could stay this way AFTER the birth!!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#5 of 12 Old 07-28-2006, 01:45 PM

Wow, the spastic octopus sounds like an interesting kid! Mine's still moving as much as he ever did, but it's always been more like he's putting up drywall in there. Though now his kicks practically knock me over.
#6 of 12 Old 07-28-2006, 01:51 PM

Yep! This kid has definitely earned his/her nickname...Thumper!
#7 of 12 Old 07-28-2006, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Well, the MW has solved the octopus mystery... tadpole has moved down into my pelvis. Woohoo!

Finally got her hard little noggin off my hip shelf and is shoved right on down in there. MW said some babies prefer to be tight and cozy, and they're the ones that are born and shove their little heads into the corner of the crib every night, while other babies like a lot of room and will thrash and toss in their crib. Seems like tad's taking after her daddy and doesn't like to be confined, not even in my pelvis. I love this kid already!
#8 of 12 Old 07-28-2006, 02:35 PM

Newatthis: Thumper! I love it!

Yeah, whoever said the movements slow down at the end really shouldn't assume all babies are the same. Although my midwives think I have a tiny baby (not a shock since I was only 5.6 oz full term) so she has plenty of room to still move around in there. Anyways, I will say she sleeps well at night or at least holds still. Sometimes takes a while to settle down when I first lay down and tends to wake up with the alarm clock and start poking around. But yeah, triangles poking everywhere from the elbows, feet, heels, butt, chin, you name it! And only about 2 weeks to go!
#9 of 12 Old 07-28-2006, 03:03 PM

I love the spastic octopus mental picture! ROFLOL!! This litlle guy has his moments. Sometimes I feel my whole body wiggle when he starts jumping around. If I sleep on my right side, I can fell him pushing off the bed with his feet and bouncing off the other side of my belly. Dd never did anything like that, so it's kind of funny.
#10 of 12 Old 07-28-2006, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 in August
I love the spastic octopus mental picture! ROFLOL!!
: My movement patterns have stayed pretty consistent (definite sleep/wake cycles) w/ the exception of the one day about a week ago when s/he moved CONSTANTLY for 2 & 1/2 hours... it was just bizarre (& quick uncomfortable!). Now back to regular patterns.
#11 of 12 Old 07-28-2006, 06:54 PM

Funny!

I feel like the baby is moving around the same amount, but that the movements are stronger, which makes sense I guess...

It is so odd to have a foot sticking out of my side though, really!

--kristin
#12 of 12 Old 07-28-2006, 09:38 PM

Spastic octopus! That's *exactly* what I have!!!

Honestly, i'm at 36 weeks, he's supposed to be average for size, and his head has been down in my pelvis for a couple of weeks. And he's moving a LOT. Especially at night when I'm trying to get to sleep. I felt so bad last night...I was actually getting mad at the poor thing because he was kicking and squirming for hours and I couldn't sleep! Poor baby...mom getting mad at him just for being squirmy If I had that little space, I'd probably be squirmy too! It doesn't help that I'm carrying *really* small--he's got to be totally cramped in there, plus I don't have much if any fat layer in front of him so I feel *everything*.

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page